It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.9 Earthquake Strikes China

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I think "fun" is the wrong word to attribute to natural disasters. After the big one hits cali and you lose some family members along with your house and stable life then tell me if you consider it fun....

I think when appropriately viewing the events and the loss of life thus far, atrocious or tragic would be a more proper word.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Howdy.

This thread is to discuss the 6.9 Earthquake strikes in China. Not other members.

In short...

Knock it off. Post on topic, or not at all...

[edit on 4/14/2010 by seagull]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

How does the spike correlate to the dramatic increase in seismic recording devices and information dissemination? If you adjust for that, would you not basically have a flat line?

In the fifties and sixties we had almost no news about anything occurring in China for instance. Certainly there were no seismic recording stations set up, so what we know would be through what was reported in the press.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Even the USGS data shows we are ahead for the year on larger Earthquakes. It just has to be seen if we will maintain this pace.

I am kind of curious what the numbers are for EQs above 6.5, that seems to be the threshold where they become far more destructive.

I tried to find something on volcano activity to see if it is changing, but didn't come up with anything quickly enough.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

To have any real meaning we would need hundreds of thousands, if not millions of years of accurate data on the frequency of earthquakes, their cycles and patterns. We have what, maybe 30 years of fairly good data?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks Phage. I should have read all the posts first. I suspected that was the case.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by djcubed
Graph showing increase of ALL 6+ Mag earthquakes from 1973-Present
research.dlindquist.com...

Graph showing increase of TOTAL STRENGTH of ALL earthquakes from 1973-Present

Graph showing increase of TOTAL MAGNITUDE of ALL earthquakes from 1973-Present

We can all show graphs... It's what you are feeling that really matters... Doesn't the world FEEL different?

Well, that's some pretty damning evidence.

(Or, is it? I haven't checked and double-checked the source, yet)

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I didn't read through the entire thread (just the first page) but people will know that the town of Gyegu (formerly Jyekundo) in what used to be known as Kham in Tibet has been 85% levelled with over 600 people killed and 10,000 other casualties. Hundreds are still missing.

I know people from that area who have lost relatives and are still seeking information about what happened there. Phone service was spotty yesterday but one of my friends managed to get through to a relative who told her of the deaths in the family.

This person had intended to go to the Chinese embassy here in Toronto to try to get a visa for Tibet as part of a previously planned trip, but I'm guessing that getting the visa would be a slim possiblity now. I believe she will try anyway.

Apparently the main monastery in the town was destroyed. All in all a very bad day for some wonderful people.

People who want to see what the town looked like before the quake should type Yushu into Google Earth. There are high resolution satellite photos of the town that enable one to zoom in for a very good look at an old styled Tibetan trading town with many walled properties, etc. Sadly all gone now.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by ipsedixit]

My friend has decided not to seek a visa for Tibet this year. It would be pointless for her to go into that area at this time. Her family is mostly situated outside of Gyegu, two or three hours down the road. They told her that they only felt small tremors where they were.

She lost two relatives in Gyegu, one of whom was a five year old child buried when a school collapsed.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by ipsedixit]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

Thanks for the update. It sounds like an Earthquake of this magnitude has not hit the area for a very, very long time, if ever. Sad to hear that so many have been impacted. I hope they are able to get relief aid soon.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Yep, all we can hope for is these major quakes only come in threes.

Makes us living on fault lines a bit weary, hope for the best, plan for the worst.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Here are a lot of photos of the quake aftermath,(warning some are graphic):

cryptome.org...

A devastating quake,poor people.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join