It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inventor of the Jet brought to Wright Field in 1947...

page: 1

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I was just researching on the term "lenticular aerodyne" the term used in some of the hotly debated Majestic docs for flying saucer, and I stumbled upon this...

Some excerpts first:

THE EARLIEST KNOWN JET AIRPLANE flew—briefly—almost twenty-nine years before the Luftwaffe’s famous Heinkel He 178. One December morning in 1910 a young inventorpilot named Henri-Marie Coanda was testing a crude turbojet attached to a plywood aircraft, both of his own design, at Issy-les-Moulineaux, a suburb of Paris.

Now, the interesting parts:

Forty-five years later Coanda, by then a respected scientist, was addressing the Wings Club in New York City. He summed up his speech with these words: “In aviation we have allowed ourselves to be hypnotized too long by the principle of the kite. … Since 1909,1 have wanted to go forward in a different direction. … The only future in the air is in the ‘flying saucer.’”

Aviation aficionados may even recognize the name, from the "Coanda Effect"...

The Coandă effect has important applications in various high-lift devices on aircraft, where air moving over the wing can be "bent down" towards the ground using flaps and a jet sheet blowing over the curved surface of the top of the wing. The bending of the flow results in its acceleration and as a result of Bernoulli's principle pressure is decreased; aerodynamic lift is increased. The flow from a high speed jet engine mounted in a pod over the wing produces enhanced lift by dramatically increasing the velocity gradient in the shear flow in the boundary layer. In this velocity gradient particles are blown away from the surface, thus lowering the pressure there. Closely following the work of Coandă on applications of his research, and in particular the work on his "Aerodina Lenticulară," [3] John Frost of Avro Canada also spent considerable time researching the effect, leading to a series of "inside out" hovercraft-like aircraft where the air exited in a ring around the outside of the aircraft and was directed by being "attached" to a flap-like ring.
(wikipedia)

Then there is this:

In 1947 and again in 1951 Coanda was brought to the United States to confer with Air Force scientists at Wright Field near Dayton, Ohio. They were interested in what he was calling his “lenticular aerodyne,” but not enough to put him on the payroll. By mid-1952 others had begun to investigate the possibility of a circular craft utilizing the Coanda effect. The Canadian government started talking saucers with Avro Aircraft Limited, which had initiated a disk design program it called Project Y. Avro was an offshoot of the British firm A. V. Roe and Company, a member of the Hawker Siddeley Group. Coanda himself probably never had any direct dealings with Avro, but his lenticular aerodyne was certainly a primary inspiration.

This seems like just the thing you'd do after finding a downed flying saucer, don't you think?

Anybody recognize the "Avro Car"?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1708f8830e1e.jpg[/atsimg]

Here's a link to the whole article.
www.americanheritage.com...

Douglas, R. G. (1996, Winter). Flying saucers from Canada! Invention & Technology Magazine, 11(3).

[edit on 9-4-2010 by Gazrok]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
thats cool info...i live right next to wright patt ive heard the try all things new out at wright patt and this is where they store the aliens from roswelll but who knows....

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
My only question is, and I heard this before - Did they use Wright Patterson at one time to reverse engineer Alien technology? And then later on started using Area 51?

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Do we have any idea in 47 when he was at the airbase?

Also, I would totally expect an expert like Coanda to show up to give their expertise on several issues I am sure were confusing them.

Good find though for sure.

I like his quote to the Wings Club especially.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Great read, and thank you for the post!

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by -Blackout-

i have no idea but i have seen plenty of ufo's over wright-patt...atleast 6 in the last 2 years!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

My only question is, and I heard this before - Did they use Wright Patterson at one time to reverse engineer Alien technology? And then later on started using Area 51?

Area 51 wasn't in existence at the time. It wasn't until the 50's that this area was developed for the U2 project and other research, and even then, it was mostly just a secure airstrip, with little in the way of facilities.

Wright Patterson on the other hand (Wright Field at the time), was one of the premiere centers for examining foreign technology at the time (1947). If we did recover a saucer, this would definitely be one of the places to take it at the time.

I'd agree, that it's important to nail down WHEN in '47 he was there, as if it was before July, then it's just an incredible coincidence, rather than ominous. The revisit in '51 though, is equally interesting, as it represents another intensification on the UFO front. So far, I haven't been able to determine the month Coanda was visiting the base.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

thats crazy stuff...and one hell of a coincidence
just think roswell was the first the rest of americans heard about a shot down ufo doesnt mean it was the first one though!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
True, but about the only other, earlier account, of a recovered UFO is from 1936, that the Germans recovered one in the Black Forest region.

There isn't much to substantiate it though, and it's a pretty safe assumption that any of the scientists involved later became PaperClip scientists or went with the Soviet Union.

There is some support for a recovery in '42 during the "Battle of LA" incident, but the only support for it (a recovery) is rather questionable documentation. It seems odd to me that a successful recovery in '42 would then have them scrambling in '47 to come up with a plan for Roswell.

I think they learned something in '42, as this is when the stirrings of the government's real interest in UFOs begins, if we believe some documentation...but I doubt they had an actual recovery in '42. Also, we don't have the kind of records for it that we do for Roswell. For example, the flights to Air Materiel Command, and the flights to the Foreign Tech base are well documented.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I think that this is odd

They were interested in what he was calling his “lenticular aerodyne,” but not enough to put him on the payroll.

Two independent thoughts come to mind here.

1. Coanda's theories did not fit what was discovered and so his overall usefulness was limited

or

2. The technology recovered was so far beyond anything we knew at the time, that Coanda was as lost as the scientists actually on the payroll.

I think that the fact that they brought him back tells us that obviously "they" had something to show him. Who knows what...

Great find

Semper

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
If you could trace Alec Reeves to the USA in 1947, then you'd know there was something definitely going down.

BTW, the Avro car was once described as "The world's most expensive lawnmower", which was a pithy comment about its' inability to do anything more than hover a couple of inches from the ground.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Coanda didn't make the Avrocar, it was just inspired by his ideas...

For me, the use of the term "lenticular aerodyne" was what really stood out, as this is the alleged description of the recovered craft....

If you could trace Alec Reeves to the USA in 1947, then you'd know there was something definitely going down.

From all accounts, it seems he stayed in England from 1940 on.... I'm not so sure the U.S. would have been bringing in a Brit to study Roswell wreckage. None of the official or unofficial doc would support this idea...that I am aware of.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by Gazrok]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Going a little further down the Rabbit Hole....

On an alleged doc, dated October 30, 1950, there is further analysis of a craft. The report mentions a consult by Dr Hannes Alfven. So, with a name to investigate, I started looking. From an initial standpoint, it would seem that this gentleman (who won a Nobel Prize in 1970) lived mostly in Sweden. However, when you look much closer, you find he actually spent his adult life alternating between Sweden and California, and 1950 would have been during this back and forth travel period.

If the doc is a hoax, someone certainly did their homework on included names...which then begs...why go through the trouble? (this was pre-internet, so the Hoaxer was doing some real library leg-work, if hoaxed)..... In addition, the text of the document relating to his consult was pretty much his field, and the specific items Alfven was working on.... For me, these little coincidences are far more telling than even the most colorful eyewitness (most of which are by now, deceased, from this particular event)...

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Coanda didn't make the Avrocar, it was just inspired by his ideas...

For me, the use of the term "lenticular aerodyne" was what really stood out, as this is the alleged description of the recovered craft....

From all accounts, it seems he stayed in England from 1940 on.... I'm not so sure the U.S. would have been bringing in a Brit to study Roswell wreckage. None of the official or unofficial doc would support this idea...that I am aware of.

Reeves was, as much as any one person could be, responsible for the modern world. He invented Pulse Code Modulation, the OBOE radar bombing system and was, involved in the absolute leading edge of many technologies as both an inventor and a theorist. It does strike me, if there was one person alive on this planet, in 1947, who would even understand the conceptual thinking needed to explore an extra terrestrial craft. It was Reeves.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
From most accounts, they had Einstein, Oppenheimer, Teller, Vannevar Bush, and many others involved, so I think they had it pretty well in hand, assuming these claims are even a partial listing of those involved....

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by -Blackout-

You got it in one.

See My signature below......nuff said

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
We do know that Wright Field (as it was called in '47) was used to reverse-engineer foreign technology, so if we recovered alien tech, it makes sense it would have been sent here.

As for Area 51, it was pretty much a storage shed and a landing strip at the time, if anything, until the U-2 program necessitated expanding the area. We do know foreign tech was later studied/tested here also, so not a great leap of faith to suggest that if we did recover alien tech, it would have later been sent here rather than staying at Wright Patterson.

The more interesting rumors surround the infamous "Blue Lab" and/or "Hanger 18" stories about biological alien specimens recovered and studied at Wright Patterson. But, there isn't much substantial to go on, to prove such rumors, other than documents which remain questionable.

top topics

join