It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

T-shirt can stop speeding bullet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
so will this be sold to the public or just used for military because i would not mind one of these

* Tee dipped in third-hardest material
* Can capture bullet, says professor
* Also blocks ultraviolet rays, radiation

www.news.com.au...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by CYRAX

I think the title needs a question mark at the end....

"We expect that the nanowires can capture a bullet," Prof Li said.

What we expect to happen and what actually does happen aren't always the same thing.

Still it's an interesting article!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CYRAX

More testing would need to be done with the shirts.

I would personally like to shoot one a couple times to see if it works.

good find

[edit on 12-4-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
It may catch the bullet, but your body is still going to catch all the truama. Sure the t-shirt my prevent the actul projectile from entering your body, but the blunt force truama of the round will shatter bone, bruise organs and probably end up killing you anyway. Either way, it sounds like this shirt isn't quite ready for the market...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
It can be possible to stop something like a .22 round with a product like this. But to think this will be anything like a bullet west is just silly. There is still a long way to go from stopping a 5,56mm versus stopping a 7,62mm one.
upload.wikimedia.org...

[edit on 4/12/2010 by above]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975
It may catch the bullet, but your body is still going to catch all the truama. Sure the t-shirt my prevent the actul projectile from entering your body, but the blunt force truama of the round will shatter bone, bruise organs and probably end up killing you anyway. Either way, it sounds like this shirt isn't quite ready for the market...

Agreed. I'd like to see a video of this t-shirt taking a .357 mag with a gelatin body of some sort wearing it and see the devastating effects on the gelatin. I wouldn't be surprised to see the bullet go right through.

You may have better luck just wearing a lightweight bullet proof vest... Maybe you can wear this t-shirt under it for a little extra protection, but I don't see this t-shirt changing the world... not any time soon at least.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I don't see how this would stop a bullet. They said the t-shirt got a bit stiff but still soft enough to be worn. If the t-shirt is flexible enough to be worn, I'd imagine a bullet would pull the fabric with it into your body, especially if it's a sharp bullet.

You can still be shot, but hey, at least your t-shirt won't be ruined.

It would probably be more useful against knives / other sharp weapons.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I cannot see this shirt stopping a bullet. Theoretically it may be possible because the fibers within the shirt will slow down the bullet as they move out of the way to allow the bullet Through, but the only way this shirt can stop a bullet is if the bullet is a small enough caliber or lost a portion of it's momentum on the way to the shirt.

If anything a bullet wouldn't be able to tear the fibers of the shirt, which means by pushing and prodding you can make the shirt look good as new after it's been shot full of holes.

Then again you can always coat a bullet in teflon and it gains a heck of a lot of penetrating power. If it doesn't already, after a quick spray it should slip right through these shirts.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Only one way to find out!

2nd line.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I was more curious to how the shirt looks and how stiff it is. If it can stop a bullet I bet it doesn't flex at all and would be pretty difficult to move in.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Sure, but wear the shirt under an approved vest....now you're talking...

Not sure if any of you watch that show on one of the science channels, where the Asian physicist (can never remember his name) explains how sci-fi inventions COULD almost be made using existing tech...but one of them was a super-suit, using nano-fiber material, muscles, etc. Pretty neat, really...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
People appear to be missing the point.... and not understanding how penetration, kinetic force and all that jazz actually work.

Because the fibres are boron carbide, a very hard and tough material, they absorb a very large amount of the kinetic energy that the bullet creates. By 'stealing' this kinetic energy, if you will, the bullet no longer has the energy to penetrate, nor to do great damage via blunt trauma.

On its own, this material has the potential to stop ANY small calibre round, including the 5.56 and the 7.62. Note i say POTENTIAL because, as pointed out both in the post and in the original article - more refining and testing needs to be done to optimise the new materials performance.

I can certainly see a situation where layers of this material, all bonded together to a single sheet/layer - which is then layered ontop of a lightweight STF (Sheer Thickening Fluid) -Type Gel, Such as D30 (www.d3o.com) - could make a ballistic vest far in advance of any soft or hard personal armour currently fielded. With Clever engineering and correct assembly, i see no reason for this to be impenetrable to all currently fielded ammunition, until you get into the larger calibres, which the material may not be able to take unless more layers are added to mitigate the additional kinetic energy.

How 'sharp' the bullet is, as was stated earlier, is pretty much irrelevant. That is not the primary mechanism of penetration. Sheer Kinetic energy is.

Give it time - with refinement i could see this being quite revolutionary.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Also, i should note, the teflon suggestion is a common falacy. Adding Teflon to a round provides NO additional penetration performance.

The only reason to Teflon-Coat a round is for reduced barrel wear.

[edit on 12/4/10 by Quadraphobe]

new topics

top topics

join