It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there more to music and sound........

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Hi guys,
now ill start this with music is my passion....The one thing i find in life to be perfect in everyway.

We all know a party can be rockin', one second then the next absolutely dead. From my experiences, this is usually because of the music.

There are many weird and wonderful qualities of sound. E.g. Sound at the right pitch can bore holes through solid objects.

Basically this thread is just to see if there is anyone else out there that beleives there is something mysetrious, something more to music and sound than just the noises we hear....

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Music has the ability to penetrate a persons minds and alter their emotions. I know this because I used to listen to all sorts of rap music. I would walk down my school hall listening to Big L. I walked in all happy, my mood changed as a certain song came on. It made me want to punch someone dead on in the face.

Songs may alter emotions differently with every person. I would assume this is because of our experiences, certain words would trigger certain feelings.

I am no expert though, that is just how I feel personally.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OLDMATE

yeah try this out:

www.viewzone.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
When I am tired or down I'll put on some fast punk music to getting me moving. If I should be feeling sadder about a tragedy, I'll put on some sad music just so my friends don't think I am being cold hearted about a situation.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
When I listen to music while I am falling asleep I notice that whenever my Pandora stream buffers that it seems to physically jolt me. I believe music touches a different part of us.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by drew hempel

nice man...

Everyone should be checkin out this link. This is the exact thing im talking about, music cannot be descibed by the components of the sound......it is an individual journey.

When i listen to music, it is in two different ways. 1) As entertainment, i.e. whilst studying, or excercising. and 2) when we truely listen to what the composer is trying to show you....and there are as many interpretations of that as there are people in this world.

Just wondering if anyone else has been on a "trip" when completely sober just from listening to music.....if so could it be that it is effecting a part of our brain similar to the ones effected by '___' and other psycho-active drugs????

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Sound holds everything together, everything you are looking at right now is held together by a frequency.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by menguard

hmm thats true, nuclear strong and weak forces have a frequency just like everything else.....something iv never even considered before now.

If matter is energy, and energy is light, which is also a wave, COULD this mean that everything is made up of different frequencies (essentially music)......????

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by OLDMATE

Some gangsta beats from the streets can have an impact to peoples lives from as early as childhood. It is used to toughen up kids from the cold hard realities of the hood and give them street smarts since most kids don't have the option of being an astronaut in the ghetto so sometimes you have to aim lower, much lower to achieve your goals. From the ghetto to the grave, music will always be an inspiration to peoples actions.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Music is the Universal Language...Heard by all, and understood by most...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

Very true. Music has been around since the dawn of time. From birds chirping to a ryhme to busting ryhmes to some gangsta a$$ hip hop(not the new BS). Over time though music is losing its touch with reality and is becoming more mediocre.:shk:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
The whole universe is based on harmony. look at the geometry of nature. To back this up, look at this link;

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

Sad, but true.....

I think its because people dont listen to music or lyrics anymore...they listen to things like bass, that they'll be able to play real loud in their sh*itbox cars.

Real musicians aren't getting recognition for talent, while young hotties that can dance and squeal get major record deals.....all for about 2 months, if that.

But this thread is about more than that....

I believe there is a very real aspect of sound that effects everyone and everything.

BTW the youtube link by bargoos is NUTS! whatever is on there is going mental!

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

So true!!! I don't know how many times I have been walking along with my iPod listening to old school zepplin or something and something heavy comes on next your entire way of thinking can change in an instant from mellow doing your own thing to, i want someone to start a fight with me....

This in my opinion is proof that sound is more than just vibrating air.....it is a force to be reckoned with.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
NeoN HaZe - Quantum Funk Chronicles

Originally posted by OLDMATE
Basically this thread is just to see if there is anyone else out there that beleives there is something mysetrious, something more to music and sound than just the noises we hear....

Hi there OLDMATE,

I'm a musician and I can tell you that sound has some very interesting properties.

When I write music, it comes to me or rather through me; I feel that I am a conduit through which the music travels through to arrive at my instruments.

I believe that music creation can alter an individuals perception of reality, and if you are a quantum consciousness subscriber this literally means to alter reality.

BTW if you want to listen to my music you can here.... (click on music then click on the cd then play.)

NeoN HaZe - Quantum Funk Chronicles

STEMS is my most favourite track from the project thus far... Why not let me know what you think?

(note to mods and ATS staff... This stuff is prior copywritted and though linked through here ATS reserves no rights to this material)

All the best,

Korg.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

Stems is an awesome track man, do you play all the instruments?

Im a musician too brother, i know what your talking about the music not coming from you. Real music is played when listening, not knowing what to play...

Its like 2 in the morning here i need sleep!!!
ill check on the thread tomorrow though

Peace

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by OLDMATE
reply to post by Korg Trinity

Stems is an awesome track man, do you play all the instruments?

Im a musician too brother, i know what your talking about the music not coming from you. Real music is played when listening, not knowing what to play...

Its like 2 in the morning here i need sleep!!!
ill check on the thread tomorrow though

Peace

Yep, I wrote this in my home studio. Every single note is played by me.

And I 100% agree with the listening comment. Though there are alot of people who can play not many can really go with the flow and create.

Sleep well,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
i believe music affects us more than just triggering memories from words or musical phrases. I forget the name of the effect but there are certain chords that make us want to hear the next resolved chord. It comes from the dissonance created. Not that exciting in itself but it shows that a chord on it's own can have a different effect on us from another.

Also most people associate minor chords with sad feelings and major chords as happy. There are also chords that are uncomfortable to listen to, like complex 9ths or 13ths for example.

The indian scale system sounds quite different to the western version, it is purer (harmonically) and can make music very soothing to listen to. I believe harps use this way of tuning.

Then there is the effect of anechoic chambers. I don't know if it's a myth but they apparently can make you feel pretty ill because there are not refections at all, a completely flat sound.

Binaural beats have shown that certain frequencies can do drastic things to our minds.

You may want to check out the thread on here about ancient temples and the acoustic properties they have. It seems they were on to something way deeper with sound than we are aware of.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by Frakkerface]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frakkerface

The indian scale system sounds quite different to the western version, it is purer (harmonically) and can make music very soothing to listen to. I believe harps use this way of tuning.

I tend to use a variety of scales but Asian scales do create a kind of cosmic mystical feel. You should check out the tracks in the link above to hear this.

Then there is the effect of anechoic chambers. I don't know if it's a myth but they apparently can make you feel pretty ill because there are not reflections at all, a completely flat sound.

In fact my home studio has sound dampening panels on the all floors ceilings and walls. This gives the dampening effect and actually it can make people feel a little odd, but is necessary not only stop the neighbours shouting at me but also so I can record a clean sound when using acoustic instruments or vocals.

though to be fair 90% of my instruments require a lead so 90% of the sound dampening is for the neighbours benefit ;p

All the best,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity

Originally posted by Frakkerface

I tend to use a variety of scales but Asian scales do create a kind of cosmic mystical feel. You should check out the tracks in the link above to hear this.

sorry Korg, I can't check the tunes at the moment but I was referring to tuning rather than scale (sorry, i should've written the correct word). Equal temperment i believe it is called. I tune my sitar that way and it sounds so beautiful when it's just right, makes even normal western major scale sound incredible.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join