It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McAfee antivirus program goes berserk, freezes PCs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

McAfee antivirus program goes berserk, freezes PCs

news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK – Computers in companies, hospitals and schools around the world got stuck repeatedly rebooting themselves Wednesday after an antivirus program identified a normal Windows file as a virus.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I really think there may have been more to this than meets the eye.

I would like to know if any ATS members use McAfee and did they have any odd or bizarre behavior today from their PCs.

Its claimed that the file McAfee detected was part of Windows and that it was a harmelss file, but I am not so sure. Windows collects various data on its users and sends it back to Microsoft. Supposedly the data is anonymous, but I am pretty sure IP addresses are logged. Maybe McAfee picked up on some Echelon related Trojan.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21/4/10 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
They aren't very specific about this incident in the article, but one way I could see this happening is this:

Most AV software doesn't just check for known bad files, it also checks for bad behaviours. One example I have seen before is global keyboard hooks. These can be useful (ie for things like macro recorders), but also could be used for things like keyloggers. So, many AV software seem to detect if a program tries to make a global keyboard hook, and report it as suspicious. There are other potentially dangerous functions that the AV will keep an eye on.

The programs that make up the Windows system will also have references to these functions, but the AV people I assume will whitelist known safe files.

If the whitelist gets broken somehow, perhaps by a simple error, or MS changing some internals, it could cause the AV to react like this.

That would be my more mundane theory for this incident, but of course, in my scenario of MS changing the internals somewhere, they could be changing it in a bad way as you suggest.

If it was a trojan planted by MS/Government though, I would expect the AV to ignore it. If I recall correctly, many AV vendors agreed to quietly ignore things like the 'magic lantern' software in the past, and may do again.

[edit on 21/4/2010 by harpsounds]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
As a McAfee user myself, this news is not very comforting. Should I use something else? Norton?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

I hate McAfee.
I'm a loyal Webroot customer, and always will be.
Ironically, when I was recently financially incapable of renewing my Webroot subscription, I had gotten a free McAfee program through my school so I tried it out (even though I don't like them, some protection is better than none.)
I had some systemic errors from the minute I installed it.
I used it for about a week or two but once I was able to re-opt with Webroot, I kicked McAfee's sorry butt out the door (figuratively speaking.)
McAfee conflicts with way too many programs and all of it's bells and whistles just seem like they're just for show.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Symantec's Norton Antivirus recently reinstalled itself on my computer and now shows "YOU HAVE NO INTERNET SECURITY!" large popup with multiple links to the same "BUY SOFTWARE" thing.

It is annoying and I never liked it now this draws the last straw. I use Kaspersky and it doesn't insanely popup on boot and slow my PC down.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBloodRed

Norton and McAfee are both very invasive.
They'll install spyware on your computer just to show you how vulnerable your computer is.
They play dirty pool, those guys.
Webroot all the way.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Matthew Dark

Norton and McAfee are free for military and DOD personnel. It can be downloaded through the defense (DKO) or branch portals like AKO.

Hmmm.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Now that I didn't know, but it makes sense.
Apparently it's free for some health care students, such as myself.
So, why don't us COBRA agents get a little something special, eh?
Looking at you Commander...
Hook a brotha up!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I have used McAfee for years with no issues. Norton always acted buggy for me, so we went to McAfee 5-6 years back.

I hadn't heard of this issue till I read it here.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
this is a repost.
2nd line

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Bah I'm glad.
McAfee returned my resume for a job and said thanks but no thanks.
Serves them right.

Symantec allowed me to interview with them when I was living in Eugene OR. Nice people.

My beta testing and Tech support Skillz were not what they were hiring for at the time. They were hiring for outside sales at the time. They emailed me a few weeks back and asked if I would come in for another interview?

I'm now living 500 miles away

AAARRRGGGHHH!

[edit on 21-4-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Not to derail the thread or anything but, I find it funny that I never have any problems with my computer until I install an anti-virus.

Just food for thought

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Both Norton and McAfee consumer versions are super 'PC cloggers'.. but the trick is to get the Norton Corporate Edition... It's super refined, and eats up less memory..

You WILL pay more, but you own it for life. No 'subscription' BS.

I have a friend in OZ (Norton is there) gave me a free copy for working for him.

BTW, McAfee has been around the longest.. even in the DOS days--anyone remember BBSing? SCAN99.EXE (the 99 is the version #) it was THE DOS scanner.

IMO, get multiple scanners, but KEEP the software definitions UPDATED or its useless.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBloodRed

Are you sure it's actually Norton? I had a virus a few months back that gave me a pop-up telling me I had no virus protection and wanting me to click the link in the pop-up to purchase their software. The one I had said it was Windows Internet Security, intended to make me think it was a real Windows program I'm sure, but it still wouldn't hurt to make sure your pc hasn't been infected with a virus in disguise.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Pharyax

Yes I do.
From my experience. Most peoples Computer problems result from an

EBKAC error

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
i don't have mcafree and its being doing this a week, its flashplayer they sent out a dodgy update that had to be re updated

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
O, for home (non-business) user I recommend AVAST - a very good software.

Well, about the issue - hard to say! Anti-viruses are designed to detect patterns from databases. If a file is actually "by design" behaving according to a pattern of the database, it will be assumed it is a virus. And.. maybe it is! So yep, maybe the main issue was... that McAfee is too good!

For peace of mind , i recommend Linux. I use it on two of my computers at home , I really have no such issue as viruses.

One easy to use Linux version is UBUNTU - free of course!

here we go :
www.ubuntu.com...

This one is good, i like the "software center" where you can find about 2400 100% free applications you can install . Also to notice a very friendly community, I always find responses to my question using their help (Ubuntu forum)

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian
This one is good, i like the "software center" where you can find about 2400 100% free applications you can install . Also to notice a very friendly community, I always find responses to my question using their help (Ubuntu forum)

Not to be confused with most free sites where the novice will download and install every possible third party free software available, horribly clogging their machines.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Pharyax

The Corporate Edition is free for all US military and Department of Defense personnel.

If you know anyone in the military, they could log onto a military portal like AKO and download it on to your PC.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join