It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery of Saturn's Hexagon: SOLVED

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

The Oxford researchers made a model of Saturn's North Pole. A slowly-spinning cylinder of water represented Saturn's atmosphere, and a small, rapidly-spinning ring represented a jet stream. They added some fluorescent green dye, and got a pretty well-defined hexagon.

By playing with the speed of the ring, the researchers could make nearly any shape that they wanted. The greater the difference in speed between the water and the ring, the fewer sides the polygon had. The shape seems to be bound by eddies that slowly orbit and confine the inner ring into the polygon.

Apparently, these shapes are not uncommon in fluid dynamics and can even be seen in hurricanes. This seems to be an example of a well-known phenomenon in one field being relevant to another in a completely unexpected way. But it takes a while for each community to be aware of the other one's results.

Source

I always wondered how the hexagon on Saturn came to be, that's pretty cool.

I remember when those Casini photos first came out, conspiracy theorists had a field day, especially Hoagland with his loony "hyperdimentional physics" model. I guess it's easy to throw out wacky theories when you have absolutely no idea wtf you're talking about

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
haha it's solved but i have no idea what that explanation meant. This has been a great mystery and hopefully someone can explain it a bit easier.

I always thought it was cool that Saturn had the Hexagram and Venus/Earth had the Pentagram:

www.lunarplanner.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Potentially solved... that is.

A theory. We won't know for sure until we get there.

I still like the concept of it being made by beings-more cool.

You're probably right though. A pretty good theory at that.

Nice find. S&F

[edit on 4/20/2010 by anon72]

[edit on 4/21/2010 by anon72]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
What a boring practical explanation for something that had the potential to be mind bangingly awesome. This was one of those things I couldn't hear enough about. The possibilities were always just running through my head about what it could be. Very neat to know this theory though, sounds reasonable.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Its not solved. Its a shame those researchers hadnt heard of cymantics. The effects of geometry in rotating fluids have been created in labs for decades. What they havnt explained is why the effects occur in the first place, any idiot can see saturn is just a large scale case of this anomaly. Dissapointing. They will not be able to explain the geometry using the free-mason manipulated paradigm of old.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by polarwarrior]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I'm not quite convinced of their research paradigm. Moving gas and or liqiud in a cylinder is quite different than planetary geophysics.
It reminds me of how you can simulate a tornado by using two soda bottles connected together. One is empty, while the other is filled with fluid. You turn it over an the water drains out into the empty bottle. What forms on the top is the "tornado." This simulation has very little to do with the actual meteorological events that form a true tornado.
IMHO.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Is that a round object in the middle if so saturn would need a round object as well ,
Like what was said before i doubt this is it I like to keep it a mystery

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

'The formation of such a steady, symmetrical pattern, slowly drifting around a tank, seems to be directly analogous to what appears to be happening on Saturn itself on a scale of thousands of kilometres,' Peter adds.

The experiments demonstrate that at least one possible end-product of such an instability is the production of a steady, polygonal shape that calculations suggest could also occur on Saturn.

'While this does not prove that Saturn's hexagon definitely occurs via the same processes as in our experiments, it does demonstrate that it could do so, and suggests other things for scientists to look for that may help to improve our understanding of Saturn's atmosphere.'
Physorg

Planetary scientist Kevin Baines of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, is impressed. “These results are very intriguing,” he says. “The team has formed what I think is a landmark paper that could stand the test of time.” Although the lab experiment does not explain what force is driving this particular jet stream, he says that the results can give real insight into what might be going on in Saturn’s atmosphere.
Saturn's Strange Hexagon Recreated in the Lab

Thanks for posting the story. I remember being intrigued when the first images of the hexagon came out. The guys aren't claiming 100% explained, but it's looking close

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
I'm not quite convinced of their research paradigm. Moving gas and or liqiud in a cylinder is quite different than planetary geophysics.
It reminds me of how you can simulate a tornado by using two soda bottles connected together. One is empty, while the other is filled with fluid. You turn it over an the water drains out into the empty bottle. What forms on the top is the "tornado." This simulation has very little to do with the actual meteorological events that form a true tornado.
IMHO.

Air is a fluid. A vortex is a spiral motion of fluid. As water is spiraling down toward the bottom bottle, air from the bottom bottle is rushing up through the center of the fluid vortex due to lower pressure, just like a tornado. You should really learn a little about these things. Also, think about scale models and how they apply to entire planets.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

While dynamics of gases and liquids are in many respects similar there are not same. Hence statement "Air is fluid" is incorrect. Gases have no such quality as surface tension for example.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Oh please!
If it was a lower pressure, how did it rise? What overly simplistic, erroneous, garbage are you trying to sell?
What do you think Boyle's law has to do with this bottle model, or Newton"s law?
Here are some sites to help understand tornadoes.
www.nssl.noaa.gov...
www.crh.noaa.gov...
www.fcgov.com...
But the OP is about Planetary geophysics. The data was just recently released and not yet duplicated (we do that in the field of science).
My question is how is this relevant to the duplication of the Saturn Jet stream. What forces are at work causing it to go from a six sided pattern to a hexagonal shape?
This form is not new to scientists here on Earth and has been documentation in Hurricanes. It is related to the rotational speeds created forming a shear flow, in which the azimuthal flow changes with the radius.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Right. Well even if it's not a perfect simulation, it does seem like a good theory worthy of consideration and perhaps more testing. Maybe they can develop a more realistic model of planetary physics to convince you.

In the meantime, I don't have any better explanation for the Saturn hexagon, do you?

Interesting video in any case.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by zeddissad

In fluid dynamics and mechanics and university we were tought air is a fluid. Well actually you learn it first as school and they assume you know such a concept before hand. Understand that fluid is a term used to describe both liquid and gasseos phases even plasmas and plastic solids that flow under an applied shear stress. It is incorrect to say fluids have surface tension, its not that the prescence of no surface tension discludes it from fluid catagorization as you alluded to. If one wants to specify which fluid state they are refering to the appropriate term of liquid for example will inherently imply the property of surface tension or cohesion.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

What's REALLY strange with Saturn is that in adition to there being found the hexagonal pattern around it's pole, it conjuncts with the Sun relative to Earth in a hexagonal pattern aswell, in the same way Venus conjuncts with the Sun relative to Earth in a pentagonal pattern.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Neo Christian Mystic

Im very interested. Got any links?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Do the maths. You'd find the numbers from searching for these planets' orbits and when they are "morning stars". For instance there are traditionally 584 days between every time Venus is the Morning star. And Saturn uses about 30 years to circle the sun, so I'll leave you with the enigma
A calculator should do the trick... Jupiter has a twelve sided pattern in the same way.

[edit on 21/4/2010 by Neo Christian Mystic]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I know exactly what is causing Saturn's hexagon and I can explain in detail what drives its motion.

Of course, that's because I'm not an idiot that believes in Einstein's retarded theories of bending space.

Saturn's poles exhibit classic electrical current morphology.

(from Wal Thornhill's Holoscience.com)
(Left) Vortices of a 90 kiloamp electron beam etched onto a carbon ‘witness plate’ (courtesy of H. Davis), (right) Vortices of a 56 microamp electron beam photographed on a fluorescent screen (courtesy of H. F. Webster).

“One of the outstanding problems in the propagation of electron beams along an axial magnetic field is the breakup of the beam into discrete vortex-like current bundles when a threshold determined by either the beam current or distance of propagation is surpassed. The vortices of the diocotron instability are found to occur over 12 orders of magnitude in beam current. This mechanism was first introduced to explain auroral curtains by Hannes Alfvén.”

—From Physics of the Plasma Universe by Anthony Peratt.

For more details and imagery, see Peratt's paper.
public.lanl.gov...

Of course, such research is completely ignored by Einsteinian relativists claiming that the invisible God Zeus magically reconnects magnetic fields together and spins planets by bending space.

Real physicists have known for nearly a century that field aligned electric currents power the auroras, as was first postulated by Birkeland and later confirmed by numerous satellites.

Don't expect to hear the "E" word get dropped though when communist lying fraudsters called "cosmologists" give you explanations.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeddissad

While dynamics of gases and liquids are in many respects similar there are not same. Hence statement "Air is fluid" is incorrect. Gases have no such quality as surface tension for example.

You need to get your terms right. Fluid does not equate to liquid.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
How about some more on Saturn, from my "Einstein Was Wrong" article.

21. Saturn’s rings are observed to emit radio waves. This is not well explained at all by gravitational models of ring formation. Further, to quote the KTH paper on Saturn's rings:

We present several independent in-situ measurements, which provide evidence that charged dust in the E-ring interacts collectively with the dense surrounding plasma disk of Saturn, i.e., form a system of dust-plasma interaction.

Such interaction was well predicted by Alfven who died long before Cassini took Langmuir probe measurements of the rings. Alfven also managed to predict Uranus's ring before its discovery.

Further, Peratt has demonstrated in the laboratory how electron beam vortices can account for Saturn's hexagon. This of course goes hand in hand with Birkeland's, and later Alfven's, theories of how and why auroras are formed.

------------

I could go on, but why bother. Saturn is an absolute cluster frack for the standard model. The more we learn about Saturn, the more the standard model falls apart on its own.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I started a topic related to this a few months back, but I couldn't find a video showing Tomas Bohr's spinning bucket...

Saturn's Mysterious Hexagon Emerges from Winter Darkness

Nice find OP!

I was under the impression that this has been scientific fact for years, but I guess my thoughts on Saturn's Hexagon were ahead of the curve

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join