It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing the ATS Conspiracy Chicks

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
I'm rather surprised at some of the negative, and even vicious commentary from some members here.

Perhaps if we found some angry, slobbering, less-attractive middle-aged man who screams at the camera and carries a bullhorn in public, the nay-sayers would be happy... dunno.

Oooooh, Ouch!! ROTFLMAO!

That's it, you've really done it now! You are now in deep, deep doo with Alex's Jewish or Jesuit masters!

Now you know AJ and Bermas are going to retaliate and mock,taunt, ridicule and belittle us all on their shows, twice, maybe even three times as much as they already do!

Thanks a LOT!

[edit on 19-4-2010 by MajorDisaster]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

OK, well replace one of the 'chicks' with a pic of Johnny & I'll be happy.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
I remember a day when men at ATS were impressed with the intelligence of the women here. In fact shocked might be more apt.
Portray that.
Perhaps let these smart women decide what they want to say? Give them some creative license?

I second that!

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by NephraTari
I have an immense amount of respect for Ashley and Asala. Both are brilliant and insightful. ATS is supposed to be hard hitting and serious and yet you are packaging these two gems as meat to dangle in front of the camera and instead of presenting the news in a serious hard hitting way you first tried comedy and now cheesy sexuality. I am sooo disappointed that you think that people are not interested in these topics unless it is wrapped up in some pretty paper to amuse them. How very FOX NEWS of you. This could have been a great thing. *shakes head*

Quoted for Agreement. OK, where to begin?

1. First, I would NEVER hold it against someone that they happen to be attractive, case in point.........my wife. Anyone who has EVER read ANY of my posts knows I am NOT a prude.

2. Regarding terminology "chicks / hotties / cuties"

Either of the above terms could get you reprimanded, fired or sued for sexual harrassment in a modern workplace.

SEXUAL POLLUTION

There are some acts perceived by the recipient to have a "sexual nature" that are offensive and annoying, but may not be sexual harassment. These offensive behaviors in the workplace pollute the working environment. Therefore, these acts have been labeled sexual pollution. Sexual pollution has the potential of becoming a sexually harassing act. It is an offensive act and should be considered improper. Examples of sexual pollution are: continuous "pet" name calling, such as "baby," "sweetie, "or " honey"; referring to an individual as a "hunk," "fox," or "broad"; referring to men in general as "dogs," "swine," or to women as "bitches," "wenches, " or "chicks";

SOURCE

3. "Packaging" the news in a tasty wrapper is nothing new. Networks and TV stations have done it forever.

FOX NEWS 10 HOTTEST ANCHORS

4. Direct your attention left/right of screen < > Airbrush much?

AIRBRUSHING CELEBS

5. Why not a balanced male/female duo? They could offer 'chemistry' without the evocative, unctuous smarminess.

IMO, I must express my dissappointment with the overall exploitive "packaging" wrapping this. I somehow expected more of ATS.

It is a little too 'polished' and 'shiny'. I'm not saying I want my news delivered by some hideous presenters, but rather a little grittiness and less sizzle would go a long way towards credibility and equality. I sadly feel ATS is falling victim to their own success.

Hey, it's just my opinion and everyone is entitled to it.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean

Depressing and overly-serious productions have gained little traction outside of the core fan base of conspiracy-minded people. While we never have any desire to make light of our/your topics, there is a significant need to deliver this material differently.

Perhaps that is as can be expected. The core value framework of ATS content may well be fundamentally incompatible with attempts at broader market recasting. That is, conspiracy theories and 'esoteric knowledge' subjects are constructed on a framework that depends on a dichotomy between the mindset of the "core fan base" and the wider outside market. Attempts to introduce wider market appeal usually introduce elements that validate orthodoxy, rather than contradict it. This is often seen by the core as undermining the validity of the content.

Best of luck to Ashley and Asala; I'm looking forward to hearing the show!
So using orthodox techniques is useful in attracting orthodox fans? Be careful what you appeal to?
I am calling bad marketing attempts as the core of which is undermining the validity of our content.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

I'm rather surprised at some of the negative, and even vicious commentary from some members here.

This surprises you? People get sued, fired and publicly ridiculed for advertising women as "sex objects", or for giving them titles that are unflattering or sexually charged.

Don't be shocked...

Real men do not call women hotties, honey-cakes, sugar bottoms, hubba-mama, etc etc.

I am a bit taken back that when something as "basic" as this form of complaint is returned with the following-

Perhaps if we found some angry, slobbering, less-attractive middle-aged man who screams at the camera and carries a bullhorn in public, the nay-sayers would be happy... dunno.

Sure, I'd be SUPER happy with that as long as the advertisment for such a guy wasn't something like-

"Mr Hard pecks"

or

"Mr sizzle pants".

Do not insult me further in acting like these complaints are juvenile or overreacting.

Maybe a former pro-wrestler in black-leather surrounded by a group of actors from central casting... yeah, that's it.

Look...just so you know. I personally do not care HOW ANYONE LOOKS. And I surly take offense when people shove sexuality in my face to sell a product. In fact, I have seen many threads here on ATS that point towards that sort of advertising as "underhanded" and "cheap".

You saying a fat slob would do a worse job, furthers my point still.

Why would a fat slob do worse? Because he can't be labled cutie or hottie?

Really...I am far from being a typical 16 year old kid looking for ways to get aroused. And I am surly not dumb for noticing the blatant attempt to "turn men on" with this new show.

The point with this type of production is to take a risk to reach beyond the typical confines of our genre with something never-before seen from the likes of "conspiracy" people.

Well, good luck with that risk. I can tell you this much-

Much of your audience here is very against marketing tactics like these. They will be less amused to see you defending it as "exactly what it is"-

A ploy to garner an audience using women "you" find attractive.

ATS has been focused on those kinds of risks and efforts for several years, we're not about to stop.

Well...continue selling women to your audience this way and I am sure many people will stop reading ATS.

I'm sure those types will be replaced by a hoard of juveniles more accustomed to this sort of thing.

Most of the "public at large" is rather turned-off by the majority of typical productions from the world of "conspiracy theorists."

Why? Because we do not have a "hottie or cutie" speaking for us?

Or because we are dealing with serious issues and serious problems of a fringe nature?

Too angry. Too dark. Too depressing. Too much. A similar production might indeed be loved by our members, but what's the point in that? Preaching to the choir is futile.

So...the absolutely stupid idea of making a public farce out of these two intelligent "WOMEN" is actually a ploy to do great good in the long run?

I see...

Two of the sharpest people ever to post on ATS also happen to be attractive women who have the guts to sit down in front of a camera and help conceive of a video show that will draw attention to what happens on ATS...

I think they are both MORE then capable of delivering a damn good show. Sadly, I think people like "you" interfered with the advertising and threw in some sexist terms to help sell them as objects for sexual desire.

Correct me if I am wrong...

Did the two ladies come up with the "cutie/hottie" titles? The answer is a double edged sword.

If the answer is "yes" they demanded these titles...then that is just gross. What inteligent woman demands to be called cute or hot? Not a single one.

If the answer is "no"...and I am guessing it is...then someone threw those titles in there without "thinking clearly".

attention that is likely to come from people who may have (rightfully) thought conspiracy theorists were too dark and depressing for them, until now.

Ohhhhh....I see. People will see the hotties and come running to get the real info.

Yeah...look...if I was not part of this site, and then learned that the staff was planning to "hook me with sexuality"...I'd be pissed. I'd be saying-

THIS GUY THINKS I'M DUMB ENOUGH TO BE CAPTURED AND LURED BY BOOBS!?

Not saying that is your exact stance...but it surly is close, and to a "watcher" it may appear just as so.

Sure it's a risk.

So is "you coming to insult people who have a problem with this" and then asking if what we really want is a fat slob instead.

I'm sorry...such talk is enough to have a man get up and excuse himself. My girlfriend wasn't pleased either (not the point, but still in the ball park).

But so is anything that attempts to reach outward beyond familiar territory,

Look...in the future, perhaps when you have a problem like this, where MANY members are assuming you to be pulling a sexist tactic that offends a wide spectrum of people here, perhaps you may try addressing it instead of mocking it.

Please?

With that said...I love ATS. And I only speak here because I think a serious mistake was made and that this sort of marketing is everything "people should protest against".

Say what you will...like I said...thousands of men a year are sued for saying such things about women in unwanted ways. You wouldn't do it in an office, don't do it here.

And before you say "this isn't an office", consider for a minute that it actually "is a place of work, study and research" for many of your "more mature" members.

I also find insult in people trying to tell me who is, and who is not, attractive.

link   
I just realized that I better explain the Conspiracy Chicks thing to my wife before she finds me on ATS or I could get in trouble.

link   
I definitely WON'T be tuning in to this tripe. I come here for discussion and information, not to oggle some 'chicks'. There are websites that could handle that much better if that was what I was after.

The simple fact that they were chosen because of their genetics is an immediate disqualifier IMO. I'm sure that many of the brightest aren't 'hot chicks', but that is who get's put forward? Nothing personal ladies. Why is it that everyone eventually goes down the same old path in this world?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Ok this is my only gripe with this is:

This is another one of a long line of great ATS produced media that I will undoubtedly become hopelessly hooked on, get drawn into, and THEN have it taken away.

You guys have helped produce some really great forms of media for this site, in fact, I believe that they all have been outstanding.

And that is the problem. They have ALL been outstanding. They draw you in, they get you hooked, then, without warning, or notice, they are taken away. We the viewing public, aren't given an explanation, aren't given a reason, heck we aren't even given a dear John letter, they are just GONE!

It's hard to get too excited about an ATS production when you have a good feeling that it will just be taken away. ATS has produced a lot of really quality stuff, and I am not privy to the backroom discussions, so I am not all that informed on the whys. I do not doubt that Conspiracy Chicks will be another one of those high quality productions. I do worry that I will get drawn into the show, just to see it taken away for some unknown reason.

I have absolutely zero doubt in the quality of the broadcast, I have no doubt in the abilities of the hosts, AshleyD and Asala are two of the finest members to ever grace ATS, they both are truly superb intellects, both have shown time and again that they are quality minds that in singularly based on that quality alone deserve the utmost respect.

I do have an issue with the longevity of the project, and I would like for a definite number of episodes to expect. I believe that it's truly time for ATS to step up to the next level. You obviously have the talent, you obviously have the content, it's time to really bring this to a solid level.

On a lesser note, the title "Conspiracy Chicks" is in my personal opinion rather cheapens the intellects of these two brilliant members. Both in my opinion are brilliant individuals and the title "Chicks" is far beneath them both.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Is there any way to personalize my ATS experience, to put something else in the borders? Not that I have anything about Misses Asala or AshleyD, but it's like they're staring at me, judging me.

"You're going to eat that!?"

"Another beer? It's not even noon yet."

"Are you going to put some pants on any time today?"

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
My girlfriend was rather suprised to see two girls on the side of a site like this... perhaps it'll stoke more interest from her. Not that she isn't, just it's not her site of choice.

Just some feedback on the images used on either side at the moment. The photoshopping makes your average pinup tabloid look tame. Unless they're both ghosts?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by bigvanhorn

In a word, no. Dave is no longer around. From my casual understanding, the reasons were kept internally and my respect goes out for those keeping it that way.

Johnny Anonymous is by no means gone. We talked a very little bit last Saturday in the chat room while the ATS Radio Show #2 was on the air. Without many details, he liked my format idea for a second style Radio Show and recommended that I suggest it to Nef.

Johnny was there for the whole show, making commentary and eager to congratulate those that were taken as on air calls. I don't know Johnny well, but definitely appears to be a pretty top notch guy from what I have seen and read. He even takes critiques fairly well. On mention of the fitting of his suit for the first ATS News video, zazzafrazz said he was swimming in it and Johnny laughed and replied "I know...I know." Doesn't get more real and down to earth than that, people.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Wow Mr Mask.. Absolutely Friended.

Much respect as I bow to you.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I think ATS is on to something here and should run with it.

I'm thinking "The Skeptic Hunks" starring two good-looking skeptics (such as myself, of course) giving their own irreverent spin on many of the topics here.

And I'm not joking.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex
"You're going to eat that!?"

"Another beer? It's not even noon yet."

"Are you going to put some pants on any time today?"

You know that pretty much sums up my morning

Even typing this they're staring at me... judging me!

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
They have ALL been outstanding. They draw you in, they get you hooked, then, without warning, or notice, they are taken away.

Life happens.

We put forth a very significant (and costly) effort to turn ATS MIX into a syndicated radio show. Our success was very nearly realized as the show was represented to affiliate stations by the head of a major terrestrial radio network. But, radio began seeing cutbacks and not enough stations were willing to gamble on a new show. Those involved soldiered on, but eventually one needs to focus on feeding the family, and available time becomes limited or non-existent. Yes. It sucks.

On a lesser note, the title "Conspiracy Chicks" is in my personal opinion rather cheapens the intellects of these two brilliant members. Both in my opinion are brilliant individuals and the title "Chicks" is far beneath them both.

No one forced the name on them. Everything you see in the promotional teaser, as well as everything you are about to see is a collaborative effort where nothing will ever go out that isn't 100% approved by both Ashley and Julie.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Yayyyy girl power!
Best of times in all your endeavers. I am really happy to hear there will be some more ats media/audio programs.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

Yeah...

They were chosen for the genetics that granted them both great intelligence. The looks? Secondary, except on a visual medium...which this, *gasp*, is...

Hate to break it to y'all... 'tis a visual medium. The brains come, and will continue to, through rather plainly.

You go, girls.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

No one forced the name on them. Everything you see in the promotional teaser, as well as everything you are about to see is a collaborative effort where nothing will ever go out that isn't 100% approved by both Ashley and Julie.

That comes as a shock to me. I cannot believe they agreed to those titles... seems pitiful actually.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join