It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daredevil to Plunge From Outer Space in Supersonic Suit

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7eae7940202f.jpg[/atsimg]
Article:

Skydiving is dangerous. Skydiving from a plane in outer space can kill you, with temperatures that can freeze a body and pressure that can boil blood. To survive his 23-mile plunge from the edge of space, Felix Baumgartner will depend on a truly unique new spacesuit.

This is no stunt; it's called the Red Bull Stratos project, and the engineers and scientists behind this attempt to break the record for the highest freefall ever -- from 120,000 feet above sea level -- hope it will yield volumes of data that will be used to develop advanced life support systems for future pilots, astronauts, and even space tourists. And to do it, they've designed a unique supersonic spacesuit

Source:www.foxnews.com...

How cool but come on... CRAZY. Should be very interesting to watch, and to see what info they develope from the test.
Any bet takers on he doesn't make it? Sad to think about but....

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Heck yeah baby!! Now this I got to see. This should be a fun experience and I hope that all goes well for the stuntman.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Way cool...

I think if they are sane, they need to do some testing with a dummy equipped with pressure and temperature sensors. Otherwise he may end up with his feet frozen solid and his head barbequed, all at the same time (due to supersonic nature of the fall).

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Wasn't this done back in the 50s/60s?

I seem to remember some chap doing it,from a hot air ballon,with a plank hanging off the side...He had a leak in his suit and thought he was going to lose a hand...hang on ill see If I can find the vid.....here it is-Joe Kittenger,1960 from a height of 102 000 feet!

Something to tell the grand kids about or what?

[edit on 12/4/2010 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
More like something for the Red Bull commercials this summer.

It's been done.

Great thrill for the jumper! I wonder what "data" they will be collecting - and who get's it to "review"?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Yes, as indicated in the OP, the dare devil is attempting to break the old record of 102,000 feet-or 19 miles high: (interesting site about it: web.mac.com...

by jumping at 23 miles [=121,440 feet (37,014.91 metres)].

I don't think anyone can say that has been done before.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Wow never before did I know someone attempted such a thing, and someone is going to try and break the original record? Jeez I have a lot of crazy ideas in my head but this kind of takes the cake. Would certainly feel interesting dropping from that height. Wonder how much it would cost to actually do this...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
He should try it with one of those "wing suits",see if he go be the first intercontinental human glider.

Looks like the ultimate buzz...and to think that all you really need is a big bag of gas and a pressure suit(and some big stones).

Maybe someone from ATS will have a go one day-I would,but for my dodgey back...you understand

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

Yes, as indicated in the OP, the dare devil is attempting to break the old record of 102,000 feet-or 19 miles high: (interesting site about it: web.mac.com...

I'm not taking anything away from the jumper or his intended new record. But free-falling from the vacuum of space into the atmosphere has been done before.

Just going 20,000 feet higher into the exosphere isn't really that much more of an accomplishment - unless there is something especially unique about this that I am missing.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Yes, as indicated in the OP, the dare devil is attempting to break the old record of 102,000 feet-or 19 miles high.

You are right,it ain't been done from this height.
I could not load the article before,(crap net connection) but I have read it now.Sounds awesome,especially when he hits the sound barrier.

Todd expects Baumgartner will reach Mach1 somewhere between 100,000 and 90,000 feet. But it won't be overly uncomfortable. At that altitude, he says, "It will feel like putting your hand out the window of a car going 35 mph."
McCarter is convinced the suit will protect Baumgartner, based on pilots who have survived ejections at similar altitudes But exactly what will happen when -- if -- Baumgartner becomes the first supersonic man remains unknown. Could the sonic boom damage his hearing? Will the turbulence of breaking the speed of sound spin him out of control? Will there be any turbulence at all?

www.foxnews.com...

I guess he will find out.
Hope he comes out of it with his health intact,and a good video to show us all!

[edit on 12/4/2010 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I think the real promotion behind this stunt involves a full and complete blood transfusion/exchange with actual Red Bull product. America will no longer "Run on Dunkin" Red Bull and products of the like are taking over. To think, I thought Jolt cola was good $%#@ back in the day.

Red Bull in the veins... Gotta love their promotions!!

My personal fav.
www.redbullflugtagusa.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

And, I saw this in another report (the only thing missing from the Fox report):

an Austrian daredevil named Felix Baumgartner plans to take the 23-mile plunge from the edge of space, FOXNews.com said today. And in the process, he hopes to become the first parachutist to break the sound barrier, plummeting toward the ground at 1223km per hour.

Thats 761.6 miles per hour!!! Now that is impressive.

Makes me think maybe the beginnings of a new type of miliarty unit. Could you imagine about 1000 high speed and high flying marines heading towards their targets at 761.6 miles an hour. Talk about the element of surprise!!

Hmm Maybe those aliens in The War of the Worlds (Tom Cruise one) that shot into the ground to activate the machines .... never mind.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Imagine it en masse
-Now that would be the 21st century version of a para troop invasion-

Picture it,America wakes up to find 3 million chinese flying darts hurtling into her airspace,norad goes offline due to recieving too many radar sigs,its like an ariel DDos attack,but with real flying china men.

All speeding toward the ground at the speed of sound.

Crikey,does not bare thinking about.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
That must be incredible. 120,000 feet...

If you haven't seen it, this video with Ueli Gegenschatz is amazing. Unfortunately he died in a base jumping accident, some would say to be expected I suppose, but what he accomplished is incredible.

www.ted.com...

Enjoy. The scene where he's chilling on top of a hot air balloon is brilliant.

Sendran.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sendran
That must be incredible. 120,000 feet...

If you haven't seen it, this video with Ueli Gegenschatz is amazing. Unfortunately he died in a base jumping accident, some would say to be expected I suppose, but what he accomplished is incredible.

www.ted.com...

Enjoy. The scene where he's chilling on top of a hot air balloon is brilliant.

Sendran.

Check this out -- my favorite vid:

vimeo.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Sendran

Wow thanks Sendran.
That is truly inspirational.
What a guy,talk about pushing the envolope!

Imagine what that felt like,sliding off the air balloon or soaring down the Eiger.

Ueli Gegenschatz-What a guy.

I bet hes still soaring though the multiverse somewhere.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
This will be amazingly cool technology if they can pull it off.

I hope there aren't too many casualties before they get it right.

Can you imagine how useful this could be, especially if there was some kind of life support or suspended animation capacity built in? As well as sufficient heat shielding.

In a space emergency you could put this on. It would tranquilize you or keep you alive, while it sensed the nearest safe landing body and used a small puft of jet to get you started there. It could be totally automated after that.

Who needs a life boat, you would have your life-suit.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I guess the ultimate would be to jump out of an airlock on the ISS,and wing suit your way back to earth...It may singe a bit though.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

That has to be about THEE coolest thing I ever saw a human do! Wow.
Those type of people have some b-lls. Seriously.

I wonder what what going on in his head on the way up. And the way down-for that matter.

Now I am even more interested in this story if OP'ed. I can see already the difference in the suit size. I bet the footage will be amazing.

Thank you for posting that clip.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Ive done 15,500 - And I froze my ass off on the way down.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join