It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speeding tickets from space using satellites.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

High-tech speed cameras which use satellites to track motorists on secret trial in Britain

Speed cameras which communicate with each other by satellite are being secretly tested on British roads. The hi-tech devices can follow drivers’ progress for miles to calculate whether they have broken speed limits.

Combining number plate recognition technology with global positioning satellites, they can be set up in a network to monitor tens of thousands of cars over huge areas for the smallest breach.
Known as SpeedSpike, the system uses similar methods of recognition as the cameras which enforce the congestion charge in London, and allow two cameras to 'talk' to each other if a vehicle appears to have travelled too far in too short a space of time.

After a covert national trial which has not been publicised until now, just days after a report showed motorists have been fined almost £1billion in speeding tickets under Labour, authorities hope the new cameras will enable them to re-create the system used on motorway contraflows.

Full Story

It's not enough that cameras spy on us from the streets while driving. Now they want to spy on people from space. Is this really necessary? Is it truly cost effective? Is it legal?

If this gets implemented, how many more uses will TPTB find for this type of intrusion? Sorry sir. You're being arrested for committing a traffic violation. No, we can't tell you how this was witnessed. It's a secret spy program...

This technology is already there. And in use. What are they already watching us do?

[edit on 20-4-2010 by webpirate]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
You seem to misunderstand the technology.

They wont physically be watching you, they will just be using the satellites to monitor the GPS chip installed in your car, to calculate how fast you are moving.

They are technically watching you, but not actually seeing you.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I really wonder if Britain could pull this off. They are likely
to be bankrupt in the next year of so...

Contrast their attitude to Germany who still
has sections of Auto Bahn without speed limits.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by areyosicker
You seem to misunderstand the technology.

They wont physically be watching you, they will just be using the satellites to monitor the GPS chip installed in your car, to calculate how fast you are moving.

They are technically watching you, but not actually seeing you.

SpeedSpike uses automatic number plate recognition technology, which in 2008 took photos of 64 million of motorists in Britain - ten times more than the previous year.

If the camera can distinguish between license plates it can also distinguish faces.... or at least be designed to.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

They are using the current cameras, the ones that are aimed at license plates. They aren't using a giant satellite camera.

Re-read the article you posted.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
yeah, but it still the same concept of trying to monitor everything we do in our day to day lives. The full body scanners, the DNA records that the government and police want to hold against people, the world of cctv tracking your every move, the RFID chips. The world has become like a prison with every human beings moves being watched constantly and with the goverment wanting to know your intentions regarding everything.

Its insane how we live and abide by all these silly laws and restrictions without anybody speaking out about our rights and our freedoms. Ultimatley the laws will continue to be thrown at us until we are under marshal law.

As for the speed cameras, this starts to cross the line.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by areyosicker
reply to post by webpirate

They are using the current cameras, the ones that are aimed at license plates. They aren't using a giant satellite camera.

Re-read the article you posted.

There's not even a GPS part in the car, it's in the camera stations, and it's used to get a time reference, nothing more.

PDF, describing the system accurately, unlike that article from Daily Mail

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The police in the united kingdom have the ability to capture an image of the driver, they can do this one from the various speed cameras when one is caught speeding. The ANPR system that the police use (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) can also be used to gain an image of the driver. Along side this certain cctv cameras within city centres are fitted with ANPR technology and can notify patrol cars with information regarding your vechile.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
thank god i ride a bike, they have no power over my speed

AND they can't make me pay rediculous prices for gas

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Very well, it seems i misunderstood it as well.

I was just going off of what was stated in another thread about this.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by areyosicker

Probably by me, at one time the road charge system in the UK was going to be GPS with a GSM phone link for the data, we bid on designing a module like it.

Apparently it was cheaper to use tag readers.

Come to think of it, we did a DSP board for an Australian company some time back that was doing something similar with speed radar and a camera setup.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

I might be confusing it with another article i read. In that one it talked about why the government was so keen to get every car a GPS system.

So you can be monitored no matter where you go.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
areyosicker, I think I know which thread you are referring to, however was this thread quite some while ago ?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AG123

Indeed it was. I can not even remember the poster or the thread title, but i will attempt to search for it.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
solution

it is still legal

since you don't actually touc the tracker....
maybe allready buy now

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Dumbass

Yes, but as we are discussing, if the signal is coming from the cameras and not your car, then having a GPS blocker is pointless anyway.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by areyosicker

then the usual infrared reflector still works fine. it is a transparant sticker.

two tips;
1 don't get caught, it's illegal
2 just use it on one letter or number, the system will just dismiss it as non-readable..

top topics

join