It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New E7 Police Car - Designed by police for police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

www.carbonmotors.com...

The words "purpose-built" describe everything from fighter planes to military vehicles to postal delivery trucks – but not law enforcement vehicles. While the nation’s other first responders and public servants drive vehicles designed for the job, our 800,000 law enforcement first responders drive lightly modified retail passenger cars that were never designed to handle the rigorous, round-the-clock demands of law enforcement.

www.carbonmotors.com...

This is quite a machine. Fast, lots of ballistic protection, armor for taking hits, lots of weapon racks, and tons of other toys.

It has a very dark feel to it however. Very stormtrooper. It reminds me of the Police cars you see in movies like 5th Element, or Demolition Man.

It came to my attention today that 13,000 have already been ordered in the US. Carbon Motors is working on hiring 1500 or so employees March 30th. Order dates start at 2012, that may be the release year.

Performance Specs:

PERFORMANCE
0 - 60 mph 6.5 seconds
Quarter Mile 14.5 seconds @ 98.0 mph
Top Speed > 150 mph
Braking 60 - 0 mph 125 feet
Lateral Acceleration 0.85 g
Combined City/Hwy Fuel Economy 28 - 30 mpg

Full Gallery
www.carbonmotors.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
What sort of "ballistic protection" can it possibly offer and still get 30MPG?

Found it

NIJ Level III-A (or better) ballistic protection (front doors and dash panel)

The answer is: not much.

It's listed as an "option" too so doubtful the car with the plates is getting 30MPG or doubtful many will spring for the option given we're all poorer than dirt farmers.

Detailed specs

[edit on 30-3-2010 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

National institute of justice says that will stop a .44 mag and below, if im reading it right.
www.closefocusresearch.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Just found this on youtube but its not embeding it right.

Here is the E7 in DC 5 days ago.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Wow all we need now is Judge dreed.

Nice find, It was only a matter of time

Edit to add, I just watched the video of this in DC and this thing looks horrible, But fit for the job i guess

[edit on 30-3-2010 by CodenameDoeB]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyprex

Yeah, you're reading that right. But if they do choose the option of having the plates installed in the front doors there's still the windows and if taking cover behind the door there's the whole space beneath the door.

The plate is enough protection. The area covered is "not much."

But I suppose considering a typical vest is only covering the vitals that having the door covered is equivalent to "vitals only coverage" unless you take one in the head or face. Driving with a helmet on perhaps?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Well keep in mind regular Police response tactics when they get out of their vehicle and respond to a call or contact. Most of the time they're the ones going at a suspect or whoever straight from the front of their vehicle. Most training with their vehicles comprises of deploying with the front of the vehicle pointing in the direction of wherever the target is with the engine block acting as a their biggest line of defense then the front doors provide movement around the vehicle to the back and to the front.
So in respect to regular tactics you see 90% of the time with cops they have most of the armor they'll need at least until those situations which happen on a much slimmer amount of the time.

So improvements to the actual spots on the cars where they need the extra protection is much cheaper than weighing down on the car with 360 degree armor when they only need a certain amount and still keep the speed and mileage ability.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

I understand that. Just in the OP where I read "ballistic protection" I immediately thought of armored cars and couldnt bring that image together with "28-30MPG" in my head.

Knowing it's an option not likely on the tested MPG model and knowing it's only the dash and front door panels it makes more sense.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Our Sheriff ordered one of these. It is being tested by our HEAT/DUI guys first and the company has agreed to take it back if our agency is not happy with it. He wants to try it and from what i am hearing is that we are getting one with the ballistic protection, as the Sheriff wants to see if this or our Chargers are better on gas vs the added protection. In our sheriff's mind the cost in more fuel outweighs the ballistic protection when it comes to the tax payers.

All I know is, the car is apparently wider and much more roomy in the passenger compartment and makes a 12 hour shift a hell of a lot more comfortable while wearing out batman belt and carrying all our crap. Lets wait and see.....

P.S....rumor is we paid $34,000 for it...but none of us know for sure.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
That is the first cop car in a long time that I have seen which says 'to protect and serve' on it.

Bet the final version wont have it.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
It almost makes me wish I'd become a cop.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975
Our Sheriff ordered one of these. It is being tested by our HEAT/DUI guys first and the company has agreed to take it back if our agency is not happy with it. He wants to try it and from what i am hearing is that we are getting one with the ballistic protection, as the Sheriff wants to see if this or our Chargers are better on gas vs the added protection. In our sheriff's mind the cost in more fuel outweighs the ballistic protection when it comes to the tax payers.

All I know is, the car is apparently wider and much more roomy in the passenger compartment and makes a 12 hour shift a hell of a lot more comfortable while wearing out batman belt and carrying all our crap. Lets wait and see.....

P.S....rumor is we paid $34,000 for it...but none of us know for sure.

Im sure he will love the peformance compaired to the charger, if your Chargers have the V6. The E7 comes with a BMW Turbo Diesel, and has about the same 0-60/top speed as the V8 Charger. As well as better Lateral Acceleration. The Charger gets 0.79, and the E7 gets 0.85.
0.85 is seriously great handling. Sorry, not trying to sell it, I just love cars

[edit on 3/31/10 by Cyprex]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Thanks for the thread, this is sooo awesome, cant wait till they make these.

keep us updated on it

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Odd thing . . . at least to me . . . there are counties, municipalities, cities and towns looking at laying off police personnel due to the lack of funds, yet they've got the dough to go after these things?

Kinda makes me wonder who will really benefit from these vehicles . . . . and who's palms are getting greased along the way.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

True, but remember, all police cars are retired at some point, 100-250k miles I would guess. All including this one, all (crown vic, charger with police package) cost around 30-35k. So, since they need to buy them any way, why would you not get the super one.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Found a good video of it with the lights tutrned on.

Front view
www.youtube.com...

Rear view
www.youtube.com...

Embeding is adding a \ at the end of the URL

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoalPoster
Odd thing . . . at least to me . . . there are counties, municipalities, cities and towns looking at laying off police personnel due to the lack of funds, yet they've got the dough to go after these things?

Kinda makes me wonder who will really benefit from these vehicles . . . . and who's palms are getting greased along the way.

maybe this has something to do with the layoffs.
To afford the cars..

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Cars are a normal expense any way. Its possible they just substituted it. If you're going tobuy something anyway it may as well be good. I cant imagine thats 34,000 either. Maybe production price! And not with extras.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyprex
Im sure he will love the peformance compaired to the charger, if your Chargers have the V6. The E7 comes with a BMW Turbo Diesel, and has about the same 0-60/top speed as the V8 Charger. As well as better Lateral Acceleration. The Charger gets 0.79, and the E7 gets 0.85.
0.85 is seriously great handling. Sorry, not trying to sell it, I just love cars

[edit on 3/31/10 by Cyprex]

All of our chargers have V8 Hemi's. They are fast. We had a few chases that ended up on Georgia 400, 85, and 75 and we were in the high 140's with room to spare. Problem with the chargers is the suspension is NOT made like a sports car. The car does still want to roll out of turns because its a tad top heavy or sits to high. Oh and chargers SUCK when you PIT someone. They were not build like the Ford Crown Vics...when you make contact with another vehicle you can pretty much bet your charger will be in the shop for a few days, where the Crown Vic simply needed a buff job or at most a dent puller.

I wonder how this thing will hold up if we use it for PIT? I would guess they will have a wrap around front bumper...or maybe not.

Also, the $34,000 price tag is, IMO, for just one car. When the Sheriff decides to buy more they will drop the price dramatically. Example....the Crown Vics Interceptor package per car is $31,000...BUT we bough 45 of them last year and in our budget breakdown the cars only cost $15,000 a peice. Buying in bulk shows you how much you get ripped off when buying just one or two...

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
well now, I'm going to have to put one of these honeys on my christmas list. bullet proof huh~!

where is the harpon for whaling...? or the cable cutter, when they go to decapitate a speeding police man... hummm.. seems to be still vulnerable... I'll wait for the Speed Racer version.

new topics

top topics

join