It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists create thousands of Mini Big Bangs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Not sure where to put this, or if it's been posted yet. I did look but didn't see.
Scientists create thousands of mini big bangs at Cern.

"GENEVA, March 30 (Reuters) - Physicists smashed sub-atomic particles into each other with record energy on Tuesday, creating thousands of mini-Big Bangs like the primeval explosion that gave birth to the universe 13.7 billion years ago."

www.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Makes you wonder what the cost was 'per bang'. Lest then you have the idea of what was on gods invoice for creation.

Wayne...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Yeah saw this on Teletext just now. Interesting, then again just what is a big bang really?... I mean they fired highly charge streams of particles at each other, logically youd think they'd result in some sort of 'pop' naturally

If they call them big bangs since they match what they think the start of the universe was like then i guess they where lots of big bangs. Still not to sure what they're actually gonna find out with this experiment 'yes, we rubbed these two sticks together see real firm like and fast and we made fire'. Hardly surprising

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by aboxoftrix

how do they know they made mini big bangs? what if they just made some little explosions that end in a little puff of smoke?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Yay now we can start making mini planets

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
imagine in that microsecond how many planets evolved, grew life, great civilizations, galactic civilizations, billions of years of growth and evolution, transending their own mortality, and finally the end of the universe fizzled out over many more billions upon billions of years...

all taking a microsecond from start to end.

ALAS, WE ARE GODS!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA

time to find some cool robes...and perhaps a stick

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
How do they know they created big bangs, when I reality they don’t even know what the big bang essentially is.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
So what?

My semi automatic rifle lets off lots of big bangs as well and i dont see ppl creating a thread on it.

if only i owned a rifle....

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
multi mini big bangs ought to yield multi expanding mini universes ... that might be worrisome.

obviously tongue-in-cheek, but i suppose the idea is that they're so small they vaporize or whatever in a flash. plus, i guess, despite being able to create the mini-big bang, there isn't all that much energy there to support observations of the infinitesimal moments following a mini big-bang. gosh, i yearn for the mass market availability of do-it-yourself universe kits.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zeta Reticuli
So what?

My semi automatic rifle lets off lots of big bangs as well and i dont see ppl creating a thread on it.

if only i owned a rifle....

2/10s of a second away from literally creating a thread entitled "Zeta Reticuli Spawns Numerous Big Bangs!" Sweet stars and flags! But I figured I'd get banned or something.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Alas, things are never as cool as headlines make them out to be.

If we ever do create alternate universes, I say we tax them. Use the taxes to help pay for obamacare

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
How do they know they created big bangs, when I reality they don’t even know what the big bang essentially is.

Thanks for being skeptical of this claim.

I share your skepticism.

Also I note the title of the article says:

4-Mini-Big Bangs created in cosmos origins project

And the text below it says:

creating thousands of mini-Big Bangs

Well which is it, 4, or thousands? Or more likely neither?

Mini black holes I'd believe, but mini big bangs?

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
It's pretty cool that we can do all this and still learn about the begging of the universe. Makes me glad to live in this time period and have an opportunity to learn about the universe.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Indeed, it's really great to be around to see science pushed to this level. Hopefully the uneventful (in terms of catastrophic outcomes) performance of these collisions has alleviated the anxiety that was stirred up beforehand. My only requirement to justify the expense and labour involved is that some new knowledge is gained that can be put to some practical use

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
They created conditions at the sub-atomic level which mirror what was going on sub-atomically at the instant just after creation, this is what they mean. They can study what conditions where like at the time of the big bang this way.

They aren't creating new universes, though that may actually be possible in a lab some day (and not very far off). However, creating a new universe in the lab has no effect on us because those new universes would expand into their own space-time. Imagine it like buds or spores leaving a parent or host creature to live their own lives. These new universes would be the children of this universe, budding off into their own region of the multiverse. A new universe won't displace our own, it will be...elsewhere.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Everything hinges on the so called "Hawking Radiation" If it is real, life will go on. If not, look for some very weird weather events, earthquakes, strange glowing light from the oceans and upper atmosphere just before the earth is condensed into a sphere the size of a major city with no life at all on it.

The damage is already done if the micro black holes were created, and they are already feeding on quarks, and will do so for about four months before the end comes. Once they can begin eating matter, the end will come quickly. Actually, not so, because the closer you are to the event horizon the slower time goes, so it might take a long time to be stretched into atomic spaghetti and disassembled and eaten. several seconds could take several years or months of screaming agony.

But, on the other hand, if God exists (and He does), then the world will go on until he allows it to pass away. It will disappear because Jesus said it will in Mark 13, and Revelation also says that it will too and will not be found. If Bible prophecy holds true, we still have at least 1,000 years before that happens.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Fromabove]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The article in the OP does say "4" and then "millions" of collisions. I am assuming it means that the "millions" is a referance to a large number of individual particle collisions during 4 runs (though I could easily be wrong here)..

The headline says mini-big bangs" but in the content of the article we learn that it is recreating conditions just after the big bang.

The possibility that a new universe could be created is interesting - scientists here
cnet

are already working on it (and I thought that I read that they think they may have already achieved it once already but I cant find a reference to that)

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
A big cluster banging?

Those physicists are more twisted than i realized.

What's next?

Particle sacrifices?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Mini Big Bangs. lol
I understand what is meant by that, but my first thought was just how oxymoronic it sounded.

top topics

join