It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since Tax Day is approaching and protests are scheduled...I have a simple question...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Did your taxes go up or down this year???

I just don't hear as much outrage this year over taxes...tax day is in 3 days and not many are losing their minds...but I still see the Tea (Taxed Enough Already) Party setting up protests.

Personally...I paid way less taxes this year...for multiple reasons including new credits/deductions I was able to take that I wasn't able to last year.

So I just wanted to see what everyone experienced this year...because I have a feeling that most people had to pay less taxes this year...just a hunch.

And if that is true...what would that fact do to the purpose of the Tea Party?

[edit on 12-4-2010 by OutKast Searcher]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
First, I would like to thank you for not reffering to the TEA Party members in the derragotary manner that so many on the left love to do. (uber gross) anyway, very mature of you.

Secondly, you will find out that the taxing has just begun and people will not 'feel" it until next April.

Thirdly, Pople have worked alot less this year (self employed) than laast year so yes, they will pay less taxes this year BECAUSE they made less htis year..simple economics.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by joey_hv]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I did have to pay less taxes but it was b/c my hours were significantly cut due to too much hiring and then the market slowing and my boss deciding we didn't need to fire anyone. I don't blame the govt. for that though, I blame my crappy boss.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Tax Freedom Day was one day later this year than last year. I wonder what 2011 is looking like. Tax Freedom Day

And my favorite quote:

Despite all these tax reductions, Americans will pay more taxes in 2010 than they will spend on food, clothing and shelter combined.

Put in perspective enough?

[edit on 12-4-2010 by Ahabstar]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
How dare you bring numbers into the equation. Personally, I, and my girlfriend (yeah, I know I'd get back more if we were married thanks to conservatives always wanting to get up in peoples' business), and my brother all got huge refunds compared to past years. I got back about $2500, whereas last year I only got around a grand....

The fact of the matter is this:

....the average tax refund is up nearly 10% -- about $3,000 -- this year? And that there are more than a dozen Recovery Act tax cuts that over 100 million Americans can take advantage of this tax season?

Here's some help for people that want some real information on reality, if that's your thing:

Tax savings tool

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Yeah, I realize with cut hours and things like that it will mean more people pay less...I should of put a disclaimer about that.

But...I'm more looking into if anybody was able to take more deductions or recieve more credits this year that were not available last year? And did anybody have a percentage increase while being in the same tax bracket as last year.

That would proabably be better to look at than just if you flat out paid more or less.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
Tax Freedom Day was one day later this year than last year. I wonder what 2011 is looking like. Tax Freedo Day

And my favorite quote:

Despite all these tax reductions, Americans will pay more taxes in 2010 than they will spend on food, clothing and shelter combined.

Put in perspective enough?

Not really, no, not at all. How could food, shelter, and clothes be more expensive than the cost of national defense, roads, police, firefighters, education and on and on. I feel like I'm getting a deal (especially since 'defense' is one of those untouchable line-items).

[edit on 4/12/2010 by skunknuts]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrymomma
I did have to pay less taxes but it was b/c my hours were significantly cut due to too much hiring and then the market slowing and my boss deciding we didn't need to fire anyone. I don't blame the govt. for that though, I blame my crappy boss.
ok, you call him a crappy boss because he hires people that are in need of work and then you blame him for not firing anyone???
why do you think those people were in need of work? why do you think the market slowed down?

you should be thanking your boss, he sounds like a caring man.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by joey_hv]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Only tax break I had was the Unemployment deal. The first $2500 were exempt, and I only collected $1781 in Unemployment Payments (out of $5300 initially available, extensions would have made it far more) because I didn't sit on my butt and found a job as quickly as I could.

Sure, it was minimum wage, but I had unlimited overtime until Dec 19, 2009 due to a contract bid lost for 2010. Overall, I made about $4500 more in 2009 than in 2008 so I paid more taxes and had about a $600 lower return for 2009. I also had to pay more to the local school district and had to pay an additional $49 to the city.

Math says, higher taxes in 2009 than 2008.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Being a self employed, entrepreneur and incorporated; small business has great tax advantages. Especially if you get the services of a good tax lawyer, accountant and financial adviser.

as Leona Helmsley said...

"only the little people pay taxes"

www.barrypopik.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
We made more money last year than in 2008. But we paid less taxes because of the "make work pay" deduction.

I don't follow the teapartiers anymore. I haven't heard about the protests.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The Tax refund you are receiving now is from the previous year, the policies that were passed by the corrupto-crats in congress are for the coming years. Get ready to feed the needs of this ever growing government by the IRS task force employees, coming to a local wallet near you.

BTW did anyone hear about this, Indian Outsourcers Psyched About Obamacare .....

So not only will the taxes will be going up to support the health care bill above, but the jobs that would've been created are already begining to get spoken for. Obama was right about Jobs being his goal this year, just not for Americans.

Also, I think there has been a few threads started already on the purposed VAT (Value Added Tax), its something you wont be getting a refund for. Less paper work that way, which is one way to improve the efficiency of this beast of a government.

So yea about that refund, any second thoughts?

[edit on 12-4-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts

You think you're getting a deal? All politics aside, everything our government has been doing since the day I landed in the US 20 years ago is spend borrowed money by orders of magnitude. If you think you're getting a deal wait till those debts are called in.

Obama is doing the same thing Bush did only bigger. When Bush sent our military to the middle east for oil...erm..freedom he decided not to pay for it, but let the Treasury issue debt to foreigners to pay for it, decided to run a deficit, and cut taxes instead. Obama is spending money like it is going out of style, only it doesn't belong to us anymore, it belongs to our foreign creditors.

We can't keep doing this. This is not something to be playing politics with, this is a matter of life and death, prosperity or poverty, liberty or bondage. Partisan politics isn't reality it is a play, soon enough reality catches up, and it's a bitch.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by joey_hv

Two of the people that work here have blatantly stated that they do not need these jobs (two well off women on retirement) for the money, just need it to occupy their time. We have several people who mess up on a daily basis and get written up every other week. My boss (the owner) brought in a friend just because it was his friend and it severely cut everyone's hours while this person gets full time.

I work at a hotel and we deal with mainly construction because we are an extended stay hotel. We cater to those staying more than a night or two a week. Several of our big construction projects are done here where I live so we don't get as much business. So, I should have said business slowed and not the market.

And no, he is not a caring man, unless you are a certain something but I don't want to get into that here b/c I don't normally talk like that. This caring man is firing me in August b/c I have to have a child and recover.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

Congratulations on you expected labor, now to comment on your point. So he is a bad boss bc he is keeping his staff despite the current economic slowdown and he is giving you time off because you would be closer to you labor date so no complications arise? I mean you are pregnant and work in construction, I would think during you pregnancy heavy work should be avoided no matter at what term you might be in. Seems to me he's more about your current condition than you might be yourself aware off.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

I work at a hotel, not in construction. We deal mainly with construction workers. And my boss is not giving me "time off." I am being fired. When I have to go to the hospital in August I will no longer have a job.

But thank you for the congrats, I found out Sunday that it's a girl

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Do you not believe the situation will be at least a little alleviated when the Bush tax cuts for the very rich are rolled back? I do hope they are not renewed as do quite a few of my extended family members who will in fact be paying more...former Republicans I might add! They saw what happened to me and a lot of my cousins, well the American middle class in general and have done some serious thinking and soul searching in the last ten years or so.

I think we will catch up when we stop coddling the super rich and giving welfare and tax breaks to huge corporations...especially those who outsource and who launder money, offshore accounts, etc. If he and Holder go after this kind of corruption I think we will start back on the right path and recover some of our wealth.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

No I don't. The Bush tax cuts, when they expire, will not guarantee enough revenew to make a dent. If the goal of that money is to pay back debt that is. But if the government does what it always does, it will squander it trying to save pennies on a fortune. The tax code is 80,000 pages give or take, a code this complex can only be used against us and it is. Does anyone really think that these corporation won't find a loophole that no ones knows anything about? The only reason tax lawyers exist is because of the tax codes complexity. It is built to be unfair and destructive.

Unless we completely overhaul our tax system to be fair, as in, Equal protection under the law, then we are going to keep having these problems. We need a fair tax system, a smaller government, a strong military, the disintegration of the overseas empire, and more policies that protect our rights, not policies that destroy them piece by piece. I'm a constitutionalist, not a republican. Republicans talk the game but in reality are part of the problem.

We need less statists and more freedom loving patriots.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts

If people want to understand where their taxes go, try visiting a third world country. And see if you think it is all being mis-spent.

Americans gripe if their roads have pot holes.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I totally agree with your sentiment but I would have to add that we pay certain taxes and the like to have those potholes fixed.

I am in no way, shape, or form saying pot holes are more important.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join