It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since Tax Day is approaching and protests are scheduled...I have a simple question...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

The Tax refund you are receiving now is from the previous year, the policies that were passed by the corrupto-crats in congress are for the coming years. Get ready to feed the needs of this ever growing government by the IRS task force employees, coming to a local wallet near you.

A tax cut that is helping a lot of people is the "making work pay" credit passed by Obama and the democrats (why must people use childish names in politics?). There are also many other things passed by Obama and the democrats involving standard deductions, education credits, and credits on new cars, houses, and energy efficient appliances.

So not only will the taxes will be going up to support the health care bill above

Could you give examples of increase in taxes for "average" Americans in the health care bill??? Anything under 250k will do...if you can find it...which I don't think you will.

Also, I think there has been a few threads started already on the purposed VAT

No one "proposed" a VAT tax...that is a flat out lie. An advisor "mentioned" that the IDEA of a VAT tax is "not as toxic as it once was". You have to really stretch that to turn that into a PROPOSED TAX.

But you failed to answer the question...are you paying less or more taxes this year? Did your available deductions/credits go up or down?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Okay, I'm going to come off as really dumb here. When looking at my taxes what specifically should I be looking for to make comparisons? My husband did our taxes as I am math illiterate
. And last year I was married and had a child so would there be any use of me posting whether I paid less or more using those two facts seeing as the year before I was single and didn't have dependents? Numbers give me a headache >_

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

No, what Americans don't know is that 100% of their tax dollars vaporize into a black void never to be heard from again. This has been true for a long time, but confirmed when the Grace Commission was created in the 80s to do the study.

Everything our governmnt does is done with borrowed money. Last year we paid taxes April 15th, by May all that money was gone. GONE! Sucked into the black hole that is the US government.

Edit to add:

That black hole I mentioned is also known as the interest on our debt.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

Yeah...with your situation it would be hard to compare. But I would assume getting married and having a child should of given you some nice deductions/credits. But if you also now have a combined income with your husband your income will go up.

Bottom line is that there are probably too many factors in your case to get a good idea how any changes in the tax code affected you. But hopefully you made out better

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Okay, I'll leave the childish names out of it and thanks for correcting my typo's. Now to answer you question, my refund was higher. Should I be excited about that or worried as to where is this extra refund money coming from? I haven't had any changes in my filing, same accountant as last year. Sorry I might not be of the same cloth as you where I would be happy to receive something for nothing. Sure it might be good now for the people who need to lighten the load, but it might benefit to look past this refund? Maybe just up until next tax day? Maybe I can visit this thread next tax day and chime in then also. Though, I am not the one to go told you so.

And what do you consider taxes? Do you consider taxes as the ones where you have to file? Do you also consider taxes as amounts being to added to everyday goods and services also? Sometimes tax increases might not be as visible at the time you file but you will definitely find it affecting you in your everyday situations. Some might pass this businesses adding on extra to cover their end. And what is they are trying to cover? Ah, they might be trying to cover their expenses from the extra tax burden they have had/expect or w/e else. It still amounts to higher costs getting passed onto the little guy.

So the business/service provider gets taxed ---> extra charges passed on ---> Increased costs felt by the little guy, though not in form of taxes. And its not always going to be federal taxes that will be going up, it could state and local taxes. Don't be view taxes going up on 250k as the threshold. Everyone is paying into the bank, you just don't realize it yet.

Some links for you...

Lower income people beleive we are overtaxed

Obama Plans to levy Internet Tax

Durbin: If you Make over 200k, you have to pay higher taxes

The above link refutes your argument of 250k.

Credits for middle income families

The above link talks about the credits made available only if you have kids under 17y/o

Health Bill increases Taxes not only for wealthy

Dem Rep: Taxes will go up for middle class

I will let you gobble up the information from the above links, I hope you do take the time to take the look at them and not merely just put a reply with nothing to back up that reply.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

You would look at your federal tax form, either a 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ. There is a line for "Total Taxes" - page 2 on the 1040 & 1040A, first page on the 1040EZ.

We paid more this year since hubby took a promotion. I was a tax preparer for 10 years and retired before this season. I didn't want to see all the hardship this year. Talking to my old offices (one in CA, one in PA) there is a lot more unemployment, more layoffs, more foreclosures and more desperate people this year.

There are several items which will directly or indirectly raise my taxes when Obamacare goes into effect, even though we make well under $250k. First of all, the flexible spending accounts for healthcare (shields up to $5k from income, social security and medicare tax to use in reimbursing med expenses) is decreasing to $2,500 per year. I have an autistic son with expensive meds, overnight diapers, therapy that I use this for. Non prescription meds won't be allowed under FSAs anymore, which means his supplements for calcium deficiency and the like are no longer eligible.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

Good links. I think it would be more realistic to compare the "Total Tax" amount rather than the refund amounts. Refund can be changed by so many variables including a change to the withholding tables. Total Tax gives you a concrete number to compare.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Just wanted to follow up with another link if you had already had the chance to digest the information from the previous links.

European Style Tax

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join