It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll- What do you think of Eminem?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I want to hear what the people at ATS think of Eminem. I for one think he is a bad infulence on our nation's children and that he is going to far with what he sings.

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 02:23 PM
link   
its cRAP!!!

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I agree it is carp, Eminem plus Ludicris, Nelly, and Ssnoop Dog or what ever he is called now. It is nothing but flith and saying f**** every other second. But I do approve of the rap that Will Smith sings that is clean.

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I put other because he seems to be somewhat talented the way he puts his ryhmes together, but he sends the wrong message. He promotes violence, woman degradation, and drugs and unfortunately he has become popular with our younger generation. I know when I was growing up that I wanted to be just like the people that I looked up to. I hope kids don't view him as a role model, if you've ever heard his lyrics you know what I mean. I'm not an Eminem fan but think he has some kind of talent, just not using it right.

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Well sadly this is true. Becuase of Eminem and other bad rappers we ahve children as young as ten calling other 10 year old girls bitches and 'hos this is madness.

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 02:34 PM
link   
1) You don't "sing" rap. You speak it. This, of course, is for the music illiterate.

2) I voted "other" as.... For me, it depends on the song. If it's "Without Me" then I have really no problem with it. It is the scouge called "Cleanin' Out my Closet" that makes him look extremely bad in the public eye. I mean, he's rapping about killing his mother and stuffing her in a closet. That is just not frickin' acceptable for anyone to hear.

While I do tend to hold free speech dear, but rapping murder of girlfriends and mothers and gays and other such things in horrible. I mean, have you ever heard something as dirty as what he tries getting on the air. He is not an evil person, i admit it.... but his lyrics should be banned from stores and airways immediately.

arc

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 02:45 PM
link   
looks like I be a minority again....

Is he actually 'promoting' the things that he sings about, or is he just stating that they happen and because his style is somewhat self deprecatory and tongue in cheek too many people miss the point of what he's actually getting at?

I agree that some rappers are indeed guilty of believing and promoting everything that they sing about. But have any of you actually sat down and watched what eminem has to say on his music?

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Arc, explain the song "Kim" to me where he graphically kills his girlfriend. She screams and screams and he yells over and over "Bleed bitch bleed" Am I missing something?

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by arc
looks like I be a minority again....

Is he actually 'promoting' the things that he sings about, or is he just stating that they happen and because his style is somewhat self deprecatory and tongue in cheek too many people miss the point of what he's actually getting at?

I agree that some rappers are indeed guilty of believing and promoting everything that they sing about. But have any of you actually sat down and watched what eminem has to say on his music?

That's the problem. It is hard to understand who is just using it for show and who is a "believer" of what the preach. As I see it, Eminem is just using his lyrics to "entertain."

However, this does not excuse him from publish such rubbish. I mean, how would you feel if you were his mother(although that is probably show as well)? Or his girlfriend? His songs are not legal in any sense of the word, as it could be considered a threat.

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 02:57 PM
link   
emenem is a guy in drastic need of therapy. (actually I think we are all exposed to his public therapy through his music)

He has mined what he thinks is a tragic past for music and lyrics, how much of that is true or not I don't know. Indeed he is talened but so self absorbed as to be meaningless, a real navel gazer.

Must be a boring person in real life... me, me, me .... but definatly talented..

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 03:00 PM
link   
And please explain to me in his songs that are about killing gays, killing women, killing his mother. And he does not say "Today I shoot my mommy" he does it in a violent adn graphic way. I think that most parebnts who allow their kids to listen to it are either crak heads or they do not know what he sings about.

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 03:00 PM
link   
And please explain to me in his songs that are about killing gays, killing women, killing his mother. And he does not say "Today I shoot my mommy" he does it in a violent adn graphic way. I think that most parebnts who allow their kids to listen to it are either crak heads or they do not know what he sings about.

arc

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 03:10 PM
link   
he's openly admitted that him and his girlfriend had a pretty horrendous relationship, as did he and his mother. Just because he sings openly about his anger towards certain people in his life, doesn't mean that he encourages anyone else to act out extreme feelings.

How many times has someone really p***ed you off and you've thought about how much you'd like to hurt or kill them? Maybe you've written your feelings down if thats the way you handle stuff. Does feeling that way mean you will act it out? Does publicising those feelings mean you condone other people acting it out?

If you don't like his music then feel free not to listen to it. And if you have small children then you obviously have the right not to let them to listen to certain music because of the language (don't know about the US, but in UK eminem's albums have a parental advisory sticker on them).

However certain elements of society have been trying since rock and roll was created to blame musicians for the actions of their fans. Think of all the satanic crap blamed on metal groups - and how seriously most of us take it (not)

At the end of the day you live in a country that supposedly promotes freedom of speech. And therefore hand in hand with that idea should come the promotion of self censorship. Unless you can prove beyond all doubt that a large percentage of fans will act out whatever negative act or emotion a musician sings about, then all you can do is not listen to it and let those of us that appreciate what he has to say listen to it.

btw i listen to eminem, soil, nine inch nails, disturbed, ministry, ggfh, hed PE.... and oddly enough I don't have the urge to say f**k every 3 words, kill people or commit suicide. However I get rid of a lot of pent up aggression dancing to this music, whilst not drinking.

Sometimes for a change I go to 'nice' clubs, and watch smart men in nice shirts getting violently drunk to mass produced pop music and either beating the crap out of each other or treating women like s**t.

Still want to blame the lyrics?

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Arc, the point that young children can listen to him. We should put his music in a Adults Only section of a store. And one more thing arc, you might know that it is wrong to do what sings about but some kids dont. He has no talent what so ever. All he does is ryme which any one can do. Look I can ryme so am I soo great and mighty?

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 03:17 PM
link   
when I have kids, they won't be listening to him, at least until they're old enough...

Music (or at least what people claim is music) is pretty subjective...as long as others don't have to listen to it, people are free to listen to whatever they like... Just don't play it where I can hear it...phones were invented for a reason....

Actually, I think his song for the 8 Mile movie is pretty catchy... Can't say I care for any of his others though...

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 03:22 PM
link   
As far as i read, no one yet has blamed the lyrics that eminem puts out there for other people's actions. The problem I have with Eminem is the content of his lyrics. They depict death of people he should care about, not want to kill. He is putting the most violent sh*t out there that I have ever seen.

Also, I have no problem with Disturbed or 9 Inch Nails or any of them, mainly cause that's the type of music I listen to myself. But Eminem has crossed a line in the lyric department of that type of music. he's putting out songs that contain graphic "word-pictures" of him murdering his mother, his girlfriend.... He publicly condones blacks and gays.... This may be a nice guy, but he sure as hell doesn't show it.

I still stand by my opinion that Eminem should be banned from all airways and stores

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I see your point arc. It's not really about acting on what he sings about. He is planting seeds in our young childrens heads, and as most of them wont sprout, some might. You said that you dont walk around saying f**k every 3 words. I'm close to age in you, and dont think we had exposure to this type of thing as we grew up as young kids in the 80's. I see kids today and alot of them have no respect for their elders. I think the two most popular types of role models are musicians and athletes and every day they're in the news for negative reasons. I don't blame the kids, but who they look up to sometimes reflects in their actions. And I dont think that you can argue to not let them listen, because there is always a way to get your hands on something if you really want to. You see kids dying their hair blonde all over, if they want to look like him what makes you think they dont want to act like him? I do think he is talented but his lyrics are garbage in my opinion.

arc

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 03:27 PM
link   
JM I'm not forcing you to enjoy his music, just saying it shouldn't be banned!

I don't know how the US compares with the UK in censorship - over here radio stations will either edit out expletives or if that's too arduous a task - just not play it. And like I said in my other post - parental advisory stickers on cd's in shops.

Gazrok - 8 Mile is actually a pretty decent film

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by arc
JM I'm not forcing you to enjoy his music, just saying it shouldn't be banned!

I don't know how the US compares with the UK in censorship - over here radio stations will either edit out expletives or if that's too arduous a task - just not play it. And like I said in my other post - parental advisory stickers on cd's in shops.

Gazrok - 8 Mile is actually a pretty decent film

US is about the same as the UK then... but....

It doesn't matter. The curses will be out, but the overall theme of his crap will still be in there. He's able to not use very many curses(at least in what they play over here) and still get the point of the rap across. Just getting rid of the obscenities will not help.

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 03:37 PM
link   
his music is ok sometimes, but as for every station in every city playing it every other song that gets annoying. other than that obecenities don't bug me, he's laughin his arse all the way to the bank with it and in this sadistical place we live in capitolism can be a very good friend or a painful stick in your arse. for him it's been both and i don't care!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join