It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Death: the Sniper Who Killed 700 Soviets in 100 Days

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

Well, Sweden did let the german troops pass through the country during the invasion of Norway.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
reply to post by boondock-saint

Enemy at the Gates was actually based on a book. I have it, somewhere. Last time I tried to read it, I found it a bit dry starting out and never got into it.

Simo Häyhä is probably one of my greatest inspirations in life. NOT because he killed a bunch of people, but because he proves how much of a difference a SINGLE person taking a stand against an enemy force can actually make. 1,000 men like that could win an entire war on their own.

War of the Rats!
Great book.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by wrathchild
somebody needs to make a movie about this guy.

nice post.

I agree
Hollywood already did one about Vicilli Zeitseff (spelling)
based around the siege of Stalingrad: Russia vs German.
2 opposing snipers go head to head in a war zone.
The name of that movie was called "Enemy at the Gates".
A great movie. I bought the DVD

As far as this story goes, it was a great article: S&F

If you like this kind of story of war in the snow,
I'd suggest you view "Ski Troop Attack" by Roger Gorman
in 1960. It's a very good B&W Classic film.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

Originally posted by spacebot
Very informative thread!
I never knew this stuff!

I did a search on Google for WWII and Finland and it find only for a Soviet invasion of Finland. Nazis never invaded them?

[edit on 15-4-2010 by spacebot]

No, germans were our allies and we'd be speaking russian if it weren't for them. However when the cease fire was signed between Soviet Union and Finland one of the rules was that all german troops have to be out of Finland by a deadline which they didn't manage. Therefore our forces had to fight them out. Which results in an interesting trivia piece: Finland was in war with Soviet Union, Britain, US and Germany and we're still here!

Im from Finland and please, dont say we would be speaking russian if we would have lost.

Truth is that Stalin wanted to kill all finnish people and we would not even exist. Stalin killed tens of millions of people and Finlands population at the start of the war was only 3.7 million. 3.7 million deaths would have been a breakfast for Stalin.

My grandfather was in the frontlines in the winter war and a year later when the continuation war started, he flew a curtiss fighter.

Russians tried to kill all finnish people and conquer our land. I have no pity for any russian soldier who died. My grandfather was almost 1400 days in war and if he got one communist every tenth day, it means 140 dead communists less and im proud of him fighting so we the finnish people could exist. The reason Finland was with the Nazis was because Hitler saw how good we were at fighting the communists so he decided to give help to us. Without that help it would have been much harder for us to win. Germany even sent a squadron of airplanes with pilots and all and helped us through many battles.

Today, the european union is the new soviet union with all its CO2 taxes they are bringing upon us. Finland should remove itself asap from the EU.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by kankkura]

[edit on 16-4-2010 by kankkura]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Gromle

You have GOT to be kidding me.

Sweden is EAST of Norway. Germany is SOUTH of Norway. Denmark is the mainland across Norway.

The Nazis invaded Denmark, gave them autonomous rule but under occupation (they agreed), whereas Norway would have none of it and put all military effort in resisting.

From Danmark they invaded Norway. They did NOT go through Sweden!!

Sweden also had Germans in their prisons. You seem to think Sweden were Nazis or something, and you also need to check a map...

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Also this may help: German landing sites
They invaded by sea landings as their navy annihilated our like one modified freighter.

But, were off topic its important to get history correct.

A lot of Simo Hayhas alleged kills were unconfirmed and a lot of the number is by his Kuopi or w/e its called.

And as much of a Finnish hero he is the Russian tactic is overwhelm by force as you can see in movies too they had so many troops they couldnt even arm them all. They said take the rifle of your fallen comrade. They would have to make their own vodka bombs and thats it. With so many people it would be hard not to kill someone...

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ridhya
Also this may help: German landing sites
They invaded by sea landings as their navy annihilated our like one modified freighter.

But, were off topic its important to get history correct.

A lot of Simo Hayhas alleged kills were unconfirmed and a lot of the number is by his Kuopi or w/e its called.

And as much of a Finnish hero he is the Russian tactic is overwhelm by force as you can see in movies too they had so many troops they couldnt even arm them all. They said take the rifle of your fallen comrade. They would have to make their own vodka bombs and thats it. With so many people it would be hard not to kill someone...

so you base your comments and opinions about Russian -Finnish war about movies... ok... aha , i remember seeing a movie once which describes Russian soldiers like that but that was telling about eastern front...
and most of the movies have very little to do with things that really happened,i suggest you familiarize your self with this war by some different means than movies...

On Finnish front Russians were better quipped than us Finns and yes had a lot more manpower more tanks and more airplanes and yes had a lot of stupid leaders who got their men killed for nothing ,but mostly we survived the war because of resilience and bravery of those men who fought and died there, my grandfather being one of them and what i heard from him
it was actually quite hard killing them ,both physically and mentally

i actually believe Häyhä might very well have killed that many,look up a guy named Viljam Pylkäs for example he stopped russian attack with sub machine gun with other guy loading the clips,83 confirmed kills during one day only.

Hell Finnish airforce had 60-1 kill ratio with our obsolete Brewster Fighters against better and newer Soviet,British and American built planes

its the man not the machine as they say ... sorry for my grammar
Cheers

[edit on 16-4-2010 by zoomer72]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by Foppezao
great post, amazing story!.. without a scoped rifle, this guys must 've had eagle vision, i wonder what the distance was..A true master in stealth...

As somebody posted here, the kills were mostly at 200-350 yard range. It's not an earth-shattering case of marksmanship, although his bravery and ability to withstand the elements are super impressive!

I rarely get to practice with a rifle (once every few years, really), but recently I was able to hit the target from a 100 yards with plain iron sites and no problem (and no training) at all. I recall being able to hit a silhouette target from 200m with an AK-47 when I was young.

That Finn is really something, I quite agree1!

Try the Marine Qualification 500 yard range (no Scope)

STAGE FIVE:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by kankkura

Yeah, that's all true. We probably wouldn't be around. Stalin wanted Finland because of it's tactical importance. I don't think he had some kind of wish to kill all fins. We would all speak russian vs. we wouldn't even be there is pretty much the same point in my opinion. Hitler helped us because if Stalin had gotten Finland he would've used it's tactical position to launch attacks into germany. Maybe even an invasion.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Do you know whaat snipers detest? Dogs. Many south american cartel security folks use dogs to sniff these guys out. Once they give away their position they are screwed. Apparently the Soviets weren't using dogs. 700 kills in a sitting is nuts. It isn't possible to kill that many men without giving away your position. I tend to think there were other snipers covering his rear and flanks. But amazing none the less. But the guys defending his position ought to get a lot of the credit.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrJay1975
Do you know whaat snipers detest? Dogs. Many south american cartel security folks use dogs to sniff these guys out. Once they give away their position they are screwed. Apparently the Soviets weren't using dogs. 700 kills in a sitting is nuts. It isn't possible to kill that many men without giving away your position. I tend to think there were other snipers covering his rear and flanks. But amazing none the less. But the guys defending his position ought to get a lot of the credit.

ermmh i think he switched positions during those 100 days

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Just my opinion:

While this man's skill was impressive, I find nothing honorable in killing someone who has no clue they are being targeted. I find it cowardly to be honest.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Actually the Norwegians put up a pretty good fight. The coastal batteries outside Oslo sank several German ships, and the Royal Guard decimated the German paratroopers sent to capture the King and the Royal Family (who were then able to escape to the UK along with a significant portion of the Norwegian military).

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Orygun

Sisu must be the Finnish word for Epic Badass Mofo with balls of steel.

Kinda like home boy in die hard. Yipie....

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I've read about this guy somewhere before. It's a great story, thank you for bringing it up.

Definite star and flag.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by zoomer72

Maybe you didnt even read it... I have studied WWII very extensively. I was using movie as an illustration I specifically said 'even in movies they show...'

Yes, the Russians WERE poorly equipped (as in they had not enough) and YES I damn well know the Finns took every weapon they could off the Russians

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roid_Rage27
Just my opinion:

While this man's skill was impressive, I find nothing honorable in killing someone who has no clue they are being targeted. I find it cowardly to be honest.

Honor doesn't have eff all to do with it when a hostile force is trying to invade your country and kill your family. War isn't about honor. It's about offense and defense, period.

Save the honor crap for the Olympic games.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Remember he also killed 200 people with submachine guns, Rambo style. I don't know how accurate the claims are in the video above, but I thinks it's quite cool. That video tells he was in front line killing people *close range* and his position got run over and he got shot.

No time to find facts, I trust youtube.. hehehe.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by TheLaughingGod
I'm dismayed by my countries unwillingness to go to war against Russia, though we did send material and volunteers at least(we had some 130-300 nazi volunteers too even though it was prohibited, mostly Waffen SS).

Looks like you are proud of your country's association and comradery with the Nazis and the SS in particular! You guys also supplied Nazis with iron, and it cost the Allies many, many lives. How about you shed some tears on that front, dude.

Something to be proud of, really

Yes you are right, I am VERY, VERY glad that the nazis burned down my mothers *cussword* country so my grandparents had to move..

Yeah, barf is what I do when people accuse me of being a nazi sympathizer.. the only reason I mentioned it anyway was as to NOT look like I'm whitewashing history.. luckily Ridhya already schooled you.

Screw your accusations!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

wow lol he was a real baddass
glad i never ended up in this guys scope

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join