It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Free Speech only apply to certain groups?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Is Free Speech a right that all of us enjoy as citizens of the United States of America or is it something that only applies to groups in minority. The below article points out the recent uproar about the T-Shirts with the Slogan "Straight Pride".

Todd Starnes

Gay pride is just fine but Straight pride is homophobic and racist, according to some gay and lesbian advocacy groups.

Is "Straight Pride" that derogatory or hateful?

Also I am not posting this to make this into bash thread against people's orientation and please respect others opinions. I would like to see your honest and non derogatory replies.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The few gay people I have met would find a shirt like that not at all offensive, and would even support me wearing it just for giggles. It must be the San Fran crowd that would take offense to something like that. Either that or the San Fran crowd's lawyers.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
A few of my gay friends would come to same conclusion as yours. They would find it amusing also.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Free speech applies to any and all people of the united states of america. Straight pride parades are ok in my book. Im not pro or anti- gay, its a personal choice, but i hate when the people trying to "help" a certain group is suddenly anti- anything that's not them. In trying to teach tolerance, they preach hatred for those who don't hold the same beliefs.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
"freedom of speech" means you have the right to wear any t-shirt you like and other people have the right to say they don't like your t-shirt.

this is not an attack on freedom of speech, it's a demonstration of how it should work.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

I personally find the straight pride shirts to be just stupid.
That being said, of course people have the right to sell and wear them.
It's allways easy to support "free speech" when it comes to things you agree with, the test is things you don't agree with.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

No people can wear whatever they want the guy that wrote that article does not write the law or enforce it.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

If you don't agree with it, turn your other cheek. People in America have become so soft, so politically correct. I say grow some bullocks and deal with it. Lots of things in life hurt your feelings, grow up, get over it. No one will have the exact same opinion as someone else. I'm not anti-gay nor pro-gay, it's their choice and its not any of my business what their choice is nor is it yours.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

This reminds of of My " Welcome to America, Now speak English" Shirt my Mexican buddy bought me as a joke.... He dared me to wear it to his families home. His father thought it was pretty funny, a few people did not.

They told me they did not like the shirt and asked me to take it off, I told them this is America and I can wear what I want... Plus your father said it was a okay=)....

Were dying in America, we our on our final leg, welcome to Rome.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Let's ring the cash register in honor of our differences of opinion.
There's money to be made! I'm not validating any political stance, but pointing out how we so like to put our money where our mouth is. If somebody wants to buy t-shirts, vendors will print what sells. Issues like free speech motivate us to show our support, ka-ching ka-ching.

gj

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
These are my feelings on free speech. I think anybody should be able to say anything they want. That's the spirit of free speech. I can say anything I want and you can't do anything about it, but I have to respect your right to say whatever you want and realize that I cannot do anything about it. It seems like children have a better grip on the rights we are born with. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.

Words only have power over you if you give them power over you. Another case of the nanny state stepping in to protect people because they are unable to do it themselves. Waaaaaah someone is threatening me, man up and defend yourself. Don't expect someone else to do it for you. Civilization is loseing it's ability to be personnaly responsible for their actions, inactions and the ability to stand up for yourself. If we could increase personnal responsibility and respect for others then this wouldn't be much of a problem.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by BrianInRI]

edits for butchering the English language from being on a mobile device and not proof reading.....see personnal responsibility and takeing ownership of your mistakes.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The power of Free speech comes with a responsibility called 'consideration to others'.

It may be alright for you, afterall it is only a shirt, an immaterial stuff and cause no harm, but to another, it hurt their feelings and may result in adverse defensive actions, ultimately hurting you in the end.

Is it worth it? Or was there an intention to hurt in the first place? Is there no other shirt avaliable?

Are responsibilites a chore upon 'freedoms'? If we are to consider others on how they feel and how they react, aren't we denying our own freedom of expression?

The answer lays in where you live - in the jungles by yourself or in a civilised society with close proximity to others with a common goal of achieving equality, harmony, prosperity and happiness for all.

Free will is yours. Use it wisely.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by bigshow

Uh, thats pretty much what I said.
did you read my post or someone elses?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
In theory, we all have the right to free speech. but from what i've seen, free speech only applies to you if you have a good enough lawyer

top topics

join