It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Touchless Computers - Coming to a store near you.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Described as a leap in technology, touchless computers are a very close reality. It is stated that because of SARS and the H1N1 people are suspicious of machines such as ATMs and this new technology could help fix that problem. This technology is supposedly healthier than touchscreen because of this exact issue. "Once the technology gets there...the possibility are endless." Since there are a lot us out there that use computers for a large part of the day I thought this was a great breakthrough. This is said to eliminate mouses, keyboards, and other similar devices. Look how fast we went from trackballs to touchscreen devices, and now to touchless? What do you think? Any possible concerns? Seems like great news for the technology sector.

Here is the link to the new video from Reuters.
New in tech: touchless computers

Here is a link on touchscreen technology and how that advanced like it did.

Touchscreen From Wikipedi

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Interesting, but look at the input lag
give me a keyboard/tablet and mouse any day. Tactile will always feel right to me compared to minority report style setups, if I press a key or button I want to know I really DID press that key or button.

To me these touchless things (and their old touchscreen cousins) are like trying to do brain surgery with 3 inch thick cotton mittens on.. frustrating. Although im sure there will be the techs ardent fans who'll say all of us who refuse to adopt it are just being old fuddies.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

Lol, you can't shun the future

What looks awkward today will be changing your life in a few years.. can't wait for this to go widespread.. It'll be insane technology in 50 years..

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Washing hands comes to mind. Maybe a wet-nap or travel-sized sanitizer?

Everything we touch is gross. Keyboards, books, car handles, steering wheels, wallets, money, other people, our belts, our shoes, door handles, the list goes on and on.

If you're really concerned about contracting something from a popularly used object chances are you already take precautions. Though the "touchless computer" could have that cool factor claiming it's for the sake of sanitation is pretty weak in a world so unsanitary. Think of all the things you'll touch on your way to that touchless ATM and on the way home from that touchless ATM.

Seems a lot like driving a car to the gym so you can run on a treadmill. Only in this case it's stupid in the opposite way however just as stupid.

Not to mention, we all know people are going to be touching the hell out of these things anyway. Just as they grope and touch those "touchless" paper towel dispensers and hand dryers.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I think the concept is a good idea, it is laggy, but it's only a prototype and i reckon it has a lot of potential for other applications in the future.
Reminds of Microsoft Natal but more advanced www.microsoft.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Imagine playing a game like warcraft with 30 keybinds

Not happening I guess lol...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Smell The Roses
Imagine playing a game like warcraft with 30 keybinds

Not happening I guess lol...

Brainwave controlled would be better for that..

Thats also epic tech!

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
While this is very cool it is also very frightening. To be fair it seems all new technology is because we are worried we will be controlled with it. I am confident there will be ways around that control even with touchless computing (or perhaps especially with it).

top topics

join