It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious radio waves emitted from nearby galaxy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+135 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

There is something strange in the cosmic neighbourhood. An unknown object in the nearby galaxy M82 has started sending out radio waves, and the emission does not look like anything seen anywhere in the universe before.

"We don't know what it is," says co-discoverer Tom Muxlow of Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics near Macclesfield, UK.

The thing appeared in May last year, while Muxlow and his colleagues were monitoring an unrelated stellar explosion in M82 using the MERLIN network of radio telescopes in the UK. A bright spot of radio emission emerged over only a few days, quite rapidly in astronomical terms. Since then it has done very little except baffle astrophysicists.

It certainly does not fit the pattern of radio emissions from supernovae: they usually get brighter over a few weeks and then fade away over months, with the spectrum of the radiation changing all the while. The new source has hardly changed in brightness over the course of a year, and its spectrum is steady.

Mysterious radio waves emitted from nearby galaxy

This is pretty interesting, but check this out!

Yet it does seem to be moving – and fast: its apparent sideways velocity is four times the speed of light

This is an image of the M82 Galaxy that the signal is coming from

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ba4b2aa551a2.jpg[/atsimg]

for you google sky users M82 is located at RA 9h55m52.72s Dec 69'40'50.30" (or just search M82!)

But what could this be?

Could the object be a black hole? It is not quite in the middle of M82, where astronomers would expect to find the kind of supermassive central black hole that most other galaxies have. Which leaves the possibility that it could be a smaller-scale "microquasar".

Whatever it is, it sure is interesting, and Tom Muxlow of Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics near Macclesfield, UK will report the discovery at the Royal Astronomical Society National Astronomy Meeting in Glasgow, UK, today. So I look foreward to his report!

Here is what the signal looks like

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/059fdc26df0b.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4a268cdb8931.png[/atsimg]

Here is a short vid showing the M82 galaxy

-E-

[edit on 14-4-2010 by MysterE]

+21 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE

Yet it does seem to be moving – and fast: its apparent sideways velocity is four times the speed of light

But what could this be?

That is a perfect example of how the Standard model is totally wrong.

In the standard model as is known by many no matter could travel faster than the speed of light, but it is possible for radio waves to travel faster than light.

Device Makes Radio Waves Travel Faster Than Light

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c6aae3c02420.jpg[/atsimg]

A scientist has created a gadget that can make radio waves travel faster than light. Einstein predicted that particles and information can't travel faster than the speed of light, but phenomena like radio waves are a different story, said John Singleton, who works at the Los Alamos National Laboratory.

The polarization synchrotron combines the waves with a rapidly spinning magnetic field, and the result could explain why pulsars — which are super-dense spinning stars that are a subclass of neutron stars — emit such powerful signals, a phenomenon that has baffled many scientists.

What is odd about the discovery you have highlighted is why the radio signal is constant in luminosity?

This is very odd, because quasars are basically black holes with an accretion disk that give out burst of radiation, so you would expect the signal to increase in luminosity to a peak then decrease quite quickly.

I suspect this is a new object that we have no prior understanding of.

Though to be honest this sort of thing to me screams of intelligence. It would be certainly a good way to send a large wave hello we are here signal, since it does not conform to how normal radio signals perform from known sources.

Star and Flag.

Peace Out,

Korg.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Yet another amazing new type of object. I'll ask my friend who is an astrophysicist and who specifically studies quasars what he thinks it could be.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Wow very intresting. They say the objects moving four times the speed of light..............I thought nothing could travel faster than the speed of light

How many light years away is galaxy M82?

And in which direction is the object moving?

Peace.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
How many light years away is galaxy M82?

And in which direction is the object moving?

From Wiki

Messier 82 (also known as NGC 3034, Cigar Galaxy or M82) is the prototype nearby starburst galaxy about 12 million light-years away in the constellation Ursa Major. The starburst galaxy is five times as bright as the whole Milky Way and one hundred times as bright as our galaxy's center.

Not sure about the direction though.

-E-

+31 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
You know what's missing?

The signal itself for people to hear. I want to hear it, how about anyone else?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
You know what's missing?

The signal itself for people to hear. I want to hear it, how about anyone else?

That would be great, I'll see what I can dig up.

-E-

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
Wow very intresting. They say the objects moving four times the speed of light..............I thought nothing could travel faster than the speed of light:puz
eace.

It is not actually traveling faster than the speed of light (or probably isn't - if it is, then that's something really new!). It's only apparently moving faster because of the relativistic effects of it's motion compared to our motion added together and probably other things that are beyond my ken, since I'm not an astrophysicist. It's an illusion, an apparent speed but not its actual speed, which should be less than the speed of light.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Einstein's theory didn't say objects couldn't travel faster than the speed of light, it only stated that objects couldn't accelerate faster than light. It may seem like symantecs, but if something is already travelling at c or faster, it doesn't need to accelerate.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by SlasherOfVeils]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Them Merlin Archives stop at 2007, and this signal was found in 2009.

-E-

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Hi MysterE,

A great find.

Seems astrophysicians are discovering more and more unknows recently (which I think is great!)

But four times the speed of light - what with the recent gravitational/rotational finds regarding gravity it would appear Albert's theories need to be extended/expanded?

Peace!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by The Wave

No kidding! When I first read that I thought that they had mis-judged the distance and therefore the speed, but then I realized were talking about astro-physicists here!

-E-

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
OK S & F

Great find, Now...

The signal started when the nearby explosion took place now it is constant and traveling away from said explosion at great speed and is broadcasting it's position.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Well all galaxies when we look at them have a red shift which means they are moving away from us, and actually every Galaxy is moving away from everyone due tot he big bang. Also the farther it moves away the faster it goes and therefore it could possibly and theoretically move faster than the speed of light. I was curious about this and remember hearing about when taking my astronomy and astrophysics class a long time ago. here is an article which talks about such. Galaxies traveling faster than the speed of light? It is interesting to think about.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
double post

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Press conference tweet here

Here is "MERLIN 5GHz image at the position of the new radio source May 3rd 2009 - source now visible [resolution 40mas] (Credit Muxlow et al. arXiv:1003.0994)"

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/059fdc26df0b.png[/atsimg]

From this website with all sorts of pertinant data: www.astro.gla.ac.uk...

-E-

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Did they get SETI on this? I mean, they are talking about radio waves like they've never seen before right? It's at least worth checking into.... Never know.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Nice find. Sounds crazy.

Wouldn't something light years away be impossible for us to reach anyways though? It's moving fast but towards us or what?

Can't this be one of those things we'll never understand?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
There are not too many things in astrophysics and astronomy that raise my eyebrows often, but this is just strange. An object emitting stable radio signals and moving at 4 times the speed of light... Either this is a really exotic object or some sort of intelligence. Either way I'm genuinely intrigued.

I'm leaning toward exotic object, but it just wouldn't surprise me to find an artificial source of this phenomenon.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
You know, this really does sound intersting.
And I dont wanna be the first to jumo on the escilation band-wagon, but how many times do we hear about signals then contact...
Although this is probably nothing like that, and is just the formation of some universal body that we havnt witnessed yet.
Its a tuff one for me because I dont know nothing about nothing.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join