It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

European Solar Impulse airplane to make debut flight on 7 Apri-Wowl

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b5e152b45f8f.jpg[/atsimg]

Tomorrow, 7 April 2010, the Solar Impulse HB-SIA protoype, the airplane powered by sun energy, will take off for the first time for its long flight from the Swiss town of Payerne. The debut flight is going to last more than an hour. In early December the plane briefly took off for the first time for a controlled 400 metre flight at a 1-metre height above the runway.

Source: english.ruvr.ru...

Nothing other to note from the source, other than what is here. I think it is amzaing they are continuing to work on this. Well, I hope it doesn't crash on the flight.

Edit to change Russia-Was working on another post about Russia at the time-my bad

[edit on 4/6/2010 by anon72]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
Nothing other to note from the source, other than what is here. I think it is amzaing they are continuing to work on this. Well, I hope it doesn't crash on the flight.

No doubt this is a massive investment possibility when its eventually cracked and will work properly..

Fuel prices are still going up and Planes are one of the main sources of Air pollution in the world..

Solar powered or semi solar powered or hydrogen/solar powered planes will definitely be a huge investment in the future.. I can see the EU forcing all EU Airlines to change to this type of technology as soon as its borderline economically viable.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Please do research when posting:

en.wikipedia.org...

What does it have to do with Russia?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Fuel prices are still going up and Planes are one of the main sources of Air pollution in the world..

No, they are not. 2% of all anthropogenic emissions. It's impossible that solar will power air-travel, a Boeing 747 has an average power level of 140 megawatts, on a 15 hour flight that is 2100 megawatt hours, or the same amount of energy as two large nuclear reactors generate in an hour. To get 140 megawatts out of solar panels (assuming same power to solar panel area ratio as solar impulse project) would require 7500 times the area of a Boeing 747 wing and 3500 tons of batteries or 8 times the weight of the 747 itself. EU is likely to require biofuels to power aircraft, because aviation is an area where there is no substitute for jet fuel.

[edit on 6/4/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

I agree, this is more of a technology integration testbed rather than a viable prototype for travel. There is a role for this sort of plane, as a UAV platform and communication relay.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

You are correct Sir. I was working on another post at the time and lost track. My bad and Thank you for picking up on it. S

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz

No, they are not. 2% of all anthropogenic emissions.

Im sorry Pedantic Pants.. But if one tiny transportation thing like Flight takes up a Whopping 2% of all pollutant emissions made by mankind..

Thats called a MAIN SOURCE of pollutant emissions.. ie. 1/50 of all emissions..

DAAAAAAAAAAAA

EU is likely to require biofuels to power aircraft, because aviation is an area where there is no substitute for jet fuel.

And you can see into the future I see..

Ok, I retract my realistic view of the near to medium future and will replace it with your rigid one that decides nothing will change lol

Anyway, Are you really telling me that over the next 50 years, the EU won't have almost phased out Aircraft using current Jet Fuel in favor for cleaner fuels like hydrogen or semi Solar powered if the technology becomes feasible? Don't be daft..

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
It's impossible that solar will power air-travel, a Boeing 747 has an average power level of 140 megawatts

With all due respect, you have a wrong model of air transport in mind, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Indeed, to travel like a 747 requires tons of energy. In applications where speed is not important (like delivery of cargo to remote locations) the power requirements can be dramatically lower. Not sure if it scales well, but imagine a helium filled zeppelin with the kind of solar panels and lightweight structures like are being tested. A solar-powered UAV can also be used for surveillance -- without refueling for months at a time.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Im sorry Pedantic Pants..

Your main problem is that you simply do not have a clue what you are talking about.

But if one tiny transportation thing like Flight takes up a Whopping 2% of all pollutant emissions made by mankind..

Are you trying to be sarcastic?

Road transportation accounts for 10% of all emissions, electricity 25%. Of course 2% (or actually 1.6%) is not 'major'.

And you can see into the future I see..

But of course, that doesn't stop you from making your wild and ridiculous predictions about the future. I presume you have a crystal ball? FYI, I imagine what is likely from a technical standpoint and from also looking at where the industry, and the world is heading. There are already Biofuel mandates for some modes of transportation, think-tanks are already encouraging biofuel mandates for aviation, furthermore jet biofuel blends have already been tested in existing commercial aircraft.

Ok, I retract my realistic view of the near to medium future and will replace it with your rigid one that decides nothing will change lol

Apparently you failed 6th grade mathematics and 1st grade English. A Boeing 747 has an average power level of 140 megawatts, on a 15 hour flight that is 2100 megawatt hours, or the same amount of energy as two large nuclear reactors generate in an hour. To get 140 megawatts out of solar panels (assuming same power to solar panel area ratio as solar impulse project) would require 7500 times the area of a Boeing 747 wing and 3500 tons of batteries or 8 times the weight of the 747 itself. Your plan is not realistic, it's ridiculous and anyone with half a brain can clearly see it. I never said nothing would change, I said biofuels are likely. Efficiency improvements are guaranteed.

Anyway, Are you really telling me that over the next 50 years, the EU won't have almost phased out Aircraft using current Jet Fuel in favor for cleaner fuels like hydrogen or semi Solar powered if the technology becomes feasible? Don't be daft..

If the technology becomes feasible? IT'S NOT FEASIBLE. Solar will NEVER be feasible in aircraft and in case you haven't noticed, we are having extreme difficulty producing hydrogen that is decades away from being solved. That, and the fact it needs cryogenics to be stored. Solving these issues is not a "near-future" or "medium-future" plan. DECADES.

[edit on 7/4/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Whatever..

I hope you enjoyed writing all of that because once you typed this

2% (or actually 1.6%) is not 'major'.
.. I stopped reading..

[edit on 7/4/10 by Dermo]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

I enjoy putting fools in their place. The consensus (and the fact that you didn't reply properly) on chat was that I succeeded.

[edit on 7/4/2010 by C0bzz]

top topics

join