It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate will have to return health bill to House

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Senate will have to return health bill to House

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – Senate Republicans learned early Thursday that they will be able to kill language in a measure altering President Barack Obama's newly enacted health care overhaul, meaning the bill will have to return to the House for final congressional approval.

It appeared initially that deleting the provisions, dealing with Pell grants for low-income students, should not cause major problems for Democrats hoping to rush the bill to Obama and avoid prolonging what has been a politically painful ordeal for the party. Democrats described the situation as a minor glitch, but did not rule ou
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25/3/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
It seems like the story ain't over yet. This must be good news for some, bad for others.

Personally, I don't have much opinions about the issue as I am not american. Nevertheless, it is going to be quite interesting to see how things will turn out.

I haven't been able to find a decent unbiased source for information about what the real implications of this reform could be? Any good sources, suggestions?

-v

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25/3/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I think it's more like Obama signed into law the first bill, this is law.

Then there's this one modifying the original bill because it violates certain laws...

Wouldn't that make the first one illegal in the first place?

EDIT : oh noes it seems it's the same bill... time to defeat it this time.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I read the article
and the problem still stands
the Dems are not gonna let
Repubs take out the illegal parts
of this bill.

EVERYONE will still have to pay
or get fined or go to jail.

Insurance is still mandatory

It is a political stunt by the WH to help ease
tensions and curb the Revolution.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I kinda thought the same thing immediatly..thier aware of the death threats to lawmakers, and the public is VERY angry about this, government forcing yuo to buy something agaisnt your own will. A re count? i belive the digital vote coutners are rigged anyways. Thier was a CSPAN fottage few years ago, from texas, showing congressinal people when the camera was still rolling, pushing the vote for me bottons on eachothers desks. SO for me a re count means absolutely nothing, since it can be manipulated, as opposed to the old fashioned way, pen and paper into a slot.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Really, obama should have just left my and yuor health alone..its your descion in life, being a grown up to make. The smart ones will get insurance, yes...but its another thing when government and mr. presidente says you must or else...kinda like a dictator.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I'm sorry if this comes across as a stupid question, but what the hell do Pell grants have to do with healthcare?

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cale, Logan
I'm sorry if this comes across as a stupid question, but what the hell do Pell grants have to do with healthcare?

Political tactic. They put something in that if they vote against it they are labeled as selling out their party. Last year I believe we had guns in state parks permitted as part of the credit overhaul bill.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ventian

Political tactic. They put something in that if they vote against it they are labeled as selling out their party. Last year I believe we had guns in state parks permitted as part of the credit overhaul bill.

I was being sarcastic just fyi. I think having a bunch of provisions added that have nothing to do with healthcare are put in there simply to confuse the public. I don't like them lumping all sorts of non-related provisions into 1 bill.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Cale, Logan

Couldn't pick up on the sarcasm...srry. I agree with you. If a bill is about something then make it about that one thing. I suppose they refuse to change their ways though.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Nothing. But I think along with the health care reform, the bill also had provisions for redoing the student loan process. They are cutting out the banks (middle man) and allowing the federal govt to make direct student loans at a lower interest rate. I heard some GOP congressman complaining about that today ! Like it didn't have enough debate. I can't see what the other side of it is, unless the banks are your constituents and you are worried about their loss of profits.

I also heard they were raising the amount for pell grants. That part must have not passed the parlimentary rules on reconciliation, he must have decided raising pell grants does not fall under budget issues. Hopefully they still raise them with a separate bill.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
What is worst than passing this bill one time? Passing it two times!

Seriously, this shouldn't even pass... if they bring back the bill to ``fix`` illegal things, why don't they kill it because it's ``unconstitutional``? Ah right, the constitution is just a damn piece of paper!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
This is fantastic, wonderful, awesome, terrific news!

But after hours, the Republicans found two minor provisions related to higher education that violate Senate procedure. These provisions have to be removed from bill, and then it has to be voted on by the House again, said Jim Manley, spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.
Source: www.cnn.com...

What this means is that the bill which Obama signed, which is not law until the Senate passes it as well, without amendment, is in violation of the Senate rules! Therefore it cannot be passed as is and Obama's signature, seeing as how he signed a bill that was not and cannot be passed by the Senate, is about as worthless as Obama himself is.

The bill will have to be amended by the Senate, which means it now has to go back to the House for another vote. The House will have to pass it without amendments this time.

In other related news, things are heating up for some of them...

Democratic congressional leaders Wednesday demanded Republicans join them in condemning a spate of threats and vandalism that has followed Sunday's vote on a sweeping overhaul of the U.S. health care system.

More than 10 Democrats have reported trouble since the weekend vote, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer told reporters. Windows have been smashed at Democratic offices in at least three states, and federal agents were investigating whether a cut gas line at the home of a Virginia congressman's brother was related to the lawmaker's yes vote.

Democracy "is not about violence," Hoyer said at a news conference with South Carolina Rep. James Clyburn, the No. 2 Democrat in the House of Representatives.
Source: www.cnn.com...

Smashed windows? A cut gas line? Folks, this is getting serious... and in response to Mr. Clyburn, I have to agree: democracy is not about violence. Unfortunately for him, what he is practicing is far from democracy. Perhaps he should be a bit more 'democratic' (pun intended)?

We all know by now that threats of voting them out won't work. Calls and letters and emails won't work. I do not condone violence, but I see little left to convince these politicians that we the people are still their bosses. We might make it to November after all....

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I'm no fan of the bill, but neither do I have any love for the health insurance industry. Between them, we are stuck between two horrible alternatives.

As for the GOP trying to kill this bill? I think they will regret it in the long run should they succeed. Not because the bill is all that wonderful, but because they will be seen as having denied the nation of the chance of discovery.

In a nutshell, without the bill, the health insurance industry will run roughshod over healthcare and things will only get worse. In 2010, instead of the GOP having this issue to hold up as an example of government run amok, it will be the Dems who will be able to say that the GOP denied you the chance to see the bill work, or fail on its own.

It's politics 101... and in the end, we all lose no matter who wins.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
reply to post by Cale, Logan

Couldn't pick up on the sarcasm...srry. I agree with you. If a bill is about something then make it about that one thing. I suppose they refuse to change their ways though.

It`s just their way of sneaking through a bill that they know would not pass if brought into the open. Remember all of the added garbage they tried to put into the stimulus bill? A lot of it was put there as a bribe for the ones who would have voted no on that bill alone. In other words, we`ll scratch your back, if you`ll scratch mine.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
So what did Obama sign if this mess isnt 'law' yet?

Sounds like these people can sign a blank sheet of paper into law then quite easily jam amendments onto it saying anything and everything.

"This blank sheet of paper is now law. It affects no one. Next week we'll attach an amendment to it that says everyone under 5'6" will be fed to Shamu."

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I keep hearing how the Pell Grant provision is going to save borrowers some money, but how? I had a Pell Grant through a regional lender and the interest rate was only 2.25% or .25% higher than the origination cost by the lender. I paid an additional $100 processing fee each semester, which contributed maybe another .15% to the rate over all. The NEW program features a 6.5% interest rate, or over 4% higher on the loan.

Here is the reality folks, and this is going to push this Bill further into the red... The federal government secures money for the program at between 1.5% and 2% from the Federal Reserve. They are going to lend this money out at 6.5% for a net gain of 4.5% to 5%. That net gain is being used as an accounting gimmick to shore up the funds to pay for the healthcare bill. In other words, this is a HIDDEN TAX on college students to pay for the healthcare bill. If it is determined that including this "Reform" in the bill is a violation of parliamentary procedure with respect to the reconciliation proces and it is removed, then a large portion of funding for the bill simply vanishes.

Some things here strike me as being hypocritical and disingenuous... First, this makes college LESS affordable to college students who will have to bear a higher interest rate on their loan AND amounts to a hidden tax. Next, it highlights the type of gimmickry employed to make this bill work - on paper anyway. But I don't see any of this working out as intended in the real world.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schaden
...I can't see what the other side of it is, unless the banks are your constituents and you are worried about their loss of profits.

I think the other side would be the notion that if the govt. controls the money - it controls who goes to school. Just another way for Big Brother to insert itelf into the lives of everyday Americans.

....plus what Kozmo just said

[edit on 25-3-2010 by glad_to_be_His]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Whoever wrote that article must be confused or I am totally missing something. There are two bills.

The first bill Obama has already signed and is already law. It did not have to go back to the Senate because the House passed it 'as-is'.

This second bill is the 'fix' bill which I believe this article is referring to. Regardless of what happens with this second 'fix' bill, the first one will remain law.

It seems like whoever wrote that article is getting the two confused.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
In other related news, things are heating up for some of them...

Democratic congressional leaders Wednesday demanded Republicans join them in condemning a spate of threats and vandalism that has followed Sunday's vote on a sweeping overhaul of the U.S. health care system.

Dems: Hey!! You better back us up on this! The people aren't playing fair!

Reps: Aw awright....... "Hey, you boys there with the glass and gas! Didn't yrr daddy teach ya nothin'? You gotta play fair with them democrat boys, you can't just go 'round smashin' up cars and all that nonsense. Hell, some working man up to the auto plant worked hard building that there automobile! Them things cost money! So you boys play fair now an ya give 'em a runnin' start. Besides, bullets are cheaper!"

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join