It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Special relationship between UK and US is over, MPs say

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Special relationship between UK and US is over, MPs say

news.bbc.co.uk

The UK government needs to be "less deferential" towards the US and more willing to say no to Washington, a group of MPs have said.

The Commons Foreign Affairs committee also said it was wrong to speak of "the special relationship" with the US, as it was fostering other alliances.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
This news reminds me of the recent fuss about the Falklands:

Fears were raised last night that the U.S. could betray Britain over the future of the Falkland Islands after a senior American official called them by their Spanish name.

Here on ATS, Brits were really flabbergasted about the this apparent betrayal, it actually surprised me.

The fact that Britain and other countries like my own, are behaving like little puppet regimes to please the American master, is their responsibility and their responsibility only. Although I do understand the British indignation about the American stance regarding the Falklands, the lap dog behavior of our politicians can never be a guarantee for the US to act similarly.

40 It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world; so far, I mean, as we are now at liberty to do it; for let me not be understood as capable of patronizing infidelity to existing engagements. I hold the maxim no less applicable to public than to private affairs, that honesty is always the best policy. I repeat it, therefore, let those engagements be observed in their genuine sense. But, in my opinion, it is unnecessary and would be unwise to extend them. ~George Washington

It is remarkable though, that America seems to let down Britain, which I consider America's closest and most reliable ally, so easily while congress repeatedly confirms the 'unbreakable' U.S.-Israel bond' -, which on the contrarily to Britain, greatly exploits its alliance with the US.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-3-2010 by Mdv2]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Never did fall for the "special relationship" party line Mdv2,
The game was up so to speak along time ago. I could get my head around it if there was big investment heading our way (UK) IE ships being built in the shipyards or major military contracts for our aerospace industry. But it never surfaced I think that was the angle Tony Blair was aiming for (Fair play to him for that). When we hopped into bed with the USA fighting in the middle east, So it looks to me we our own to pull ourselves outa this situation,

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Well , the British People and American People do have one thing in common nowadays , Opressive Goverments . Long Live Nationalism I say , it's what makes us all Unique . I also have no problem with England changing it's stance on bowing down to the U.S. Goverments bully tactics when it comes to geo politics . Bravo !

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

About time too as far as the stupid corrupt governments.

I think that Brits and Americans alike need to peacfully take back control of our countrys.

Peace

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Americans know about Lord Rothschild of London and how he ordered our economic collapse.

So...as far as we're concerned, we don't need the Brits ANYMORE than we still need Israel!!!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Well said Zanti The NWO is progressing without a hitch IMO the TPTB have been smoke screening with war and global warming (deflection)
And we have all walked up the garden path smelling the coffee so to speak....

Appolz for heavy writtin, Mr Bushmills is a very persuasive sorta guy LOL

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by biochemky

But we need yous guys BioC for the regeneration of Belfast

through the tourist industry,I love when it when your liners pull into the docks and we meet in the "town" and talk about the Titanic And i explain about the the swapped ships and generally have a ball

Your all more than welcome to visit and the first round is on Me

[edit on 28-3-2010 by foxhoundone]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Personaly I have a large American family (am part Cherokee) and although I do feel we (the people) of both countries have a close relationship which I would hope will continue.. I would rather like to see the British Gov pull further away from the US, rather than be caught up in these games.

As for the Falklands:
I think some here really need to look behind the scenes for what is really going on.

Barclays appointed by Argentina to sort out their debt swap.
(A bank that has it's fingers in Falklands oil)
Argentine Human rights lawyers start criminal proceedings agains the Argy gov over that issue
US congress then makes noises they will pass over info of human right Abuses
*note this is the information that the Argy lawyers have been seeking for years*

The US *HAS* and *IS* intrinsically involved in the mess, just not on the front page of the MSM, it is there tho if you look for it.

I also understand that around this time China dumps some of the US bonds that the UK picked up (?at a cheaper rate than the china brought them at?)

The US coporate military complex has developed a lot of the next gen US/UK nukes in Britian without congress or NPT treaty over sight..

There is a major game going on between the US and UK, which allows each gov to use the others space to avoid congress or parliment oversight.

There appear to me many games we are not privy to, look behind the scenes a little and the game of manipulation, collution and spin between the US and UK starts to become apparent.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Seems like more of America's allies are becoming lesser and lesser of friends. I wonder where this will go?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
It's arguable there never really was a "special relationship."

Reading about the Anglo-American alliance during the Second World War, it amazes me how we even managed to work things out at all.

Admiral King and others really disliked the British and I think by the end Roosevelt was fed up with Churchill. Anyway by that time it was clear who the senior partner was. The United States was pulling the strings.

Then again after getting involved in Afghanistan and Iraq (for what reason, I have no idea) it can seem somewhat insulting that the United States seems to "betray" us over the Falklands issue. Although I think the word betrayal is a bit harsh.

It just seems the alliance is very one sided and America seems to use up any ally then just toss them aside. When they want our help again, I'm sure they'll come crawling back, in which case we should kindly tell them where to go.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
'Special relationship between UK and US is over, MPs say'

hurray!!!
Now will the Australian government now grow a pair please too !

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
There's never been a 'special relationship'. What there has been is a series of clauses and 'obligations' built into various war debts that's given the appearance of a 'relationship'.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I think that the special relationship died when that dog Thatcher got booked out of number 10. Her and Reagan were the last chord in the special relationship. Both our countries are now in decline globally and perhaps we have other priorities.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by foxhoundone
Never did fall for the "special relationship" party line Mdv2,
The game was up so to speak along time ago. I could get my head around it if there was big investment heading our way (UK) IE ships being built in the shipyards or major military contracts for our aerospace industry. But it never surfaced

Consider how many American brands and names you see above the door in the high streets of any decent sized town or city. There seems to be a lot of trade but, like everything else, it only appears to be going one way.

It's weird how so many people in Britain talk about and baulk over the lack of British and specifically English identity and how foreign cultures are changing the way we live, shop and think and yet, in my opinion, the biggest threat of this type has come from America, not the Middle-East or the Indian sub-continent.

I think that was the angle Tony Blair was aiming for (Fair play to him for that). When we hopped into bed with the USA fighting in the middle east, So it looks to me we our own to pull ourselves outa this situation,

I doubt very much that Blair was thinking of anything other than himself, his law-witch wife and his kids.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
The USA or Europe?
Give me The USA anytime.
We have more in common than which divides.

However, our loyal and steadfast friends Canada, Australia and New Zealand are those that truly deserve a special friendship.
The British population will never forget that they have always stood by us through thick and thin and have gained our most heartfelt admiration and gratitude.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I think the people of the UK and USA will always have a common bond and always have a special relationship.

As for the governments... I would rather the UK government distance themselves from the power hungry and war crazy US government.

I also agree with Freeborn about the other countries and about the US being more preferable allies than Europe.

Although I love all of the nations equally

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Time to dust down a few old memorials to remind the common man what its all about

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by asIam

Seconded !

When Barry-O visits in June, I'm going to need to have an airline barf bag handy when I watch him address the joint sitting of parliament convened in his honor

Edit - changed emoticon from barf to puke

[edit on 28/3/2010 by Retrovertigo]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
As others say I think mostly the US and UK people will always have a close friendship (although there have been a few squabbles between ATS members lately).

I do feel the US is taking an odd direction with Obama at the helm which seems to be bringing the worst out in the people of the USA (basically, they are not happy - which is dangerous: Is that a deliberate action by Obama?). I can’t comment enough as I don’t know enough about it.

I love the US - my grandad is American and I am grateful for what he (and so many others) done in the war.

My worry is the politicians will cause a rift, the media will jump on the band-wagon and the ‘sheep’ will then follow.

Odd times ahead.... Time to dig out Band of Brothers and watch it again!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join