It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will this be the warfare of the future?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

The robot drone I can accept but not the cloaking device. I think cloaking technology will be difficult to be made portable in foreseeable future. Besides it'll probably too expensive even for just one commando, let alone a squad of them. I gotta say though, that backpack/shoulder-mounted rocket/grenade launcher sure is very handy.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

No it's the future of the Ghost Recon franchise

Looks like it could be a cool video game though

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pockets

No it's the future of the Ghost Recon franchise

Looks like it could be a cool video game though

I know it's a cool video game. But we're talking about the technology here.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Anything is possible.....I don't see why not. They most likely already have this technology hidden somewhere.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

If they have the cloaking device already, they're way ahead of the mainstream technology. I don't know any other way to cloak a human except to literaly bend light. The science and technology is simply stunning by today standard as far as I know.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Well for my personal opinion, is that certain militaries around the world have really advance technologies they would not release to the public, until a major world war happens. But that might just be wishful thinking.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Cloaking technology was already used on tanks when we invaded Iraq. Haven't heard anything about whether we have special forces using the tech or not. for a lot of reasons, a tank is easier to cloak than a person.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

I heard about the tank. Not sure that it was tested in Iraq though. It's definitely British tank not US and it doesn't use light bending technology. Although they're planning to research just that.

MoD tests technology to turn tanks 'invisible'

Prof Pendry explained: "It doesn't use a video camera, rather the object to be hidden is wrapped in a cloak that guides light around it, like a chicane.

"Of course your eye doesn't know that because it only senses the direction of the rays that enter the eye.

"As a result the object becomes invisible."

The theory behind the method, that uses materials that refract light in ways not found in nature, has already been proven.

"Researchers at Duke University in the US have already built a material that works for radar," he said.

"But doing it with visible light will take a lot longer."

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I think this technology is the equivalent of stabbing someone in the back.

It is a shame we live in a reality where stabbing someone in the back isn't a bad thing Where moral has lowered so low it is even funded and promoted.

This post is written with grieve and sorrow for the present and the future.

[edit on 27-3-2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Yeah its possible if you look at the history of warfare and how advanced we have come to from thousands of years ago. Technology has advanced quicker in few centuries and now it is advancing and revolutionizing in few decades or even years depending on what is being R&D.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I think this could very well be the future of warfare. Drones are already used on ground to support troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. The shoulder launched grenades are plausible. The HUD used in the helmets are under development and some are in trial testing. The cloaking ability is a little farther off, but consists of a special suit with very tiny micro cameras that capture images from the front of the person, and display those images on micro TV screens on the back side. Same goes for the sides, therefore making the person "invisible", but even damaging on camera or receptor could give away your position, and the cloaking would be used for blending into backgrounds far away from enemies, or as a modern day "gillie suit"

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

backpack/shoulder-mounted rocket/grenade launcher is great and simple to fabricate, it is still a risk of burning yourself, or just falling down from the launch though.

I thought about something similar myself, but why carry the rocket on your back when you can leave it at a safe point and use lasers to guide it to the target as done in the video.

I actually think that wars will become a RTS or at least I hope so, when you run out of army you lose. Drones will replace planes/tanks etc. commanders will play RTS games and soldiers will play some strange first person shooter from the base. No real combat between people.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by randel

I thought about something similar myself, but why carry the rocket on your back when you can leave it at a safe point and use lasers to guide it to the target as done in the video.

If a special force platoon is expecting a heavy resistance, it's definitely better if everyone carries their own grenade/rocket launcher.

I actually think that wars will become a RTS or at least I hope so, when you run out of army you lose. Drones will replace planes/tanks etc. commanders will play RTS games and soldiers will play some strange first person shooter from the base. No real combat between people.

I hope so too.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I do think Infantryman using cloaking tech is in the future.

Optical camouflage is a kind of active camouflage in which one wears a fabric which has an image of the scene directly behind the wearer projected onto it, so that the wearer appears invisible. The concept exists for now only in theory and in proof-of-concept prototypes, although many experts consider it technically feasible.

Wikipedia

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
there is another topic here on ats about the camo aspect of your thread here is the link:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

the second post in that thread(not my thread or embed btw) has a embedded video of what people are saying is a suit in action.

in no way am i trying to derail this thread but i thought some people might want to see that video.

~meathead

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike Stivic

If I recall correctly there's an older thread regarding that video. Don't know what's the conclusion though.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Ok, first of all this game will be awesome, like all Clancy games.

Allot of this tech is real, remember they will have things just now that we might not get to know about for 10 or 20 years. Clocking technology is in existence

www.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I wonder how many kids decide that they want to be a soldier when they grow up, due to games like this romanticising and glamorising warfare. I mean... it almost makes me want to set off for Helmand!

It's strange. Before mass media and war reporting, for example, at the start of The Great War, being a soldier was a dream of most kids who wanted action in far off lands. It seems so heroic and exotic. Post WWII and especially from the start of Vietnam, people started to see what war really was about and there was a complete about face. The sons of the generation who thought romantically about the infantry now protested it and made peace signs.

I wonder if, because of games like this and Modern Warfare, there will be another shift in the thoughts of this or the next generation about joining the army.

If we got to play with toys like that... well, just point me to my nearet recruitment station!

This this thought to be proof that the allies forces (or at least USA and UK) are already using some kind of invisibility clothing. Check the guy who jump on the tank/van thing and then rewind and see where he comes from...
www.youtube.com...

Very interesting but I kind of think it is more likely camera defects of some kind.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by triplesod]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Earthquake causers are one secret weapon of the past the US govt use. Afghanistan had a massive quake, then Iran, but Iraq never cause it would disrupt oil production. Pakistan had a massive quake when US govt was forcing Pakistan govt to do wot they ask of them, and the Asian tsunami occurred as an after effect shortly after some of these genocidal behaviours with earth and humanity.
Humans seem to be good at destroying stuff, time will come when its their time to be destroyed, like how all the ancient prophecies predict an end of the world scenario for how our world is and a new era of love and peace to begin. Expect (a minimum) of two thirds of humanity to disappear into the past just before 2050, the remaining will struggle through but will become enlightened telepathic sentient beings.
Awful souls, awful behaviours and awful actions don't have a future on this planet, its been war every decade for the past 5000 years, time is running short and humanity is on borrowed time. Earth is going to shake everywhere at the same time cause earth has had enough of humanity, and before some says, Earth intelligent! are you crazy? We can make intelligent keys, intelligent remotes, intelligent whatever we want, well some people can connect with the intelligence of earth and some cant, doesnt mean it doesnt exist.
violence, war and genocide is going to disappear, and all who are that way.

[edit on 4-7-2010 by thegreatestone]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
How real is this? Putting on my reality hat, here is my take;

cloaking tech This is still a long ways off. As far as we know, this only exists in R&D labs right now and they can only bend Infra red light right now, not the visible spectrum. I am assuming these the camera's to make the person invisible and not the meta-material method. This would be cool if they can make a soldier (nearly) invisible, but think about all the tech needed make it work. The huge battery pack, the mini computer needed to process everything, the ventilation need for the computer etc. It would easier to cloak a tank or a jet, not an individual solder.

Combat Drones - These exist, but they are not practical in a real serious warfare scenario. All the drones the US uses right now are for bomb disposal, recon and intelligence gathering for the foot soldier. If there were any good combat drones, they would be more useful in low combat situations where the robot can patrol unsafe areas like in Iraq and Afghanistan on a pre-defined battlefield that would already be mapped out and defined. Combat drones are also not autonomous and that big, and you wouldn't want them to be either.

Guns - The sniper rifle exists and looks fine. However, the Ghosts were using big clunky guns with alot of gear either built in to the bottom or attached. This is not practical, especially for a spec ops unit where they would most likely prefer a standard weapon with their own customizations. Replaying the video, I would wonder how they fit their fingers in to the slot.

shoulder rockets - This is pure fantasy. The Iron man style rockets that launch from the shoulders and destroy the tank will never happen. It takes a missile or hundreds of rockets to destroy a tank, both of which need to be way bigger than in the video. 3 puny little things launched from the suit wont scratch a tank in real life, not to mention the possibility of burning of deafening the soldier. Plus, a futuristic tank would be harder to kill and I would assume they would have the proper countermeasure against suck an attack.

HUD - These exist and some are in use already. Only difference would be is that in real life, these wouldn't have a cool interface and the circling transparent blue lines. In reality, this would eat alot of precious processing power and battery life that would rather be saved. Also doubt the HUD would be able to recognize faces from a distance. Its hard enough for the computer to recognize a face standing right in front of a camera, let alone from a moving target off in the distance.

The suits - They look cool, but thats about it. They are bulky and they would only slow down the soldier if it wasn't an exoskeleton. If I was a soldier, I would rather value speed over the bulkiness of a huge suit which would make it hard to move in closed spaces, slow you down and find suitable cover. The standard bullet proof vest would be more practical.

I love Sci-fi and video games and this would look like a totally awesome game. However, there are some things that are never realistic and thats why they are always enjoyed on the TV.

[edit on 4-7-2010 by Axeom]

new topics

top topics

join