It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did your representative vote for the health care bill? Was it against the will of their distric

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
So it is obvious that more people here on ATS would rather talk about propaganda than facts.

This is your chance...call out your representative and show proof that they voted against the will of the people if that is really true.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

The health care reform legislation that is currently stalled in Congress is deeply unpopular in New Hampshire, only 26% say
they favor the legislation, 57% oppose, and 16% are neutral or don’t know enough about it to say. Significantly, only 19%
of independents say they approve of the reform legislation being considered by Congress.

From a February poll. Page 4 with graph

So, according to this poll Hodes and Shea-Porter voted against the people's wishes.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Good for you...you have data that shows for that state they did seem to go against the people. New Hampshire has 2 districts...so a state wide poll seems fairly reasonable to represent the 2 districts.

You should vote them out next election if you disagree with their decision.

Star for you.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by OutKast Searcher]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I can prove that my Senators voted against the will of the people:

Poll of Arkansas voters from late January 2010

Both voted FOR the legislation. According to this poll, only 26% of the state of Arkansas supported the bill in late January, compared to 58% opposed. The numbers showed similar levels of opposition to the votes made by both Lincoln and Pryor. Again, I haven't seen a district level poll.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I dont see how the government can afford $100 billion a year for health care when the country is in a recession right now

New Health Care Bill will cost about $100 billion a year. This is about the yearly cost of the Iraq War.

Whats next is total economic collapse.....

Click here to see what representative got how much money.

maplight.org...

It should be illegal for representatives to accept bribes for their votes....
They shouldve passed that bill instead of the health care bill

Theyre not representing us/the public!!!!!!!
They represent who pays them the most money!!!!!!

[edit on 23-3-2010 by DjSharperimage]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

The trend I'm seeing is a lack of published district-based polls, which isn't really all that surprising.

Many polls are conducted by partisan organizations and news corporations. If they are partisan, it makes sense that they would tend to downplay results that aren't consistent with the agenda they're trying to push.

As for news corporations, insurance advertising is a major revenue stream. If you recall the case of whistleblowers Jane Akre and her husband Steve Wilson vs. Fox News, you know the MSM is not above hiding the facts if they are detrimental to their advertisers. They won't bite the hand that feeds them.

I wouldn't construe the lack of district polls to mean that a majority of representatives voted the will of their constituents, however. If that were the case, Obama would not have needed to promise to campaign for lawmakers who voted for the legislation, and he wouldn't need to keep trying to sell it to the American people after it has already become law.

On a personal note, Outkast, I've read a lot of your posts; haven't had time to reply to as many as I would have liked. I just wanted to say that I regret some of the name calling and insults you've had to endure. I would have expected better on ATS. But through it all you stuck to your guns and argued for what you believe is right. I disagree with you on this issue, but I respect your tenacity and character.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
You should vote them out next election if you disagree with their decision.

Voting the offender out is all well and good but the damage is done. Which is essentially why "vote the bum out" is a pointless endeavor. By the time people are angry enough, so angry they dont just forget in a month and move on, the damage is done and it doesnt matter.

It's like putting on a kevlar vest after getting shot.

Voting in this day and age is useless. Both parties are working toward the same goal. It's been shown over and over that the politicians will vote however they wish despite public opinion. It's also been shown over and over that they dont particularly care if they get re-elected. Why should they? Why should any of them? The greater cause of domain over man, funneling of funds upwards and corporatist rule are still functioning regardless of which ass sits in the seat casting the vote.

Maybe if the nipples of these politicians were hooked up to some electro shock machine that we all got to crank on if we disapproved we could actually get some representation.

Voting is dead as a viable course of action. Has been for decades.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Good source...but this is from late Jan 2010...and the Senate voted in December 2009.

So if there was no data before that...you can't really pin this on them.

If I was a representative or a senator (easier to do if I was a rep)...I would simply just do a telephone poll for each major issue I voted on...and I would have a life long job.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

The trend I'm seeing is a lack of published district-based polls, which isn't really all that surprising.

True...I can't say I was surprised to not find many district polls. It was kind of my point...that we really can't say for sure who or who didn't vote against their constituents. Many were pointing to the national polls...but a representative elected to represent their district should never look at national polls for thier vote decision. If they do...then they are looking out more for themselves than for their district.

I wouldn't construe the lack of district polls to mean that a majority of representatives voted the will of their constituents

Agreed...but you also can't they didn't vote the will of their constituents. This thread was less about showing one or the other and more to show that we really just don't know. But I was glad to see some people give some indication that they think their rep voted for or against their district.

and he wouldn't need to keep trying to sell it to the American people after it has already become law.

I don't know...he is the president and people are still very unsure of this. I see it as his job to calm the public and try to show them what really is in the bill. If he is lying...everyone will soon find out....if he isn't lying...everyone will soon find out.

On a personal note, Outkast, I've read a lot of your posts; haven't had time to reply to as many as I would have liked. I just wanted to say that I regret some of the name calling and insults you've had to endure. I would have expected better on ATS. But through it all you stuck to your guns and argued for what you believe is right. I disagree with you on this issue, but I respect your tenacity and character.

Thank you...I appreciate it...and I'll be looking for more of your posts as well. I enjoy civil discussions on topics that I feel are important. I don't like when it has to turn into people declaring others enemies...but nothing I can do to control that except continue to attempt to keep the discussion going in a civil way.

The funny thing is that most these people who are throwing insults my way will most likely be supporting me once the Cap and Trade debates start...because I am 100% against that legislation.

Hope to see you around some more

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
My representative, a Democrat, voted No. Here is the closest thing I could find to a poll (from January):

QUESTION: Would you favor or oppose the national government offering everyone the choice of a government administered health insurance plan -- something like the Medicare coverage that people 65 and older get -- that would compete with private health insurance plans?

NM-02 (Teague)
67% Favor
19% Oppose
14% Not Sure

So, it looks like he voted against his constituents but I can't be sure as I don't have a recent poll.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
My congresswoman voted for the bill and last night someone shattered the door and windows of her office and I know she has received many death threats in the last six months. I agree with her vote and consider what was done last night an act of political terrorism and cowardice. Because there is so much violence going on I'm reluctant to even mention which district I am from and dismayed at the cowardice of those who choose to engage in violence over legal means of expressing themselves and exercising their rights as citizens of the USA. The people have spoken, and it ain't over yet but I am proud of my congresswoman for doing the right thing, representing her constituents and getting this going.

good night, crazy people.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
I don't know the answers to these questions. (I'm not even American) I did read in the news, however, that ZERO republicans voted for the health care bill, so I strongly suspect at least some of them, maybe many or most, voted against their constituents. Zero votes by one party indicates that they voted along party lines rather than going with what their constituents want.

Actually only democrats voted for it. Both democrats and republicans voted against it. So, the dems that voted for it, voted along party lines the ones that voted against it voted in line with their constituents.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimragan
So, the dems that voted for it, voted along party lines the ones that voted against it voted in line with their constituents.

That's what this thread is asking for proof of... Got any proof of that statement?

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
The VOTE was bipartisan.

If the VOTE was bipartisan we would have seen both Dems and GOP voting both for and against it...

That is not what occured.

What occured was the GOP ALL voted against.

The Dems? They needed 216 and once they locked that up they told thier representitives from very conservative districts to go ahead and vote against it.

Why?...so they could keep Dem seats come November that they could have lost otherwise if those members had voted for it.

Understand? Bipartisanship had nothing to do with it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join