It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Whales Observed Bypassing Evolutionary Steps

page: 1
2

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Not sure if this is in the right place tbh.



Breaching whale observed attempting to bypass amphibian and reptilian evolutionary steps by mimicing bird-like flight behavior. Researchers studying sperm whale behavior have noted increasing attempts by the whales to mimic bird-like flight behavior while breaching. If verified, this behavior would represent the first observations of any species of animal attempting to skip one or more steps More.. in the standard evolutionary progression from swimming creatures, to amphibians, to reptiles, to birds. "What we are seeing is breaching whales flapping their fins wildly, in an obvious attempt to achieve flight", said Prof. Charles Beagle, research team leader with the Fish and Wildlife Service. In one amazing photo (above), a whale was seen contorting its body, clearly forming the shape of a giant hummingbird. "Its fins were flapping so fast, they were a blur", exclaimed Prof. Beagle. Rapid evolutionary changes have been hypothesized for years, the researchers explained, noting the near total absense of transitional forms of life in the fossil record. "This could be mankind's only chance to actually observe a rapid evolutionary transition of one species into another species", explained Beagle. An alternative explanation for the odd behavior was offered by Dr. John Morrison of the National Creation Research Foundation. "Even if these whales are indeed attempting to mimic bird-like behavior, how does that in any way change their DNA so that their offspring will carry that behavior to the next level? Massive genetic defects would have to occur, all combining in positive ways to make the animal more bird-like", explained Dr. Morrison. Prof. Beagle responded to the criticism by noting, "Well, we have birds, don't we? They had to come from someplace, didn't they? And life started in the oceans, didn't it? Case closed"


www.liveleak.com...




posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
This goes along with my post on mutation. This is as I've always expected things to be. Rapid mutation rather than a slow process of evolution.


www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 31-3-2010 by oppaperclip]



posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Makes one wonder what their motivation is...would a whale just all of a sudden fancy flight or is there something they want to escape.

Evolution occurs through necessity. I think they are fed up with the sonar...

My baseless two cents...



posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Free4Ever2
Not sure if this is in the right place tbh.



Breaching whale observed attempting to bypass amphibian and reptilian evolutionary steps by mimicing bird-like flight behavior. Researchers studying sperm whale behavior have noted increasing attempts by the whales to mimic bird-like flight behavior while breaching. If verified, this behavior would represent the first observations of any species of animal attempting to skip one or more steps More.. in the standard evolutionary progression from swimming creatures, to amphibians, to reptiles, to birds. "What we are seeing is breaching whales flapping their fins wildly, in an obvious attempt to achieve flight", said Prof. Charles Beagle, research team leader with the Fish and Wildlife Service. In one amazing photo (above), a whale was seen contorting its body, clearly forming the shape of a giant hummingbird. "Its fins were flapping so fast, they were a blur", exclaimed Prof. Beagle. Rapid evolutionary changes have been hypothesized for years, the researchers explained, noting the near total absense of transitional forms of life in the fossil record. "This could be mankind's only chance to actually observe a rapid evolutionary transition of one species into another species", explained Beagle. An alternative explanation for the odd behavior was offered by Dr. John Morrison of the National Creation Research Foundation. "Even if these whales are indeed attempting to mimic bird-like behavior, how does that in any way change their DNA so that their offspring will carry that behavior to the next level? Massive genetic defects would have to occur, all combining in positive ways to make the animal more bird-like", explained Dr. Morrison. Prof. Beagle responded to the criticism by noting, "Well, we have birds, don't we? They had to come from someplace, didn't they? And life started in the oceans, didn't it? Case closed"


www.liveleak.com...



so...............what's next?
Sperm Birds?
an untapped area of marketing...........

[edit on 31-3-2010 by IandEye]



posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I'm gonna call April Fools on this one, considering the date and how random it seems its worth checking out to be sure.



posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by oppaperclip
This goes along with my post on mutation. This is as I've always expected things to be. Rapid mutation rather than a slow process of evolution.


www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 31-3-2010 by oppaperclip]


It's called Punctuated Equilibrium and it's actually fairly well known and received, at least among anthropologists. it works basically as you've described. For example, australopithicus afarensis "suddenly" began to walk upright. It could have been the slow gradual process currently theorized by many anthropologists(the leakey's in particular) or it could have been a random mutation that allowed particular members ofthe species to increase survivability which in turn allowed them to pass down that gene to their progency. Keep in mind that a gradual evolutionary process and punctuated equlibriam aren't mutually exclusive, they can exist and occur simultaneously. One example would be genetic variances between different areas of the globe. For example, the closer to the equator and the longer that group has been living there, then their bodies have mutated with more or less melatonin such as the difference in skin tone and UV absorption of an equatorial african versus a norwegian. Punctuated Equilibrium also does a lot to explain why there are so few "transitional" species in the fossil record. of course that can also be explained by poor preservation of specimens and the lack of a large pool of specimens from which to draw conclusions. So long story short, I agree with you that at least in some instances rapid mutations occur giving evolutionary advantages to a specific population or segment thereof.



posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by peter vlar
 


Thank you for the input, I have been questioning if I was crazy or not. I'm not an anthropologist just a guy with a few theories that are evidently well traveled.



posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Does this mean one day we will be able to fly whales to work??!?!




posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doyle
I'm gonna call April Fools on this one, considering the date and how random it seems its worth checking out to be sure.


It's a joke, but an old one.

scienceblogs.com...
"Mind you, being a Creationist, he also mocks evolution:"

the "Prof. Charles Beagle" thingie is pretty much a dead giveaway.



posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Unless I am misunderstanding this and am way off base, I have a fundamental problem with this line of thinking. I can expose the flaw I am seeing fairly simply......

If I jump into the air and flap my arms wildly I will not turn into a bird, and neither will my kids, or their kids.


Maybe rather than trying to put a square peg into a round hole, whoever wrote this might chalk this up to behavioral changes and not evolutionary.



Just MY baseless 2 cents.



posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
This is like Sean-Baptiste Lamarck's theory of evolution. He proposed that the more an organism used an organ, limb, etc, the more developed that body part would become. In contrast, if an organism didn't use a body part at all, then it would eventually lose that body part. The aquired traits were then passed on to the organism's offspring.
His theory is therefore saying "If a sperm whale flaps its fins enough, then it will eventually be able to fly."
Although we now know that his theory is false, it would be interesting if the whales did actually learn to fly and proved parts of it true.
I hope this isn't an April Fools joke...If it is I'll be rather disapointed lol.



posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl
 


Anybody who knows a thing about evolution knows evolution is not necessarily a slow, gradual process. Some changes occur rapidly.



posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
So long and thanks for all the fish?

I would be both awed and terrified if wales, or any other species, demonstrated an ability to rapidly morph their physiology and species characteristics to further their own goals. I mean this really is on the level of god-like-creation, no?

Cheers to the awesome thread!



posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Cheers everyone for your input, i just came across it and thought some may find it interesting, just doing my bit
not sure if it is a april fools, pretty crappy april fools though, gotta be more creative than that to get me
xx



new topics

top topics



 
2

log in

join