It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq Foils 9/11 Style Attack on Shiite Shrine, Arabiya Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Surprised I couldn't find this posted yet. Although it seems there might not be a lot on it yet. I just read this here:www.bloomberg.com...

April 14 (Bloomberg) -- Iraqi security forces foiled an attempt by al-Qaeda to hijack an airplane and fly it into a Shiite Muslim shrine in southern Iraq, al-Arabiya reported, citing an unidentified counter-terrorism official.

Members of the terrorist network were planning to hijack the plane after it took off from Najaf airport and fly it into the dome of the Imam Ali Mosque in an attack inspired by the Sept. 11, 2001 assault on the U.S., according to the report. The shrine, the burial site of the Prophet Mohammed’s cousin, is one of the holiest sites for Shiites.

It doesn't actually say when this happened. But it does say that this particular airport was closed on April 7, 2010 on an order from the Transportation Ministry.

Supposedly there will be more released about this later on today.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

[edit on 14-4-2010 by okbmd]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
LMAO this is a hoot!

A primitive country like Iraq - one that can barely keep power on or clean water flowing can intercept and prevent these phantom Al-MuslumoSoundingName organization from flying planes into a small building but we, the US, allow our multi-billion dollar defense grid to be compromised by this same "outfit'

Riiiiight

Well if they truly did thwart this attack - good for them.

I guess they don't need us there afterall! MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. Welcome home boys!

er...right

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

A primitive country like Iraq

Iraq's infrastructure is in such a state because of the despotic dictators they've endured, and the several wars waged against them by their neighbour, and more recently the US.

None if which can entirely ensure that the iraqi's could not prevent a hijack plot inside their fairly unstable country, which has endured ethnic conflicts for decades.

The US intelligence services pre-2001 were overly confident or just simply asleep and did not take plane hijackings seriously enough.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I wonder if they were able to foil it because they knew that 9/11 was an inside job in the US and so recognized the signs.

It is interesting that this was targetting the Shiite, minority sect of Islam? The shiite I think believed Mohammed should leave his power with his family, unlike the Sunni which believed the Caliphs should receive it .

en.wikipedia.org...

I thought the minority sect was the "crazy" sect?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
the shia are the good ones, the sunnis are the good ones

but the wahabis are the bad ones who gave themselves the right to declare anyone, man women or child as an infidel, and once declared infidel they believe that gives them the right to kill... they are the extemist, yet most american people dont see that

america supports wahabism behind the curtains, because thats where the USA oil comes from...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
So, do you think the US wants this news leaked? Won't it make the US look bad that a third world country does a better job of security than them? Or will they say "democracy" in Iraq works yet again?

I'm wondering what exactly made this a 9/11 style attack. Joe Stack wasn't called a "911 style attack" in fact the media tried to make it seem like an accident until they found that he set his house on fire (accident too!? LOL). Either way, I wonder if someone just "said" this was 9/11 inspired or they really did stop Muslims from doing it. OR, better yet, I wonder if they stopped a false flag 9/11 from occurring. I don't think we'll ever learn that one.

oh, and one more thing, why are there so few replies to this?

[edit on 14-4-2010 by filosophia]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
according to NPR, the attack was "aimed at undermining the country's stability while U.S. troops prepare to go home" (www.npr.org...).

Wouldn't they be celebrating the US troops going home? It's like they don't want them to leave, which doesn't make sense. However, if this is a false flag in order to provoke the military to stay longer, this would make sense, however, the extreme amount of diabolical evil behind it makes it impossible to the majority of people.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Thanks for posting this additional story. I have looked all afternoon for more, but hadn't found anything yet.

The link you posted shows it just came out.

It looks to me like this group wanted to destabilize the existing "puppet" government established by the U.S. by launching the same type of attack that was supposedly launched against us.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Yahoo had a news story on it but now it suddenly disappeared. I think this is exciting news, because no matter how you look at it it is good news. 1. al qaeda was stopped, this should make everyone happy, or 2. it was a staged attack to prevent the military from leaving, which Iraq also stopped. I'm sure someone will get fired if that is the case, but exciting nonetheless, I'm just surprised ATS isn't talking more about it. I guess there are just slim facts surrounding the story, but since NPR is basically a government mouthpiece, I'm surprised they already had an analysis on it. Makes me wonder if this wasn't set up to be stopped, to make the Iraqi forces look good. As a result, it makes the US look bad since Iraq can stop a 911 but not US. Oh well, that's what happens with a complex web of manipulation.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
For those of you who think this is unlikely, may I remind you that this type of attack has already happened? You may not remember the 2006 and 2007 bombings of the Shiite Al-Askari Mosque, which totally destroyed this holy shrine. Here's a refresher:

en.wikipedia.org...

I sometimes play with the idea of what the Middle East would look like without the existence of Israel, and the intervention of various super powers in their internal affairs.

Unfortunately, I suspect this is more or less what we would be looking at, war-business as usual, blowing up each other's holy shrines. How could it be any different, with such a high concentration of petty dictatorships and despotic monarchies?

Perhaps the Middle East should actually thank Israel and the U.S for being there. Now at least they can agree on one thing, that they hate the Jews and the Crusaders more than they hate each other.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Here we go again, just in:

edition.cnn.com...

Baghdad, Iraq (CNN) -- A wave of bombings targeting Shiites, a market in Baghdad and a neighborhood in Anbar province killed at least 61 people and wounded more than 100 others Friday, police said.

It's true that slamming a jumbo jet into someone's holy shrine is a feat, but if you can't pull it off you can always bomb them to death when they go to the market.

top topics

join