It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modifications to your current car

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
alright found a few favorites/good memories and pics-shouldnt have problems now (^%$#%^!!)

here's the bike i "luv" so mush

the '57 I raced at SSS and YellowBelly with the tilt f.g front

the '71 when just picked it up, before taking to all (flat) black, new wheels/tires, minor resto..notice the chrome tips on conv. hardtop towards back (barely visible)?-don't see these tops much and thought the tips was a very cool detail and functional when leaning up against a wall, had this and drove near daily when heard "the voice"

never got a finished pic but this is close enough

the '64 SR when I was a kid during construction

same but in midnight metallic blue when @ 13/14 and before the Hurricane true knock offs w/tri-spinners, appears motor may have been out both pics.. the house window in background is the one i had looked out when seen the angel/cherub?

edit on 29-4-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

yeah I grew up doing this stuff and have always dabbled in it in someway since, usually for extra dough/fun hobby

here is the recent '72 Bronco @ half way through, getting the power steering functional was a real nightmare, but went totally through this, including glassing tanks, drivetrain, packing/oils, undercoating, before someone "had to have it"

again terrible about taking pictures in general and no havy a closer to completed one but this was somewhat close to the goal without cutting rear 1/4s-a rarity in itself

noticed you said push bar for yours suppose thats similar to like the "bull bar" had wanted to put on this

edit on 29-4-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

I myself have always seemed to have the need for speed. It was not until I got married and got my evo that I have been really able to get a good fix for that need.

The "fastest" thing I have had before that I cannot even put in a class as being fast. For what it was I guess it was okay, but now that I have had the evo I have trouble placing as many cars as I used to in the fast category.

I would love to see some pics of these rides especially the Jeep and the TSX. The bike would look cool but being that I am not much of a bike person it would look about like any other bike to me, but others might enjoy seeing it more than myself. I do not see how people can go fast on a bike with nothing around them to at least take some damage before their bodies do if something goes wrong

I have had the evo well into the triple digits; it is so exhilarating feeling the power that pushes you into the seats. It is as if someone is grabbing your shoulders and yanking you back.

Raist

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

Man I have to say I am a bit jealous of all the fun you have had. You have had some very nice projects going. I could have done more as a kid, but my relationship with my father was very bad when I was young do to his love of alcohol. He worked on cars a lot though; I just stayed away from him.

I would love to have been in a few of the cars you posted. My need for speed would most likely have hurt me in something like that when I was younger though

The push/brush bar design I like the most I might have to have someone make for me. I want it on my beater Subie that looks exactly like the one I posted a page or so back. The one I like was on another Subie. This is what I want.

Raist

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

When I saw where you said raced at Yello-Belly I started laughing.. I first ran on that strip when I was 16 on a very tweaked Bridgestone 175cc motorcycle in 1966.. The last times I was there was in a 1965 Chevy SWB pickup with a mildly built 396 Powerglide and 10 1/2-30"x15" cheater slicks in 1973... That was the wildest place in the Dallas area in the 70s and very few of my friends would go near the place.. The cops wouldn't even come down off of the road but either stay up there and watch or slowly cruise by.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

the more complex ones like that can get pretty pricey, probably not many made for it either, so yeah custom makes sense, when looked at for Bronco- anywhere from $700-2000!!.. as for dads' i can relate though he's never done anything AT ALL
ever apparently except for the story of leaving the front bumper off a '55 he drove while stationed in England (AF)
- we have definately had some extreme ups and downs and yes hp certainly gets the blood pumping-would'nt believe all crazy stuff I've pulled seemed like I hoed weeds every weekend there for a while doing community service on tickets

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by hypervigilant

yeah thats the place and the proper spelling for it too dangit
(not you), imagine the wear and tear on the strip since? (mid 90s for me) appeared no one had ever maintained, like a little on the cracked and bumpey watch the huge pothole sudden death wish side
and no doubt about more of the quick to violence bettin kind of crowd ..probably the 2nd fastest was a '72 SS396(B&B+) Chevelle, 3.73, 4speed, gold with black stripes all factory high hp near mint, hopefully can find a pic, though the '64 is up in the top as well, been past the 160mph marker once or twice

heres pic I lost in previous post, a favorite from mid 80s, always big on trucks even preferring Truck Series to Indy when watching live which is pretty much the only time

noitice anything turquoisey and Nomadish

another replacement pic, '32 under construction

edit on 1-5-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

i know what you mean not only did the '64 SR have a 327 but a friend of mine had a green 327 impala also and was one of the fastest cars around..on another note there was this twin turbo+++ all wheel drive Eclipse @ Arlington in mid 90s that I feel confident in saying was one of the fastest cars in the world, never seen anything like it- felt weird like an alien experience

a two for one-'63 SW which had either a (non-factory) 427 or 454 (icr) and notice the orbs?

edit on 1-5-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

You should look up the AMS evo 8. While not the fastest car in the world last I heard it was at 1130 AWHP. Yeah I car just like mine that can do a 8 second 1/4 at 171 mph or so.

I am also a member on the evolutionm forum and some people have some monster street cars. I am talking 600+ AWHP cars being daily driven. I could never drive something like that daily. I would not have a license or worse

Personally I am shooting for no more than 350 AWHP. If I happen to get a little more that is fine. I would settle for anywhere from 300-350 at the wheels. That is more than enough for me. I feel it is really well balanced up to the 400 AWHP area and anything beyond is overkill for normal use. The AWD will already give an advantage from a dig and even in different environments compared to only 2 wheel drive.

After having the evo and the beater subie I do not want anything other than AWD for a car. I do have to admit though it would be cool to burn the rear tires and drift a bit. I cannot do that in my AWD

Raist

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
thats probably in the range of what that Eclipse had and amazingly barely a scratch on the launch, I'll never forget it..I prefer the 300 to 400hp also, a very comfortable balanced everyday range in most any type vehicle I agree

foreign cars remind me of my friend and neighbor from Salisbury(?) Britian who is a race fanatic as well and has put somewhere in the range of 60k-100k (heard the Eclipse similar also) in an Audi Quattro (a very cool car) which began@ (guessing from memory) 450hp and last I heard was pushing @800+, had even been listed including pics in some Audi Magazine while covering the race he had driven to California to enter IN IT by himself and won like 6 out of 8 competitions with no corporate sponsership!- I was impressed, though it did'nt stop him from drooling over the Formula/Trans Am he got to watch a custom redo from a really rough start to the wet sand orange peel/buff, though sounding like a dragster and vibrating the neighborhood windows at idle probably helped
-think lost the only few pics I had of that one last computer
edit on 2-5-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I currently have a 1994 Acura Integra that is the B18 1.8L non V-tec engine. The most modification i have done is remove the power steering and A/C belts as it frees up horses on the crank. I had a modest 8-10 HP boost from doing so, not much, and probably not worth getting rid of the power steering, but i have gotten used to it
. Aside from that, my other mod i did was put in a cold air intake and put a K&N filter on it. Oh my god was the difference astounding! All my other friends who have Honda Civics, Del Sols or even some CRX's CANNOT keep up with me whatsoever since i put the cold air on there coupled with the K&N. Some of my friends even have V-tec in their cars and i still dust them once i start to top out 3rd gear (100~ MPH) and i still have all of 4th to just pull away from them. I would suggest a good Cold Air and catback muffler on your WRX. Maybe get a bigger turbo for it too.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
reply to post by nh_ee

I myself have always seemed to have the need for speed. It was not until I got married and got my evo that I have been really able to get a good fix for that need.

The "fastest" thing I have had before that I cannot even put in a class as being fast. For what it was I guess it was okay, but now that I have had the evo I have trouble placing as many cars as I used to in the fast category.

I would love to see some pics of these rides especially the Jeep and the TSX. The bike would look cool but being that I am not much of a bike person it would look about like any other bike to me, but others might enjoy seeing it more than myself. I do not see how people can go fast on a bike with nothing around them to at least take some damage before their bodies do if something goes wrong

I have had the evo well into the triple digits; it is so exhilarating feeling the power that pushes you into the seats. It is as if someone is grabbing your shoulders and yanking you back.

Raist

I will have to post pictures of my stable here soon...currently the Jeep is in the Garage on Jackstands where I am running new brake lines and rebuilding her rear brakes!

I like the EVO alot, and have always preferred their engines going back to the Starion Turbos over the Boxer engines used in the Subarus. Not a big fan of spoilers though....on street machines that is.

Unfortunately, I have a need for speed. That EVO would likely having me working off speeding tickets to save my license performing community service on my weekends !!!

I like the "so called" Beater as well and would look at modding it as a Rally Racer type of horsepower and suspension mods,keeping it simple.

Like the hood scoop for example. Why not punch it out and pull that air directly into the engine, as a natural cold air intake ? It would help it breath that much better providing better throttle response and better mileage. Comb the junkyard for wrecks and the necessary parts could be bolted onto the inside of the hood and likely to your Subaru's intake manifold.

As for pics, .I'll upload them soon. Since this is a car thread, I'll leave it to the JEEP and the TSX.

In all honesty, there's not too much to see with the TSX....for the only external item i've added to my TSX is a very small M3 style lip spoiler on the rear trunk lid. I am not into Flash but moreso the look of peoples look when I pull away from them in my otherwise stock looking car !!

Unfortunately the bikes are addictive....
I actually got my first sense of speed from riding horses as a youngster at age 6..
I think that this is why I have always had an affinity for motorcycles because you are a rider and not a passenger.

A rider in that you not only use controls but also you use your own body to control the vehicle.

Riding a lighter weight vehicle does provide you much more of a sensation of G forces than those experienced in a car. For example you can feel the acceleration and braking forces as well as the onset of understeer or oversteer as it occurs...helping your reactions. Also because your braking is controlled independently, there are things you can do that cannot be performed in a car. It is a really lesson in driving.

And naturally you always gear up. Never rode my horses without the correct gear on, and I also never ride my motorcycle without my full face Helmet, armored racing jacket, leather chaps/pants.....and boots.
It's not my riding I am remotely concerned about...it's the other guy that doesn't see me from his cage !!

And most of all, I just don't live my life in Fear.

Because regardless, something IS eventually going to get you.

Here's what my TSX sounds like with the homemade intake mods....this is a Koni Challenge Race winning TSX at Laguna Seca...

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

I just love that Vette Man....love it.I love the shaved look of that one with the clean front end.
That has to be one of the best looking automobiles ever made. The 63-67 Corvette Stingray.
As I'd said, after riding in my Uncle's 62 Fuelie I will never forget that sound....

Those 327's also sounded great....more of a bellow than the small block Fords.
I used to work at the local sports car track here in NH corner flagging. Always loved the Sound of the Vettes....they always used to trounce the Porsche 911's though the Porsche would catch them in the twisties, the Vette would always pull away down the back straight away for the win.

I really like the Classic Bronco too...I hope to keep my 98 Cherokee for the years to come....

Thanks for posting those photos.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

I can understand the feeling of the control on a bike. Still though the thought of high speeds on one makes me nervous

Also I understand that a wreck at high speeds even in a car could be tragic, heck even a low speed crash can in the right circumstances, still though the feeling of having "armor" around me makes me feel a bit more at ease.

As for the "wing" (that is what the evo community calls them), I actually like that look as long as it is the stock wing that is. Some prefer the look with out and remove them either going with a lip or nothing at all. Even the RS came without a wing. Of course it also came with manual locks and windows as well as a few other things missing. The RS was the lighter version of the evos though in the slalom run it actually got beaten by both the MR and GSR version by a few hundredths of a second or so.

I have thought about doing some light modifications to the "beater" just to get it the ability to get better mpg. The AWD is what hurts the mpg more than anything I believe. Of course my driving style is no help either. It is a beater but it is a bit spirited for what it is. I would not call it fast by any means, just a little fun to drive. I love how the AWD handles situations. Of course the AWD also makes a hero driver out of the average day driver. I always remind myself not to get to comfortable with any situation and when I am in the evo I most of the time only listen to the sound of the engine and road.

The only thing that someone will see as not being stock just by looking at my evo is the FMIC and a good eye will notice the exhaust is a little bigger as well. To someone who knows nothing about the evo the whole things seems to not be stock. Later I hope to add a small lip to the front bumper and the vortex generator to the top; of course a rear diffuser would be nice as well. Even with those it will not look far from stock considering the MR comes with the vortex generator.

Added: BTW the video looks like a lot of fun. It must have been a blast.

Raist

edit on 5/3/11 by Raist because: adding comment

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

Cars are a bit like women (sorry to if this sounds sexist to anyone it is not intended that way), even if you are driving a race car you always look at what others are driving admiring the beauty of their car as well. Even though I love my evo I enjoy admiring other cars. Their curves, their style and flash, their design, and even though many are different they still cause excitement. If everything was the same our world would be rather boring. I hope I explained that well without insulting anyone some will understand what I mean though certainly.

AMS is not the only big powered evo out there, many are getting big numbers now that they have been in the U.S. for a decade. As I said some ride around in some monster daily driven cars. I could not do that and find it to be over kill for my intentions. Honestly even my goal is a bit much for my intentions, as even the stock evo can far exceed any daily driven road limitations. It would be great to have roads around here like the Autobahn. In cases like that a daily driven monster would not be excessive in any way

Raist

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by scghst1

You should post some pics of it.

I have a co-worker who is working on modding out his civic non-Vtec now. I nearly cried when I heard how little money he spent on mods compared to the price I have to pay for mods

I do all my own work and the parts are still costly, I would hate to pay the labor. When I get all my parts I will be driving down to Mellon tuning to get a great street tune. They do great work and are well respected in the community.

Raist

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by scghst1
I currently have a 1994 Acura Integra that is the B18 1.8L non V-tec engine. The most modification i have done is remove the power steering and A/C belts as it frees up horses on the crank. I had a modest 8-10 HP boost from doing so, not much, and probably not worth getting rid of the power steering, but i have gotten used to it
. Aside from that, my other mod i did was put in a cold air intake and put a K&N filter on it. Oh my god was the difference astounding! All my other friends who have Honda Civics, Del Sols or even some CRX's CANNOT keep up with me whatsoever since i put the cold air on there coupled with the K&N. Some of my friends even have V-tec in their cars and i still dust them once i start to top out 3rd gear (100~ MPH) and i still have all of 4th to just pull away from them. I would suggest a good Cold Air and catback muffler on your WRX. Maybe get a bigger turbo for it too.

It's called Torque

Engines are simply air pumps. They simply combine air and gasoline to make power. The more air the more power they create.
This is why turbo charging, which concentrates the air provided to the engine creates considerably more power.

Any and all engines will respond to better air flow and hence the advantages seen by cold air intakes.

I have always made my own, simply by minimizing the myriad of plumbing cars are outfitted with the OEM intakes on cars today which are designed for quietness and not necessarily for air flow.

The first thing that I do with all of my cars is to remove the resonator. This is just a big box, similar to a muffler used to deaden the sound of the intake valve clatter of the engine.

This alone straightens out the air flow providing much more air to the intake side of the engine AND is the primary benefit used by the Cold Air intake systems which charge $100's of dollars for what are essentially merely shortened albeit smoother bending tubes.

The Non VTEC engines, B18B1 had 130lb/ft of torque, slightly more than that of the VTEC engines.
Especially thosed used in the CIVIC VTEC engines such as the B-16's which were only about 111lb/ft of torque.

And due to the B18B1's lower redline, the torque came on sooner. This is where the advantage comes in when racing off the line.

The B18B1's peak torque was reached at 5200 RPM vs the higher revving VTEC B18C1 peak torque which was slightly less coming in at 6200 RPM.

So that would explain why with your cold air intake which is going to provide more torque as well, as why you are tooling on the smaller 1.6L B-16 VTEC guys in their CIVICs.

I owned the original 92 EG Civic with a D16VTEC motor and used to tool on the non VTEC CRX's.

Later I had considered the B18B1 engine as a swap over that of the GSR's engine for this very reason. Also they were more widely available and less $$$ than the B18C1 engines.

People are continuously disillusioned by HorsePower numbers....a crafty ploy used by Marketeers to sell cars.

Torque as defined in Physics is defined as rotational energy...= Omega x R is the radius.
Horsepower is actually derived from Torque.

Torque, a measure of energy, is actually what is measured at the output of the engine crankshaft and turns the wheels of your car and moving your car forward.

On the street, off the line, Torque is what matters. ON a race track where you're at WOT and at redline, HP does play a more significant role for top speed.

Here's the engine data on the two engines....I used to ponder over this until I solved the dilemma of more power by purchasing the TSX which has a larger 2.4L VTEC engine solving the low end torque problem of my D16 VTEC Civic.

Glad to hear you're driving a Honda....They are FUN Cars !
From a former BMW, Porsche and VW GTI owner...and currently a TSX owner/driver.

B18B1

NON-VTEC
Found in:
1994-2001 Acura Integra "RS/LS/GS/SE" (DC4/DB7)
1992-1996 JDM Honda Domani (MA5)
1993-1994 JDM Honda Inta (DB7)
1996-1999 JDM Honda Orthia (EL1)
Displacement: 1,834 cc (111.9 cu in)
Compression: 9.2:1
Bore: 81 mm (3.2 in)
Stroke: 89 mm (3.5 in)
Rod Length: 137.01 mm (5.394")
Rod/Stroke Ratio: 1.54
Power: 142 hp (106 kW) @ 6300 rpm & 130 ft·lbf (180 N·m) @ 5200 rpm
Redline: 6800 rpm (7200 rpm on JDM Domani)
Rev Limit: 7200 rpm
Transmission: Y80/S80
JDM version is marked B18B on the block without any number.
JDM version has a compression 9.4:1 where the usdm version is 9.2:1.
JDM version has a higher compression ratio which results in higher hp and tq levels than the usdm version

USDM B18C1

VTEC
Found in:
1994-2001 USDM Integra GS-R (DC2/DB8)
Displacement: 1,797 cc (109.7 cu in)
Compression: 10.0:1
Bore: 81 mm (3.2 in)
Stroke: 87.2 mm (3.4 in)
Rod Length: 137.9 mm (5.4 in)
Rod/Stroke Ratio: 1.58
Power: 170 hp (127 kW) @ 7600 rpm
Torque: 128 lb·ft (174 N·m) @ 6200 rpm
Redline: 8100 rpm (Fuel cut-off @ 8200 rpm)
VTEC Engagement @ 4400 rpm
VCIS changeover @ 6000 rpm

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Originally posted by nh_ee
reply to
no problem and thanks, if had entire collection could post hundreds- at one point had two lots and a shop, eventually leading to a mail order custom fiberglass design/mfctng. plant specializing in after market mods (originally USA1 -strictly vettes) dominately listed in magazines like Truckin, Car Craft, Hot Rod etc.
but also supplieng dealership conversion companies for a variety of vehicles (Harwood was main competitor) with a seperate sport truck/car mod retail store running at the same time

as for the best design look in classic era I agree (specially with the carrera type flairs as both pic'd above) until something like below comes around
..used to also Rally race against other porsches, lotus's etc. and have a few trophies from that and shows like the World of Wheels over the years as well

the Bronco was neat no doubt, first early style I'd had (a black '93 EB 5.8efi before this-luved it) but at least I still have the original 302 complete
-hoping to use towards another mustang and definately can relate to keeping a 4x4 around, had just started to build a quick-pin bracket for rear seat to flip backwards and a couple of pole holders in plans for "backing that thing up" at the beach in hopes of winning a Corona commercial
, already had the tow bar and welded brackets

I like

makes me think of this all time favorite

seen the new concept Bronco? (sorry best pic found with no top)

edit on 5-5-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

hahaha, yeah it's all appealing and "whatever your hands find to do" and all but..
..well you know, anywhoo this is an interesting development, think there may be a thread on it here already also-

but first let us take this time to honor some great classic rock, a great band, song and very very cool ride -

The bill, which must still pass the Texas Senate, would allow the state’s Department of Transportation to raise the speed limit on highways that pass engineering and safety studies. Texas currently has a limit of 80 mph on some highways, as does Utah, while a handful of U.S. states have limits of 70 to 75 mph.

“They have high-speed roadways in Europe,” said Rep. Lois Kolkhorst of Brenham. “There could be some merit in having some of those highways in Texas.”

The autobahn in Germany is probably the most widely known European highway where driving enthusiasts enjoy the limitless “as-the-conditions-permit” speed limits. But while Texas is looking to raise speeds, the opposite is taking place the German state of Baden-Württemberg where the country’s Green party is making a new push to impose a 75 mph limit on some autobahn stretches make-the-trek.com...

plus for any in Texas serious about racing other than strip-

Think of MotorSport Ranch as a place that its members go to satisfy that "need for speed". Many people own a sports or high performance car, or even a vintage race car. The Ranch is a place to explore the potential of these cars and for the drivers to develop and practice their skills. The Ranch offers convenience and accessability for its members who do are able to treat performance driving as a sport or a hobby
www.motorsportranch.com...

edit on 5-5-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Nice cars in this thread,

my weekend ride

edit on 5/8/2011 by Mark98SS because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/8/2011 by Mark98SS because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join