It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I know what's wrong here.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I see and have seen everyone looking to somebody else for help. A tornado hit my trailer park, where is the government aid, Katrina hit my town, where is my government aid? An earthquake hit my town, where is my government aid?
There was a time in the not so distant past, when you had to take on a little responsibility and fix things your flucking self.

Here is a news flash for you. There will never be a bailout for the middle class. Ever. The government is only interested in perpetuating more government. If you want help, try helping others first. Then when the time comes, you will already have people who know you helped them and they will return the favor when needed. It's what used to make the world go around before we replaced good old hard work, with whining.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Nice point! It's called karma, what-goes-around-comes-around, etc.

I think there is a major lack of personal responsibility in this nation. It's always someone elses fault, someone needs to be blamed, etc. We would not need the welfare state if people took care of themselves first, helped family and friends in need second, and their local neighborhood third. The government handout should be a last (and necessary) resort.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I hate to say it but doesn't this thread just blame people for their lack of taking responsibility?

but seriously, when did people start relying on the government to fix everything? what happened to at least trying to make it in America?

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Ok. yeah. how people will just continue paying the govement billions in taxes.

while they cut the police service.
Fire service.
ambulance service.
Coast guard.

you can all just help your selves. the goverment doesn't owe the people anything.

"My house is burning down! with my five kids trapped inside!"
"help yourself!"

oh and fyi. when nature strikes people DO help eachother. people will letstrangers sleep in their houses.people will come together wil food, and cook up for everyone..

what is the point of this thread? people give a lot. they should expect the basic help from the goverment.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by MR BOB]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The point I'm making is thet the help from the fed should be a last resort.

Check my post, government assistance is necessary, but should be a last resort, not the first.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by indianajoe77

exactly.

reply to post by tracer7

I didn't think about it like that, but you are correct.

reply to post by MR BOB

Mr. bob, in the olden days, way back about 30 years ago, things were much simpler. And for some unknown reason, people weren't the crybabies they are today. Should the government try to help whenever possible? Most certainly they should. It is supposed to be why they are there. Not just for a place where people who could never hack it in the real world would have a place to collect a check on Friday. But never should we or anybody else expect it. There is not enough community anywhere. that is what we lost. We are so wrapped up in trying to get stuff, that we don't do the important things anymore. Like helping someone out when they need it. Your example of a house burning down is perfect. the neighbors should be trying to hose the house down and risk life if nessesary to attempt to save anyone inside. Then, after the firefighters leave and the news has taken their last video of blood and guts to sell to the 6:00pm crowd, the whole community should be donating goods and time and money to the family to be sure they are taken care of.

THAT IS THE POINT OF THIS THREAD.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
dp. SORRY

[edit on 26-3-2010 by network dude]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Ok...

and how is this thread going to change the way your neighborhood is.

thats the problem here isn't it. YOUR neighboorhood.
How people dont help each other out where YOU live, where people are ignorant and selfish where YOU live.

you cant really speak for the country/world.

Alot of people Do live in places where people are so friendly and so helpfull it makes you sick.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I know what you mean.Where I grew up the last thing anyone wanted to do is ask the government for help or depend on them for assistance.

They felt to do so was a sign of failure as a human being.

It is not that they were afraid of it or feared it,but that well people talked.

You couldn't go into one of these places without seeing someone you knew who worked there or was there for some reason.

I have seen a tornado devastate a farm house of a family.

As soon as daylight came,trucks showed up,people appeared, and slowly and quietly the debris was cleared away and the families possessions were recovered from where they had fallen.

Clothing was taken home and repaired,cleaned and eventually returned to the family,plus some extras were added to them.

Within days the whole area was cleaned,tree had been cut and the wood stacked in neat rows.

This is what a community was when I grew up.The problem is today there is no community.

"Born here Americans" want to move somewhere else."Came here to live in America"for some reason do nothing more than recreate their failed societies on U.S. soil and isolate themselves from other cultures.

No one comes here anymore to be an American.This is why our society is destined to fail.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Good Post OP.

I believe, and this is just my belief, that some of us members are starting (or already do) to see what one of the core problems plaguing HUMANITY is: personal responsibility for themselves. This is a major trait that strikes at the core of humanity. It seperates the men and women from the boys and girls. I was always reminded of what my mother used to say. "If the world focused on trying to fix their own problems instead of the next man's, the world would be better off." How right she was. Good Post.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

I bet the view is great from up there. Well, my neighborhood is just fine. But most are not. That is the problem here. But I will take personal responsibility on this and say that there are times when I acted like what I am comlaining about. Nobody knew it, I just stayed home and didn't get involved. That needs to change. This post will not change anything in our world. But the act of writing it further engrains it in my head that I need to walk the walk. And hopefully, a few others will remember this when their chance to help comes.

The two posters above this have it right. Community and personal responsibilty. Keys to succses IMHO.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

It on old thing to happen. of people doing nothing when someone needs help.

they know they could do something, but do absolutly nothing.

People have died in the middle of the street when surrounded by houses. occupied by people, who were aware of what was happening.

Alot of poeople often have the mentality. "thats awful! someone else will help them./call emergency services" the problem is that most people think this, and wont bother to call 911/999/912/9999 as they think that it would have been done.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
It's difficult to compare today's world with that of 30 years ago.

30 years ago, you could expect to work for a company for years, eventually retire, and still be able to support yourself.

30 years ago, you could be reasonably confident that just hard work would be enough to secure your future.

30 years ago, if you worked for a company for 10 years, you usually weren't too worried about that job disappearing.

One of the basic problems today, vs. 30 years ago, is that companies see people only as resources, and bean counters don't factor in all of the intangible assets a company loses when getting rid of personnel, which they only see as an expense, when really, people are a company's most important assets....

That said, I think the majority of people really do want to make it on their own (I know that the couple of times I've had to do unemployment, my goal was to get OFF of it, not continue on it)... In the case of disasters though, folks should rely on having insurance, vs. government assistance, but hard to rebuild your house, when the business you worked at is also toast...(not much reason to do so)...but moving is always an option. Personally, I don't think I'd stick out a "let's rebuild" phase... I like eating.

top topics

join