Daredevil to Plunge From Outer Space in Supersonic Suit

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Although this looks like an ad look through that.
Remember 761.6 miles per hour (1225.67 Kilometers per Hour)= Mach-1, Speed of Sound there could be a Boom if he can reach the target speed.

"For about the first 30 seconds he's not going to feel anything," says Mike Todd, a life-support engineer at Sage Cheshire Aerospace and a member of the Red Bull Stratos team. This is particularly dangerous because, even though the air is so thin that it won't feel like he's even falling, Baumgartner must get into exactly the right position -- the so-called delta position -- to attain the speed he wants and survive the five-and-a-half-minute descent.

Todd expects Baumgartner will reach Mach1 somewhere between 100,000 and 90,000 feet. But it won't be overly uncomfortable. At that altitude, he says, "It will feel like putting your hand out the window of a car going 35 mph."

There's a video too:

Zelong.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Zelong

I can't get the link to open up. I assume it worked. Must be where I am at?

Anyway, could you check that link please. Interested.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Another aerial daredevil, not quite the same, but like Gegenschatz, incredible nonetheless.

www.youtube.com...

Mr Yves Rossy, aka Jetman.

Sendran.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Hell, more power to him, I'm sure he'll have the time of his life. Or last time of his life. Whatever.

All I know is that he's got more balls than I do, I couldn't be the first man to do that from that height, lol.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by Destiny Of Souls]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Sendran

That is THEE 2nd most coolest thing I have seen a human do. Awesome video. Thanks for posting that one.

Notice they didn't show himi landing....... maybe it ain't so pretty...lol

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zelong
Although this looks like an ad look through that.
Remember 761.6 miles per hour (1225.67 Kilometers per Hour)= Mach-1, Speed of Sound there could be a Boom if he can reach the target speed.

Todd expects Baumgartner will reach Mach1 somewhere between 100,000 and 90,000 feet.

Not that it isn't still rather fast, but the speed of sound at these altitudes would be more in the 670 mph or 985 km/h range. I know I've seen the 1225 km/h number elsewhere in media reports, but that is sloppy journalism

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
While jumping from the threshold of space in some special suit to Earth must be a real rush, once its done, the only way to beat it is to be on the Moon and use some Wylie Coyote Acme Rocket booster to get you going and do this jump to Earth from the surface of the Moon. Blasting off from the moon and seeing it live from some head cam would be the thrill ticket pay for view of the century.

Now that's the jump I want to see. Man plunges to Earth from Surface of Moon, attempts longest free fall in history of mankind. Film at eleven, where we will describe how he ate and slept and relieved himself during his long free fall to Earth.

Thanks for the posting.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Sorry about that try this .com not com/au
Redbull Stratos it's the same video. Here we go I think I've got the video link right.
Red Bull Stratos videos

Zelong.

[edit on 13/4/10 by Zelong]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

It's great isn't it. As suggested previously, imagine a fleet of these in the skies, like the Nazi video from the movie The Rocketeer. Rather see them racing myself....

Icarus would be proud.

Sendran.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Gigantea Rosa

It was not done as a publicity stunt, like this new one, those tests were done because of the stage we were reaching in experimental aircraft of the day, and the accidents that were occurring:

The Lockheed NF-104A was an American mixed power, high-performance, supersonic aerospace trainer that served as a low cost astronaut training vehicle for the X-15 and projected X-20 Dyna-Soar programs. Three aircraft were modified from existing Lockheed F-104A airframes and served with the Aerospace Research Pilots School between 1963 and 1971, the modifications included a small supplementary rocket engine and a reaction control system for flight in the upper atmosphere. During the test program the maximum altitude reached was over 120,000 ft (36,600 m). One of the aircraft was destroyed in an accident while being flown by Chuck Yeager which was later featured in The Right Stuff motion picture, the surviving NF-104As being retired from service.

The North American X-15 rocket-powered aircraft/spaceplane was part of the X-series of experimental aircraft, initiated with the Bell X-1, that were made for the USAF, NASA, and the USN. The X-15 set speed and altitude records in the early 1960s, reaching the edge of outer space and returning with valuable data used in aircraft and spacecraft design. It currently holds the official world record for the fastest speed ever reached by a manned rocket powered aircraft.

During the X-15 program, 13 of the flights (by eight pilots) met the USAF spaceflight criteria by exceeding the altitude of 50 miles (80.47 km, 264,000 ft), thus qualifying the pilots for astronaut status. The USAF pilots qualified for USAF astronaut wings, while the civilian pilots were later awarded NASA astronaut wings.Of all the X-15 missions, two flights (by the same pilot) qualified as space flights per the international (Fédération Aéronautique Internationale) definition of a spaceflight by exceeding a 100 kilometer (62.137 mi, 328,084 ft) altitude.

The Lockheed U-2, nicknamed "Dragon Lady", is a single-engine, very high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft operated by the United States Air Force and previously flown by the Central Intelligence Agency. It provides day and night, very high-altitude (70,000 feet / 21,000 meters), all-weather surveillance. The aircraft is also used for electronic sensor research and development, satellite calibration, and satellite data validation.

SR-71 (1964)
Crews flying the SR-71 at 80,000 ft (24,000 m) faced two main survival problems: 1) with a standard pressure demand oxygen mask, human lungs cannot absorb enough of 100% oxygen above 43,000 ft (13,000 m) to sustain consciousness and life, and 2) the instant heat rise pulse on the body when exposed to a Mach 3.2 air flow during ejection would be about 450 °F (230 °C). To solve these problems, the David Clark Company was hired to produce protective full pressure suits for all of the crew members of the A-12, YF-12, MD-21 and SR-71 aircraft. These suits were later adopted for use on the Space Shuttle during ascent.

They had to know the feasibility of ejecting from these high altitude experimental and reconnaissance aircraft…

“On December 10, 1963, while testing an NF-104A rocket-augmented aerospace trainer, he narrowly escaped death when his aircraft went out of control at 108,700 feet (nearly 21 miles up) and crashed. He parachuted to safety at 8,500 feet after vainly battling to gain control of the powerless, rapidly falling craft. In this incident he became the first pilot to make an emergency ejection in the full pressure suit needed for high altitude flights.” (from the biography of Gen. Yeager)

Powers was discharged from the Air Force in 1956 with the rank of captain. He then joined the CIA's U-2 program. U-2 pilots flew espionage missions using an aircraft that could reach altitudes above 70,000 feet, making it invulnerable to Soviet anti-aircraft weapons of the time. The U-2 was equipped with a state-of-the-art camera designed to take high-resolution photos from the edge of the stratosphere over hostile countries, including the Soviet Union. U-2 missions systematically photographed military installations and other important sites.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

That would be pretty cool!

I checked out the wiki page Here

The suit also enables the wearer to travel longer distances horizontally; glide ratios of 2.5:1 are commonplace.

Not enough to cross the ocean unfortunately.

Now what about this guy?
He attached rockets to his suit. Check out his video here-

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Capt Kittenger's record has stood since 1961..It is a bold jump--even with new technology..Capt Kittenger is still alive living in Florida..An amazing individual.
Before he briefly passed out in flight---he looked at his altimeter/speedometer and he was traveling at 660 mph. It is actually 3 world records
Highest skydive, Fastest human without a spaceship or jet, Longest freefall and highest ascent of a manned balloon.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Whatever happened with this project? When I go to the site to check the press release from October I get a error. When I did a google search I came up with a lawsuit being filed, but that just doesn't add up. I mean it doesn't make sense. Anyone have any ideas?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Oh heck, If I knew I could survive it, I think I'd do it myself. I'd probabaly have to go up on and empty stomach and wear a diaper, just in case. I think it would be awesome though. He just has to make sure he doesn't black out before he can pull the parachute at some point.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by packinupngoin
Whatever happened with this project? When I go to the site to check the press release from October I get a error. When I did a google search I came up with a lawsuit being filed, but that just doesn't add up. I mean it doesn't make sense. Anyone have any ideas?

Apparently it has been put off due to legal action against Red Bull. Daniel Hogan, another skydiver, claims to own certain rights to the project and that Red Bull stole his plans.

newslite.tv... - Article about it.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
been done

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Funny how theyre doing this from ROSWELL, NM...
Showing if Project Mogul had some credence, or is HE the cause of the roswell Incident??
Maybe he gets sucked thru some time hiccup and he ends up in Roswell in July 1947....
(just kidding)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

that's really, really cool. i mean, i would never do it, but it's cool that someone is.

by the way, i take issue with this:

and pressure that can boil blood.

that isn't true, not really. the human body pressurizes itself enough to withstand space for a short time, so long as you DON'T hold your breath. if you hold your breath, you'll most likely explosively decompress, but the blood inside your body won't boil.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
It is a really awesome feat. At the same time I have some reservations, because you know they are just trying to weaponise this technology. Being able to deploy soldiers anywhere on earth in minutes is where this is heading

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Cecilofs

...or a way to launch astronauts without a multimillion dollar shuttle to the ISS

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join