It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico Drug Cartels Empty Border Towns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
And like we don't have enough things to worry about, we now have a possible insurrection looming on our southern border...

Mexico Drug Cartels Empty Border Towns
www.cbsnews.com...

(AP) The 14-year-old boy tied a few mattresses and a bedstead to the family pickup truck. He went back into his single-story yellow house for the cat, and chained up the gate. Then he drove off with his family, which was abandoning home, jobs, school and country.

All because the drug smugglers told them to.

Hundreds of families are fleeing the cotton-farming towns of the Juarez Valley, a stretch of border 50 miles east of Ciudad Juarez. In a new strategy, Mexican drug cartels seeking to minimize interference with their operations are using terror to empty the entire area.

They have burned down homes in Esperanza ("Hope") and torched a church on Good Friday in El Porvenir ("The Future"). Wherever they strike, they leave notes ordering residents to leave.

"They were typewritten, and they said, 'You have just a few hours to get out,"' Christian, the 14-year-old, said as he set off for a new life in Texas. Like others cited in this story, he would give only his first name for fear of reprisal. Some were so afraid they wouldn't even give that.

In El Porvenir, which normally has about 3,000 residents, only a couple hundred appear to remain. During Easter Week, when schools were closed and the plaza would normally bustle, the only things moving in the center of town were a few stray dogs.

The exodus appears to be the work of the Sinaloa cartel, Mexico's most powerful drug organization. The Associated Press, citing U.S. intelligence, reported last week that the group has seized control of smuggling corridors through the region after a bloody, two-year battle with the Juarez cartel.

Mexican Cartels Joining Forces To Battle Other Gangs
www.kfoxtv.com...

EL PASO, Texas -- Mexican federal police said the Gulf and La Familia Cartels are joining forces. Intelligence reports said the former bitter rivals are working together to fight the Zetas gang. Banners in the area warn people to stay in their homes, as the violence continues to escalate. Military leaders said armed men are also ambushing military patrols trying to get soldiers out of the way of the turf war.

[edit on 4/16/2010 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I have never in my life seen a government/military/police so corrupt and inept as Mexico's. How damn hard can it be to remedy this problem, seriously. Send in some heavy guns and a show of force. If this was the US, this would have ended faster than it started.

I almost hope this spills over the border so our military can go in and clean house.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Kind of heard about this from a friend...
He told me some some 300 emergency visa's were issued to Mexicans fleeing these little towns. (He's a paramedic on a life flight makes the run between here and El Paso)

Ya know when you hear things third hand like that you don't want to spread it around if your not 100% but now with your story it all makes sense

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
We should have invaded and taken over Mexico a long time ago.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
I have never in my life seen a government/military/police so corrupt and inept as Mexico's. How damn hard can it be to remedy this problem, seriously. Send in some heavy guns and a show of force. If this was the US, this would have ended faster than it started.

I almost hope this spills over the border so our military can go in and clean house.

Aggie, I can't recall a post of yours I disagreed with. I disagree with this one.

The 'War on Drugs' is taking it's toll on the US and Mexico. Guns aren't the answer...bullets are flying and bodies are piling up. Drug Cartels are just the dirty edge of supply and demand. It's market forces and resistant to legislation and politics...

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I hear a rumor about the Mexican drug war heating up a while back, and it made a lot of predictions. What I heard is that we had black ops teams from the U.S. stirring things up even more down there, and that the objective was to send millions of Mexican refugees over the border. The refugees would be resettled into rural "red state" areas and sworn in as citizens before the next presidential election.

That's what I heard over at Rumor Mill News from one of Rayelan's sources. Actually, I think over time, she heard variations of this plan from more than one of them.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Aggie, I can't recall a post of yours I disagreed with. I disagree with this one.

The 'War on Drugs' is taking it's toll on the US and Mexico. Guns aren't the answer...bullets are flying and bodies are piling up. Drug Cartels are just the dirty edge of supply and demand. It's market forces and resistant to legislation and politics...

A lot of my feeling on this come out of frustration on the issue. I'm simply at a loss as what to do that will legitimately work. lawlessness is abound and it doesn't seem that the Mexican government gives a damn. If they do care, they have a poor way of showing it. Seriously, how many henchmen can these cartels truly have? a few hundred? A few thousand? How hard can it truly be to stop this? How does it get resolved sans the violence of an all out war?

Honestly, I'm for decriminalization; thus, taking the nefarious element out of the whole scenario. However, that will not happen. And because it won't happen, then the cartels are going to continue this violence.

I just feel that, like it or not, sometimes violence needs to be met with violence...in a government sanctioned manner. It needs to be swift and have finality. Although, I admit that another cartel will crop up just as fast as this one would be taken out.

I'm a proponent of peace, so my feeling on this leaves me conflicted. But innocents are dieing and there is no end in sight.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I live in the UK so probably dont understand some of the cultural things in this area of the US. But i cant understand why you havent either sealed your borders or at least sent troops to the border.

There is obviously a real risk of this spilling over into the USA which must be really scary for resident in the border states?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by blackrabbit1

Yes, I think it is scary for people in border states. The people I know in those areas would love to have a sealed-off border and can not understand why we have so much security in other ways, and almost open borders there. But where I live, people who say that out loud are often called racist. We have a weird culture in the States.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
This does not bode well. The United States has a strong vested interst in quelling the drug cartels and the violence that is along the border. The country can not handle an influx of thousands of refugees of people escaping from the violence, and then if that happens there is not telling who all will be coming across the boarder as well.
I also believe that as they clear these towns out for their bases of operations, and I have a feeling that it will not be too long before they start to strike at cities that are on the US side of the boarder or they begin to move to where they can get into the US.
If I was in charge of the cartels down there this is what I would do.
1) Clear out the cities along the boarders, this way it would cause more problems for both the US and the Mexican governments.
2) Set up in those areas, to include setting up of traps for those who are do not know about such.
3) Strike in both directions to create and hold onto territory going in both directions. You would collect resources and man power along the way.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Seriously, how many henchmen can these cartels truly have?

I read somewhere 11,000+ cartels members had been detained since the end of 2006 when the drug war started... either Mexico has a catch and release policy or there a lot more cartel members than we think

[edit on 16-4-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
The N W O wants the fight to spill over into Amerika. They stand to profit heavily from the Mexican instability, and are counting on the refugee vote. All of this, and then dominating Mexico. Central and South America will then follow!
It is all too convenient.

new topics

top topics

join