It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At what point do you say...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
At what point do you just finally say:
"Screw it all! I'm going to DO what I FEEL!"

Here at ATS, I think it's safe to say that we are all a little bit kokoo in our own way. We might be a little paranoid, a lot paranoid, worry too much, read up on too many conspiracies, have social anxiety, etc (yes, I only say this because I've been all these things).

At what point do you just realize that if you worry in a situation, the only way to subsudize that fear, is to to LET IT OUT.

IE: You see this girl in your class that you have always been interested in, but you have always been too scared to approach her.

So how do you go about conquering that fear?
You could just approach her and say, "I'm sorry, I don't normally come up to pretty girls like this, but I figured I'd give it a shot this time. Could I borrow the notes from last class?"

Now if you go over that line in your head before saying it, you might get nervous because it's so corny...but it's pretty crazy how irrelevant words are.

It's all in the delivery/the emotion...any girl on earth can tell the difference between a staged line, a trying to be funny line, and an actual authentic line.
In that above line the girl is probably interpreting it as, "How cute, he is nervous...sure I'll let him see my notes"

Emotions are the only true universal language. A Mexican can't interpret the dialogue in an episode of 24...but he can interpret the authority that Jack Bauer holds, just by the way he talks to the other characters.

Now what if a person says something that offends you,
You can either bottle it up inside and add it up as another character flaw you have,
you can hold a grudge against the person and not talk to them again, or you can just say:
"F*** off," Again, any person with half a brain can tell the difference between a joking and a serious tone.

I've personally think I had a pretty difficult life for growing up as a middle-class white boy in a small Texas town...(without getting to boring and personal)
I had a family that didn't know I was alive, I weighed 200 pounds in the fifth grade(true story, I was a bubble), the only friend I ever had growing up passed away while I was in high school, I used to sell drugs to some very "questionable" people, among other things I really don't wanna get into...and I look now how different my life is now...

I lost all my weight, packed on enough muscle to win state in powerlifting my SR yr, I've cut all drug use, worked on my ability on making friends, and completely blocked my family out of my life.

And the only reason I was able to do this, like anybody, is because I was able to RELEASE all that emotion. I had a trusted friend who I could tell all my problems too, and whether they understood or not, it was like their ears absorbed all of the negative energy in my body.

Look how humans react to everything in the entertainment world:
No one can deny Leonardio DeCaprio (butchered his name) is a great actor, even though a lot of people hate his pretty boy face.
But he is only a great actor because of how much he understands the characters he plays, and how well he is able to let go of that character...
Any fool can memorize a line and stand in front of a camera.

Stephen King, a very weird dude with who writes some crazy stories.
His stories are so odd, that any "normal" person couldn't relate to most of his books. However, because of the emotion and how well he is able to get his message across, his storytelling ability sort of side-steps how crazy and weird his stories actually are.

Even with today's music, you see stars like Lil' Wayne (God forbid--rap) and Justin Beiber (don't get me started)...
Who are both undeniably talented vocalists, but everyone knows that there is something fake about them.
The rappers and founders of rap like Tupac, Biggie, and even Eminem...are guys, that no matter how much you hate rap, you have to respect their contributions to the genre. They don't speak with words, they relate emotions (listen to the mentioned musicians, you will see what I mean).

In retrospect, the only problem that we have is in our heads. And the problems in our head are pretty irrelevant... until we have to communicate with somebody else. That's why our thoughts are such a safe place, we can worry, be paranoid, and cry all we want...but as long as we know what we want from someone, it's not that hard to just go and get it.

If you are depressed and don't wanna talk to people...let a trusted friend know that. They will help you if they are a true friend. And their helping will, at the very least, rekindle your faith in some of modern humanity.

You see prisoners go crazy when locked up by themselves too long, and it's understandable. What if all you had to absorb your thoughts was yourself? That is a very scary world indeed. But as long as we have other people...we need not worry. It's like we have a different doctor to give us a second opinion, and reinforce our belief in our own self.

So here is my list on satisfying your personality:
1. Identify the problem (whether it be with a person or within yourself)
2. Decide what you want (you could want a relationship with a girl, or just a one night stand)
3. Go for it with the goal in mind (listen to what they say and without thinking about it, just say something)
4. If you fail, don't dwell on it. Just tell someone how bad you failed so you can laugh about it...and have the confidence to try again.

It's just a vicious circle I guess you could say. If you have one good friend, then you have the power to have hundreds of good friends. It's just how you decide to play your cards...Look past the words, and realize that communication is a much more natural and easier than we make it...

The Indians all got along pretty well with each other without ever saying a word. But today if we look at someone for too long, they might jump to assumption that want to fight or have a crush on them

What a stupid and complicated world we live in, right?

Well that concludes my rant, hopefully you guys got something out of this. And if not...well there is always the Conspiracies in Religion board

[edit on 10-4-2010 by Nostradumbass]

[edit on 10-4-2010 by Nostradumbass]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
IMO, when you have food and shelter; or if you are more needy or are taken care of, Maslow's heirarchy, then you say I want to do what I feel.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Nostradumbass

YES! At what point you say it is NOW!

So what if you get knocked back.

Just grab your life right now.

And do everything right now.

Good luck to you.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nostradumbass
At what point do you just finally say:
"Screw it all! I'm going to DO what I FEEL!"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

geez, I feel better now
hey thanks for the tip

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I would only swap your rule 1. with 2.
You have to start out with what you want. Your need to know what direction you want to go.
Don't worry about 4. because that is how you are going to learn the most.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nostradumbass
At what point do you just realize that if you worry in a situation, the only way to subsudize that fear, is to to LET IT OUT.

IE: You see this girl in your class that you have always been interested in, but you have always been too scared to approach her.

I've always attributed that kind of freedom to a sort of lucidity. When you realize you are dreaming, you know nothing is real, don't care about what people think, and you can do whatever the hell you want.

In my experience, lucidity last as long as you don't get pulled into the dream plot, as long as you keep a sense of detachment. I've been able to free myself from crappy jobs in the past by realizing I don't have to go along with this any more, that I had the freedom to do whatever I liked.

One of the few time's I've been able to let myself go like that was when I was hitchhiking across the country and ended up at a bar in a town called Medicine Hat.

I don't usually dance because I feel too self conscious, but there I was surrounded by people I didn't know and would never see again. It was very liberating. Plus the dance floor was packed with women, and there were only about 5 other guys dancing. How could I not get up there and shake it? Needless to say, I had the best time, ended up with a blond who had a tongue stud... Was a good night!

[edit on 11-4-2010 by The Cusp]

[edit on 11-4-2010 by The Cusp]

new topics

top topics

join