It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To all those UFO hunters out there

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
This is very cool, a fellow Brit has taken some way cool video and pictures from space (well almost) of the earth using a home made setup.

Images of the Earth from the edge of space have been captured by a helium balloon which can travel more than 20 miles above sea level. Robert Harrison, of Highburton, West Yorkshire, developed the device after trying to find a way of taking aerial pictures of his home. The images are taken by a camera in a box. It is attached to the balloon, with a parachute and tracking device. The balloon eventually bursts, returns to ground and is traced by Mr Harrison. Mr Harrison, 38, said the balloon-mounted camera project had cost about £500. "It is basically an insulated box that contains a camera and a tracking device," he said. "The box is launched with a parachute and a balloon, and off it goes into the atmosphere. "The camera records pictures of the earth from about 35km."

BBC News
His flickr

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
That is so awesome!
If anyone else wants to do this, they better hurry up before the government takes over and taxes the air!

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I saw a video of this a while back and it's really impressive

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Wow, that's an incredible idea and I can't believe it works so well. I'd like to see the entire video the whole way up and back down.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Hmmmm, this type of thing would be most useful to scenery designers of flight simulator photo scenery.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
That is sweet! maybe some rich ufo hunters cant put together a fleet of these and find the truth ! well pictures of it anyway. good find

edit to add... he needs to find some way to stabilize and control the cameras, then its golden!

[edit on 27-3-2010 by paradiselost333]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Couple of things missing.
Stabalisers and control

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Its very creative, Nice work that man. Stabilisers and control might be hard that far away. What kind of signal strength would you need for remote control? And what force, mini jetpacks?
Nice photos!

[edit on 27-3-2010 by wayaboveitall]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by theukbloke

I just saw this story on the news. Great thread!

Amazing photos and incredible story. Now NASA is paying attention to Robert Harrison.
Do they have some kind of a tunnel vision there at NASA?

Joe Kittinger did something like this half a century ago except he was attached to the camera. What balls to float over the planet and then "jump" from there!

NASA is a go-to organization, a cover group for some black op project managed by aliens themselves so we won't get all the truth? Of course, I don't believe that myself but some people say that because of the date it opened or something I can't remember exactly.

But how about that Joe!!!????

[edit on 29-3-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Actually to stabilize it, it wouldn't take that much technology: a lego NXT computer with an accelerometer, a counter weight, bluetooth GPS, and a controlled rig for guidance of the payload back to earth - all doable with $500 worth of lego kit. Honestly, check out what has been done with the lego NXT kit, UAVs, homing robots, sedgways, the list goes on.

new topics

top topics

join