It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcanic Ash from Eyjafjallajökull(Iceland) causes air traffic groundings in Norway.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Ash from Eyjafjallajökull causes air traffic grounding in Norway.

www.aftenposten.no

There is no english versions as I can find right now , so I post link and translate.

''Spres raskt
Meteorologisk institutt overvåker kontinuerlig forholdene i luftrommet.

- Vanligvis gjelder det faren for ising og turbulens. Nå er vi ekstra på vakt for vulkansk aske og har vært i kontakt med flygeledersentralen på Røyken, Gardermoen og med Forsvaret, sier statsmeteorolog Rita Moi ved Meteorologisk institutt til NTB.''
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14/4/2010 by ChemBreather]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Okey, Google Translator...

Ash from volcanic eruptions over Norway
Ash from volcanic eruptions in Iceland leads to the skies in northern Norway are closed. All of Norway and parts of the United Kingdom, Denmark and the Benelux countries can be affected tomorrow.

Ill post more as I find it in English.

www.aftenposten.no
(visit the link for the full news article)

This picture show the path of the Ash coming into Norway.( red Lines )

I posted this Icland Second Volcano Eruption early this morning, maybe not interesting. Hundreds evacuated as second volcona erupts

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
So It's a Volcanic eruption?

Perhaps you could just tell us roughly what happened.... your OP doesn't make a lot of sense.

Thanks for the info though

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
So It's a Volcanic eruption?

Perhaps you could just tell us roughly what happened.... your OP doesn't make a lot of sense.

Thanks for the info though

Well, the ash from the Iceland volcano is blowing in over Norway causing Air traffic to be grounded in all of northern Norway.

I cant find any English articles on it yet, and I have no clue how Google translator works..

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Seems that Norway can be covered in volcanic ash isnt intresting ?
They say Thursday and also some sourses say that the volcanic ash may be over Norway this night, maybe tomorrow morning..

I for one hope the ash blows another way as I live in Norway..

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I'd suggest getting the masks out, closing all doors/windows and limiting your activities outside to a minimum. No joke, Volcanic Ash WILL kill you even if your hundreds of miles from the Volcanic Eruption, as the Ash attacks the Lungs and causes your body to react. Unfortunately the fluid on the lungs also ends in you suffocating.
Not to mention the fact Volcanic Ash is extremely corrosive, heavy when accumulation builds up, and causes disruption to transport by destroying component parts.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
good job its missed the UK or am i wrong, is this what i am smelling burning outside now ?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Here's another map of where they think the ash cloud is heading............

www.ruv.is...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

I have never smelled volcanic ash so I cant tell you how it smells..
What I see on Norwegian Media, is that they say that Air Traffic may be closed all over Norway tomorrow if the ash blows here.

I still cant find any English articles on this...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Its due over the majority of the Northern UK tomorrow afternoon (its only the same distance from Cornwall-Lands End in terms of Atlantic Crossing), so its not here just yet, but by 6am it'll be coming into the East Coast aswell as already enveloping Scotland.

The next V.A.A graphic wont be out until 0100BST, so the map could be changed to represent changing weather patterns and the Volcanoes Behaviour.

link   

Originally posted by freemindmine
Here's another map of where they think the ash cloud is heading............

www.ruv.is...

Thank you, I like option 1,2 and 3 as those blow the ash away from Oslo.
Sounds selfish I know, but I really do not want that ash over my head.

Wasnt it an Icelandic volcano that plumeted europe into years with out crops some hundred years ago or so ?

link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

oh right thanks anyway. there wont be enough to choke people or will there ?
i smell a burning smell, i'd guess ash would smell like burnt but seems abit to far fetched too me, for it to hit the middile of England already.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

Yep it's nasty stuff, I read once that it essentially turns to concrete or cement when it comes into contact with mucus linings such as your lungs, it is particulate rock!!! Many times heaver than an equivalent volume of snow, I think it also conducts electricity (not sure) so it will short out electrical stuff. It of course abrasive so anything mechanical could have problems.

Closing the airspace is a good idea, planes and volcanic ash don't mix... I don't think they can even detect it until they fly into it.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

If it carries on like this then it might covers parts of the UK.. from what I understand possibly by tomorrow some effect might be felt and if it continues... bang goes the hot summer we've been promised..

To be honest I think there is a major conspiracy to prevent me having a great Summer

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
There's a nice thread on going about it in the fragile earth section

www.abovetopsecret.com...

link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

aww man thats screwed my plans up off sun and beer

Looks like i'll have to have beer and no sun, ahhhh a proper English day

any idea on the thickness will you be able to see a layer like snow ?

link   

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

I really hope it blows away and you all keep safe
also my selfish reason is that my partner is off to Norway for work next week, and then we're off to Denmark.. so flying Aberdeen to Norway right now doesn't seem that appealing if this carries on..

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
yep Now_Then, its not simple household-dust or concentrated water particles. As you mentioned its more or less small particles of rock which your body reacts against, though not in a advantaged way.

I'm surprised there's so little mention of disruption because of this in the UK. Tomorrow afternoon aircraft will effectively be flying into a Ash-Cloud and I can't see how the Airport authorities (especially the pilots) will be willing for this to happen, considering the obvious risks.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
This could get worse and not just for the people of Iceland.............

Like earthquakes, predicting the timing of volcanic eruptions is an imprecise science. An eruption at the Katla volcano could be disastrous, however — both for Iceland and other nations. Iceland's Laki volcano erupted in 1783, freeing gases that turned into smog. The smog floated across the Jet Stream, changing weather patterns. Many died from gas poisoning in the British Isles. Crop production fell in western Europe. Famine spread. Some even linked the eruption, which helped fuel famine, to the French Revolution. Painters in the 18th century illustrated fiery sunsets in their works. The winter of 1784 was also one of the longest and coldest on record in North America. New England reported a record stretch of below-zero temperatures and New Jersey reported record snow accumulation. The Mississippi River also reportedly froze in New Orleans.

"From records, we know that every time Eyjafjallajokull erupts, Katla has also erupted."

[edit on 14/4/10 by freemindmine]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join