It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcanic Ash from Eyjafjallajökull(Iceland) causes air traffic groundings in Norway.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

From what I understand very fine layers... probably like a normal day out in London.. gee the cr*p that comes off your skin after a day in London *shivers down spine*... and even more unhealthy.. Not sure I like the sound of that stuff..

Anyway I just finished a new deck area and summer house in the Garden (was an old Brick shed)
and hoped to have lots of BBQs this Summer... now, if this happens, it'll be just the beers, but hey... am always prepared for than

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Yes and i'll consider that a iinvitation

sounds like you'll throw a mean BBQ. its the proper way of cooking meat

also thanks for the image of it snowing ash in my head. if the second one triggers the katla would that be worse i dont know much aobut that volcanoe

[edit on 14-4-2010 by thecrow001]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

Here it is in English.....

Ash from volcanic eruptions over Norway
Ash from volcanic eruptions in Iceland leads to the skies in northern Norway are closed. All of Norway and parts of the United Kingdom, Denmark and the Benelux countries can be affected tomorrow.OFNTB Kristoffer Ronneberg Kristjan Molstad
Read also:

DNT management and ambassador trapped in Iceland
800 evacuated in Iceland
- Air space is closed from Helgeland and north. Now we are working feverishly to clear the area, "said Jens Petter Duestad the Safety of Air Navigation Division of Avinor to Aftenposten.no.

He says that it is difficult to estimate how many airplanes are stopped, turned around or taken down, but suggests a figure of around 30

- This is a great work, and there are very many who are affected, "he said.

Air traffic throughout Norway can become paralyzed Thursday morning when ash from volcanic eruption in Iceland blows across the land.

- We review during the night traffic to be halted throughout Norway. Similar assessments are made in Britain, Denmark and the Benelux countries, "said Duestad.

Spread rapidly
Meteorological Department continuously monitors conditions in the airspace.

- In general terms the danger of icing and turbulence. Now we are extra alert for volcanic ash and has been in contact with air traffic control center in the smoke, airport and military, "said state meteorologist Rita Moi at the Meteorological Department said.

The ash from the crater is registered up in 11 km altitude, and it makes the ash and smoke spread rapidly over large areas.

- Can threaten air travel
The Icelandic state channel Broadcasting Service reported that the local air traffic north and south of Iceland has been stopped due to volcanic eruption, and that the no-fly zone could be extended east to Norway and Russia if the ashes spread.

No-fly comes under 30,000 feet (about 9100 meters). Wednesday night set for air traffic managers in the meeting in Bodø.

- We consider forecasts from meteorologists in London in relation to the development of these ash clouds. And fly ash is a bad combination, "said Chief of the control center in Bodo, Raymond Ingebrigsen to NRK.

Hundreds evacuated
The new eruption of Eyjafjallajökull glacier in Iceland is the second in the area during a month. All roads into the area around 120 km east of the capital Reykjavik is closed after the melting of the ice creates emergency flood hazard.

- Between 700 and 800 people have been evacuated from their homes, "said police spokesman Baldur Sigurdsson told AFP.

Among those who waited to be evacuated Wednesday evening, the Secretary-General, Kristin Krohn Devold of The Norwegian Trekking Association (DNT). Together with a group of ten from the DNT and the Norwegian ambassador in Iceland, Margit A. Tveiten, found herself Wednesday at one of the cabins of the Icelandic Tourist Board.

- I'm just a kilometer from the eruption site and see the white smoke rise up like a pressure cooker. In between are the yellow sulfur clouds followed by black mist and hail showers, "said Krohn Devold NTB early Wednesday evening.

She emphasizes that they are not in danger.

- We are isolated, but the cabin is safe, "she says.

Earthquake
Krohn Devold said she noticed two small earthquakes just before she went to bed Tuesday night, and that it was probably the start of the new outbreak.

- There have been several earthquakes in the area, "said Baldur Sigurdsson of the Icelandic police.

The water level in several rivers in the area have risen by between 1 and 2 meters. The increase is strongest and goes fastest in the largest of these rivers, Markarfljót, said the website Iceland Review on Wednesday.

People who have had to leave their homes, are taken to centers run by the Red Cross. No people are injured.

Only last month 600 people were evacuated for a short period because of an outbreak in Fimmvorduhals volcano, located near Eyjafjallajökull. This outbreak, which was the first in Fimmvorduhals since 1823, is now over.

Iceland is a geologically restless area of the so-called Mid-Atlantic Ridge, an underwater mountain range with many volcanoes. Eyjafjallajökull volcano in Iceland's fifth largest and has had five recorded eruptions since the country was populated in the 800's.

(AP / Aftenposten.no)
Read more of Foreign Affairs from Aftenposten here

Del MorePrintTell a friend

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
British airspace closed from noon

news.bbc.co.uk...

just as well i am not planning any trip today

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
great input guys, thanks.

Today : ALL air traffic Closed from 10 AM gmt+1..
Some flights goes to southern and eastern contries, but I dont think that will hold up.

What I see as an potentil threat/problem, is that they also have closed down traffic to and from oil rigs, and that could hurt the Oil industry if this lasts...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Sky news just said that all air traffic in the UK has been stopped from 12 00 midday(in 15 mins) until 6am tomorrow.

The reported that in some northen most areas of Scotland people can smell sulphur.

Our cars have got a thin layer of greyish dust on them in North wales(although that could have come from our local dioxin spewing waste incinerator,like has happened before...

Important to remember that this has happened in the past and was very serious,resulting in many deaths in UK and Europe.

Iceland's Laki volcano erupted in 1783, freeing gases that turned into smog. The smog floated across the Jet Stream, changing weather patterns. Many died from gas poisoning in the British Isles. Crop production fell in western Europe. Famine spread. Some even linked the eruption, which helped fuel famine, to the French Revolution. Painters in the 18th century illustrated fiery sunsets in their works.
The winter of 1784 was also one of the longest and coldest on record in North America. New England reported a record stretch of below-zero temperatures and New Jersey reported record snow accumulation. The Mississippi River also reportedly froze in New Orleans.

news.yahoo.com...

Lets hope this event is not on a similar scale.
Although it could exasperate respiratory problems such as asthma.

Check your cars for dust over the next few days...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Sky news just said that all air traffic in the UK has been stopped from 12 00 midday(in 15 mins) until 6am tomorrow..

Someone needs to tell Southend Airport then because there is a constant hum of planes flying aerobatics above our house in prep for the Southend Airshow next month.... hmmm I am presuming it's the normal prep for that and nothing else... lots of loop de loops and fly-by going on...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by yzzyUK

That's all low level stuff. The ash won't affect them as it's mainly confined to high altitude layers.

Just been outside the office for a smoke and it's soooo quiet. Usually we have a lot of the Heathrow traffic turning in on finals overhead or outbound (depending on wind direction), but today nothing.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

ChemBreather.....

Thanks for starting this interesting thread.

I was supposed to fly New York - London about an hour ago.

I was turned back at the airport.....all flights from the USA to London have been cancelled for at least 12 hours, maybe more.

It's a mess!

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
reply to post by yzzyUK

That's all low level stuff. The ash won't affect them as it's mainly confined to high altitude layers.

Ahh cool ok... Have to say I haven't seen the usual planes taking off. Not that I'm glued to the window.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by thecrow001
good job its missed the UK or am i wrong, is this what i am smelling burning outside now ?

Nope, it's grounded planes in the UK too, I heard on the radio on my way into work this morning.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Am I missing something here?

From the pictures of the eruption, this is not near big enough (the ash cloud) to cause these major flight disruptions. I mean, they've evacuated 800 people, but has stopped air traffic for 5, maybe 6 countries?

Can't reroute flights? What about the flights headed away from the cloud? If this is bad enough to cause engine shutdowns, I'd stay indoors until this clears.

I just wonder, are they aiding the cloud in some way, or exercising their authority to control the airspace, or both?

Something stinks. Sulpher? Maybe Satan has been released.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by 911stinks]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by yzzyUK

reply to post by yzzyUK

Ahh cool ok... Have to say I haven't seen the usual planes taking off. Not that I'm glued to the window.

Just to add what I have heard on the News here, they sayd that the ash actually goes from sea level and up to 55000 feet, atleast that is what Storm Weather Chick said..

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by nik1halo

Originally posted by thecrow001
good job its missed the UK or am i wrong, is this what i am smelling burning outside now ?

Nope, it's grounded planes in the UK too, I heard on the radio on my way into work this morning.

Hi,yes it has been on the UK news all day,it has grounded flights for the whole of the uk and they are saying not to worry but as you point out if its bad enough to bring down air traffick then im sure going to tape my windows,i aint breathing in sulphuric acid on the say so of our GOV saying its all ok...some links for the UK...

www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/7593716/Volcano-ash-chaos-previous-eruption-lasted-more-than-a-year.html

Link to this video

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
All flights in the UK are now cancelled until at least 0600 Fri 16 April.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Thank god a day off from chemtrails. I haven't seen one today.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather

Originally posted by yzzyUK

reply to post by yzzyUK

Just to add what I have heard on the News here, they sayd that the ash actually goes from sea level and up to 55000 feet, atleast that is what Storm Weather Chick said..

So we are all supposed to listern to the werather man? lol at the GOV and the sheep that bleet for them...i know what im doing if i see any dark patches above me,im going to seal my windows and put on my gas mask,only joking but if they think im taking the word of the met office they canbite me,they never get the forcast right so if it goes into the jet stream and falls with rain we a are in for some nasty acidic rainfall i bet....sulphuric acid.
The most notable previous example of Icelandic volcanic activity causing problems for Britain was in 1783, when an eruption at Laki sent a huge toxic cloud of sulphur across Western Europe, killing an estimated 23,000 Britons.
The cloud first reached Britain on 22 June and was followed by reports of a choking smog containing sulphur dioxide and sulphuric acid which attacked the lungs of its victims.
The amount of gas produced was enough to cause increase temperatures for a whole summer.
And they expect me to listern to the met office on this? phh.pass me the Duct Tape!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
If this eruption lasts for 2 or 3 years what then?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Just been out for a couple of hours walk here in Wales. Barely a cloud in the sky but did notice a smog-like effect on the horizon, though that could just be usual visibility haze.

What was eerie though was not seeing air traffic - flight corridor here so usually quite busy. Today? Not a sausage...

On the whole though, clear blue skies. Sunset could be interesting...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

The last time that volcano popped,it went on for over a year:

Professor Bill McGuire, of the Aon Benfield Hazard Research Centre at University College London, said the previous eruption, in December 1821, lasted until January 1823.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

If that happens again,many people will die of respitory problems,especially those with pre existing conditions like asthma.

Not good..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join