It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quip app security hole shares private photos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Quip app security hole shares private photos

www.news.com.au

* iPhone app had serious security hole
* Thousands of intimate photos leaked
* More: Technology news and reviews

THOUSANDS of intimate photos sent between iPhone users have been made public after an embarrassing security flaw.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
IMPORTANT Alert: All iPhone Users

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

Yesterday I provided raw information about this on ATS board and I was met by scorn and ridicule, not only that my thread was moved to SkunkWorks. No one wanted to believe possibly because it was not reported in their "beloved" MSM so now here it is. Let this be the message to disbelievers who don't believe raw information and instead depend on MSM for real conspiracies.

I requested deletion of my thread yesterday after it was moved to SkunkWork due to disgust but then I remade it and here it is IMPORTANT Alert: All iPhone Users. How will ATS be known as biggest Conspiracy board when real information is treated like this?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-3-2010 by December_Rain]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I read your OP (that got shifted around) and was just waiting for it to break on the news.
Sad that you got scorned.

Thank you for the info, and I am glad I don't use the app.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
THOUSANDS of intimate photos sent between iPhone users have been made public after an embarrassing security flaw.

The news article have not revealed the truth now as well as it's not thousands but over 6 million pictures.

These few screen shots were passed anonymously depicting how image is stored, the blacked out portion was nude and against ATS T&C and all identity have been blacked out to maintain the privacy of iPhone user.

Now if you click a image in above screen this (below) is how it shows with user name, code and which application it was send from along with the message.

Few more examples

So please be extremely careful using such applications and iPhones and avoid sending any material which may later embarrass or harm you.

Now the conspiracy is here, were these users aware all this data was being stored? For what purpose is this data being stored for? Is it being shared with government or product companies? What else can be the motive? I really don't know but I hope you will be careful in future in whatever steps you take.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
doesent surprise me one bite .people are people just because there here doesent change that.
o and btw I love this story thank you soooo much .I hear these MAC LOVERS aloways saying how great it is so muchhhh better then windows can never get vires or scurity problems .
now me i just aloways say then tell me why mac needs antivires lolol.
so much for mity mac

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
thank you love this story I get so tired of MAC lovers telling me how great they are sooo much better then windows why this could never happen with MITY mac.
man if i can figer out how the flage thing works ill give u the first flag i ever did and i been here 5 or 6 years lol

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
This is win for ATS, it was reported on ATS board before anywhere else with raw data. I hope more people open their mind and treat real information with positive skepticism not with ridicule and scorn.

This is how real conspiracies take place in world, people dont just believe it unless it makes news headline. ATS motto deny ignorance is printed on header of every page, its not only design but real words which do mean something.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
What I find interesting is how MSM article is downplaying the issue of storing data and instead targeting the application. Shouldn't someone ask why was all this data being stored? What was this data being used for? Who all had access to this data?

IMO the only reason someone to target this was to show people how their data was being stored so people can ask questions.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Awesome catch man S&F

I don't expect people to be suprised by this, if a phone company can lift every text you've sent at the request of police then of course they can lift all sorts of other data that's been sent, they own the software and the contract to how you can use it.

All I can say is I'm sure as hell glad I don't have an Iphone, I bet so many people are kicking themselves so hard for just being cheap and not just sending a bloody picture message

[edit on 30-3-2010 by ItsallCrazy]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
This is win for ATS, it was reported on ATS board before anywhere else with raw data. I hope more people open their mind and treat real information with positive skepticism not with ridicule and scorn.

This is how real conspiracies take place in world, people dont just believe it unless it makes news headline. ATS motto deny ignorance is printed on header of every page, its not only design but real words which do mean something.

DR, as an experienced veteran of ATS (and a very productive one at that), I'm surprised you are frustrated...I don't think it was that anyone needed a "real" MSM story to back it up. If memory serves me right your other thread(s) didn't have any source links. You know how it is here, and that's why it was moved to skunkland...

The topic is very concerning though, imagine what "evidence" Big Bro has already collected against us by saving texts & pics...scary stuff.

Keep up the good work!

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Thanx for your input but you must realise at times it is not possible to provide links and sources always and specially when it's from underbelly of internet. These things hardly make news and I was surprised it did and so fast as the breach occurred at approx. 6:44 pm USA time yesterday (as was told to me) just few hours before I made the thread yesterday.

And yes I agree it's worrying what all Govt/ Companies etc. are collecting and storing. Some companies like Google are number one in this and their browser Google Chrome is a dangerous. It records everything you do there and actively scans and reads every web page you access.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
So why was there a clamshell phone posted in your original 'evidence' about this?

Seems someone has been stitching up some competition.

-m0r

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This "security hole" is from a third-party application. It's a problem for A) users who have that application installed, use it, send racy or somehow inappropriate photos/information and are concerned about it and B) nobody else.

I'm in the B camp. Though I am concerned to a tiny degree with security issues, in general, the rule of thumb is not to send/receive information that would destroy your life if retrieved by somebody. Each person determines what they're willing to risk and each person determines whether they somehow would be a target

Doesn't excuse the developer of this software, nor software in general, but I think people worry too much that people want to see naked pictures of them or read their silly text messages. Of course if there are no risque pics or messages, there's no concern needed.

BTW, this particular issue is not an issue with the iPhone as was originally inferred. And Apple still doesn't make a flip iPhone! And smart people can read and see and use the Internet to find out these mysteries in all of about 4.5 seconds.

[edit on 3/30/2010 by Hadrian]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
doesent surprise me one bite .people are people just because there here doesent change that.
o and btw I love this story thank you soooo much .I hear these MAC LOVERS aloways saying how great it is so muchhhh better then windows can never get vires or scurity problems .
now me i just aloways say then tell me why mac needs antivires lolol.
so much for mity mac

This has NOTHING to do with the security of a MAC, and EVERYTHING to do with the stupidity of people. Just you implying that the Mac OS has anything to do with this shows how little you know about what this really is about.

Holy crap...Learn 2 spell

..Ex

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hadrian
This "security hole" is from a third-party application. It's a problem for A) users who have that application installed, use it, send racy or somehow inappropriate photos/information and are concerned about it and B) nobody else.

The application was even promoted on Apple website in iTunes section a cached version of the webpage shows that here 74.125.153.132...:KHMqGDw4620J:itunes.apple.com/us/app/quip-free-photo-texting/id291358190%3Fmt%3D8+apple+iphone+quip+text&cd= 1&hl=en&ct=clnk (Just quote and copy the web address)

BTW, this particular issue is not an issue with the iPhone as was originally inferred. And Apple still doesn't make a flip iPhone! And smart people can read and see and use the Internet to find out these mysteries in all of about 4.5 seconds.

The article mentions iPhone app had serious security hole the evidence provided showed the picture in which it is said "sent with xxxxx application for iPhone". Apple promoting the application on their website are equally responsible for it.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by December_Rain]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain

Actually, this was in other alternative forums yesterday, without the censoring marks. Was just as funny then as it is today, but this certainly would not be considered "raw" data.

..Ex

top topics

join