It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.9 Earthquake Strikes China

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

6.9 (Preliminary magnitude — update expected within 15 minutes)
Date-Time

* Tuesday, April 13, 2010 at 23:49:40 UTC
* Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 07:49:40 AM at epicenter

Location 33.300°N, 96.600°E
Depth 33 km (20.5 miles) set by location program
Region SOUTHERN QINGHAI, CHINA
Distances

* 245 km (152 miles) NNW (346°) from Qamdo, Xizang (Tibet)
* 374 km (232 miles) SSE (155°) from Golmud, Qinghai, China
* 607 km (377 miles) SW (235°) from Xining, Qinghai, China
* 917 km (570 miles) NE (44°) from THIMPHU, Bhutan

Location Uncertainty Error estimate not available
Parameters NST=011, Nph=011, Dmin=0 km, Rmss=0.79 sec, Gp=104°,
M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=A
Source

* NOAA Pacific Tsunami Warning Center

[edit on Tue Apr 13th 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
hopefully none were injured and not much building damage occured

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Seems like not a day goes by that there isnt a new pretty good sized earthquake thread made on here. I don't know if these are always going on and this is just being reported more of if there really is more earthquakes happening, but it's interesting none the less. Looking forward to updates..

link   
I bet al gore is going to say it was caused by global warming like Danny Glover did with haiti.

link   
Very remote region in the mountains, so hopefully not much in the way of casualties.

Unfortunately that more then likely means a slow response so if any damage has occurred we may not know for a while...

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Ok , I know earthquakes are normal but this is getting disconcerting. Its good that its in a remote place this time tho.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by VintageEnvy
Seems like not a day goes by that there isnt a new pretty good sized earthquake thread made on here. I don't know if these are always going on and this is just being reported more of if there really is more earthquakes happening, but it's interesting none the less. Looking forward to updates..

I definitely believe that the frequency and severity of earthquakes is most certainly on the increase. This is especially the case for quakes within the 6.0 to 6.9 magnitude range.

In the following graph that I have created, I demonstrate that since around 1950, that the frequency of this range earthquake is easily seen to be on the increase.
A comparison of the 29 year period from 1980 to 2009 and the 29 year period from 1950 to 1979, shows that there has been a 132% increase in earthquakes within this magnitude range.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
You beet me to it! I'm going to ask the mods to either delete or move my thread now.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Can oil in our Earth's crust act like a lubricant? Is this all due to us messing with nature's gears? Just curious. I haven't heard anyone mention that on here before. I have NO intent to derail. Also, condolences to any lost in this recent quake.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by patmac]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by patmac
Can oil in our Earth's crust act like a lubricant? Is this all due to us messing with nature's gears? Just curious. I haven't heard anyone mention that on here before. I have NO intent to derail. Also, condolences to any lost in this recent quake.

wiki.answers.com...
Some people think so, yep.
pesn.com...

[edit on 13-4-2010 by bluemooone2]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemooone2

Originally posted by patmac

wiki.answers.com...
Some people think so, yep.
pesn.com...

[edit on 13-4-2010 by bluemooone2]

Well, if thats true than everyone better start PRAYING right now.

PRAY that oil regenerates naturally within just a few decades rather than millions of years.

Cuz if not, we are begging for a global geological disaster.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Im hearring word that its just about to be upgraded to about a 7.1
Via the china earthquake networks...

Will update if more comes up.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
First of all, I am glad there are no fatalities reported with this last quake.

Now, I really do feel the need to repeat something I've said in other earthquake threads on ATS. We have a 6.0 to 6.9 quake an average of once every 3 days. We are a third of the way through the year and at about a third of the global average. Right on target. Not more than usual. Dead on normalcy. Not slightly unusual. Totally normal. Get my meaning?

As to the overall increase in global averages from 1950 to 2010, we have only been able to accurately measure quakes UNDER 7.0 for two decades. Our technology has grown leaps and bounds since the '90s so of course we're recording a larger number of mid-level quakes than we did in the early half of the last century.

This hysteria I'm seeing here on ATS regarding earthquakes really needs to stop. Nothing is unusual about it and (to those who need to make a thread for every quake over 4.0 mag) you are really wasting your time. Time is your most valuable resource so don't throw it away. Deny ignorance. Open your eyes and ears to the truth instead of falling into a pattern of blind fear and sensationalism. The earth shakes more than you seem to realize.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The 5.3 I'm assuming may be an aftershock?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Did anyone notice that the Earth was just hit by a CME yesterday and the day before? Auroras were seen as low as Michigan and Maine. There was also a huge prominence on the sun today.

I've read some of the junk armchair science some people have tried to use to debunk the link between earth's quakes and the sun's activity... it should be getting clearer to people that there is a definite link.

I'm not saying all quakes are caused by the sun, but there is a link and I will be posting a thread this week that shows it so keep an eye out for it if you're interested.

In the mean time, if you want your own confirmation, go to the spaceweather.com archives and compare the 2-4 days around each major quake and you'll see that a majority were preceded by a coronal mass ejection. There are too many dynamics involved to say that it's one specific mechanism that causes the quakes, but there are absolutely forces at work between the earth and the sun that are causing these flare ups (no pun intended) of earth quakes.

As soon as I have the time, watch for my post this week for a clearer picture.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Missletow

DENY

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Missletow

Now, I really do feel the need to repeat something I've said in other earthquake threads on ATS. We have a 6.0 to 6.9 quake an average of once every 3 days. We are a third of the way through the year and at about a third of the global average. Right on target. Not more than usual. Dead on normalcy. Not slightly unusual. Totally normal. Get my meaning?

Sorry, but the obvious interpretation is that this is anything but normal.

As to the overall increase in global averages from 1950 to 2010, we have only been able to accurately measure quakes UNDER 7.0 for two decades. Our technology has grown leaps and bounds since the '90s so of course we're recording a larger number of mid-level quakes than we did in the early half of the last century.

Thats totally incorrect.
We have been able to measure accurately EVERY 6.0 to 6.9 magnitude earthquake since 1950 ... which is the reason my graph commences in that year. What I have shown is a completely accurate assessment of the frequency of this magnitude range over the last 6 decades.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Do you really believe that there were only 7 earthquakes between 6.0 and 6.9 in 1950? The curve shows an increase in the number of networks providing data to ANSS, not an increase in the number of earthquakes.

From the description of the catalog:

The ANSS catalog contains a number of idiosyncrasies. For example, magnitudes for California earthquakes were not routinely reported until the 1940s. For global events, magnitudes are not routinely reported until the early 1960s. This means, for example, that the largest earthquake observed - the 1960 Chilean earthquake (Mw 9.5) - appears in this catalog without an associated magnitude.

As a further illustration, consider these histograms of the number of events in the ANSS catalog at various magnitude levels. These plots were generated for every 5 years between 1940 and 1995. One can see the relatively low numbers of events in 1940-1960, and the sudden increase in 1965. This represents the increase in USGS earthquake monitoring efforts as well as the routine reporting of magnitude from the NEIC. Another burst can be seen in 1975 as many of the NEHRP-funded networks began to come online. Beginning in the 1980s, events at the higher magnitude levels begin to show some stability. For example, here are year-by-year histograms for the 1980s and 1990s, showing the variations in numbers of events of magnitude 4 and higher. While the number of magnitude 4.0-4.9 events gradually evolves, the number of magnitude 5 and higher events has remained relatively stable on the year to year basis.

www.ncedc.org...

[edit on 4/13/2010 by Phage]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Missletow

This hysteria I'm seeing here on ATS regarding earthquakes really needs to stop. Nothing is unusual about it and (to those who need to make a thread for every quake over 4.0 mag) you are really wasting your time. Time is your most valuable resource so don't throw it away. Deny ignorance. Open your eyes and ears to the truth instead of falling into a pattern of blind fear and sensationalism. The earth shakes more than you seem to realize.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

By your own admission, measuring all the activity wasn't as accurate until recently, but certainly the news and people have been for decades. When people feel the ground shake, it is reported, even if devices haven't always been around to measure it.

Also, the USGS admits that they have skewed numbers prior to the 70's, so your trends, in geological terms, are a small fraction of the data set needed to come to a solid statistical pattern of how the earth shakes, rattles and rolls. For you to take 20-30 years worth of data no the lifetime of the earth's movements and claim that you know there is no pattern here or nothing to worry about is certainly flying in the face of the deny ignorance motto here.

Nobody is freaking out about this, people are just becoming more aware and if you live near a fault, like I do, you want to be in the "know" if there is some way to see what's coming. Some people live in a state of constant preparation, not fear.

Coming on here and claiming that you "know" something so well that you have to talk down to others, or repeat it or clarify it as though nobody here is as intelligent as you are, comes off as purely arrogant. Just my 1 cent.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thank you Phage for using logic and reasoning. I hate to pee on the fear parade, but this is getting out of hand. You kids today....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join