It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are " famous peoples " opinion worth more than regular peoples ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Every time I see a celebrity on the news , MTV or any other media outlet voicing there opinion to an ah struck talking head I can't help but wonder why an actor , more times then not , seems to be given special recognition as there opinion is presented to a ah struck and eager to please talking head .

Do others notice this trend ? Does anyone think that an actor or an athlete has a better handle on opinions ?

Why do many people view there opinion as " important " ?

[edit on 29-3-2010 by Max_TO]

[edit on 29-3-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
People view everyone's opinion more than they view their own. Good ol' herd mentality.

But if what they say rhymes true with your heart, then what's the harm?

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

We are taught that people in the spotlight are larger than life so their opinion is worth more than our own.
Not all of us agree with that mindset however.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Actors are very influential....Reagen for president ....Schwarznegger for govenor...and politcal parties use them for thier campaigns. but they are no different then us...they put their pants on the same way we do. to top it off we indirectly put them in the spotlight so they can spout their political views

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
Does anyone think that an actor or an athlete has a better handle on opinions ?

No, unless the question was specifically about acting, or sport.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
It has to do with association. It is marketing really, nothing more.

You will stop and pay attention to someone you recognize selling a product than if it were random stranger. The same exists with your question, the group placing the question out there knows you will pay more attention if a recognized individual is responding than someone you dont know.

Even if you dont like the person, you will pay attention to someone you recognize. its Marketing.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

It's deeply wired in human nature to assign respect and importance to people with traits we want to associate/be associated with.

Hence people perceived as cool or good looking always will find some sort of an audience, regardless of the quality of the message.

That said, kudos to the "stars" that are smart or kind enough to use their fame to help out or create awareness among the sheeples that look up to them.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Yes agreed , it does have " sell value " .

Also a good example of how gullible the main stream media sees us all ?

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
A lot of famous people are famous for corporate money-making or diversion reasons alone, not because they are especially bright or talented.

But the people that are famous because they worked hard at something, seemed to have figured out something about the world that most other people have not, and have been exposed to things and experienced things most people have not. For that reason their wisdom can be particularly insightful.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
we think that since these people had the mental capabilities to get to their position in life, they must have superior thought processes resulting in superior opinions.

The question is not the worth of their opinions, but of the reason for their fame.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
That is what is wrong with America. We focus on celebrities as gods. They can do whatever they want and get away with anything. Shows like ET that go into celebrities lifes just annoy the crap out of me. They are just people, that is it!! They get paid millions of bucks to do what......act and play sports. They donate 100,000 bucks to charity every once and while but that's just a tax write off. Oprah does it all the time by giving away cars and other BS on her show.
What about the real heroes??? Teachers should make that kind of money for developing our future minds. (and no I'm not a teacher LOL) These people get paid a crap load to do nothing while we work our tails off for some pocket change to them. They earn more for a commercial or a movie than some people make in their whole lives....

Sorry if I am raging I just hate the whole Celeb superhero status

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Because they are more willing to become pawns in the MSM attempts to publicize propaganda in light of the exposure they receive in return that often benefits their careers .

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Agreed 100 % I feel much the same as you on this one .

But let us not forget the love of ones own voice that many of these famous people have .

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
You have leaders and you have followers. Successful leaders tend to get big egos easily, and think their opinion really does matter. Followers tend to look to successful people for leadership.

In my opinion, the public school system should focus allot more on teaching children to develop their own opinion

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I dont listen to Hollywood. They only say what they are told to say or what will make them more famous. I dont trust celebs, they are like politicians and the govt they only want money and more fame.

I know people who live by what celebs and Hollywood types say and it's very disturbing that her life revolves around what these celebs say and do...

Not all are like this but the majority are.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Same reason people run out and buy the clothes famous people peddle.

So and so was wearing the coolest jeans last night. Theyre $300 a pair but I have to have them. And while wearing those jeans So and so said the government taking my property from me was a good thing and taking my gun from me was a good thing and bombing a bunch of brown people on the other side of the planet was a good thing so woo-hoo yes, we can!!

Of course we'll ignore that So and so got those jeans for free, doesnt have to surrender his property held outside of the US to the government, can afford to live above the socialized plateau of "good enough" and has armed bodyguards 24/7.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Several "reasons" not that I buy into them personally but I do "work" within them and it's just the "way it is":

Product Placement: has evolved in percentages that are unbelieveable over the past 10 years due to accessability on TV,Tech-devices,phones...easier to "see". Every time someone notices a product in say a movie,sales soar.

Branding: again,the evolving state of marketing ie,the person or item IS "the brand" and people are in place via PR,reps,and media-management to promote and thusly profit from their exposure.Companies pay BIG money to those who "sell" via wearing say a pair of jeans that bring them a ton of sales.

Social Media: the MOST influential marketing,branding,and product placement "tool" around these days...think of the numbers of people in all demographics and all age groups that can and DO access the vast resources of data and info,game of numbers overall.

I truly believe that these 3 factors are "why" say a celebrity (subjective title IMO) is taken more "seriously" and has more clout than others...it's the way biz is done these days and we all DO buy into one way or another

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The reason their opinions are respected is because people see them everyday on the tube. They have learned to trust their faces as friendly and as the good guys. Nothing more.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
As a matter of fact aa simular kind of question past my mind today.

I was watching The F Word and Gary Halliwell was a guest in the program. At a certain point Gordon Ramsay asked her about her activities and she said she was going to stop with singing and will concentrate on writing childrens books.....just like Madonna.

Why will people buy their books....because they are famous and popular people or because it is good stuff? I am afraid it is because they are famous people.

These people milk their celeb status and try to make as much money possible from their 'fans'. And why not use the stupidity or craving from their fans? You also see 'stars' sell their 'own' parfume or fashion line. It the same with an actor who will switch to art. Only 'fans' will listen to them and take their words serious

Ofcourse there are exceptions but overall you can say that they make use of their status and the media and politics make use of this fact too so they have something to sell or to convince.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

The only celebrities worth listening to are comedians. Kind of sad to think it takes a fool to tell it as it really is.

new topics

top topics

join