It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did your representative vote for the health care bill? Was it against the will of their distric

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
You think your representative voted against the will of the people??? Here is your chance to prove it.

Let's see if the claims that this was done against the will of the people is true or not.

1) What is the name of your representative?

2) Is he Democrat or Republican?

3) Which way did he vote on health care?

4) Did he vote the way you wished?

5) Did he vote the way your district wished?

For that last question...you will have to show proof. Show a local poll from your local district that shows the district was against it.

If you can't show this...then you haven't done your homework and have no right to complain. Don't refer to the national polls...those shouldn't represent the individual districts or dictate how an individual representative should vote.

Why use national polls when we have a community of individuals spread out over the country that can show local politics???

I'm interested to see the results.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by OutKast Searcher]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
My representative is a Democrat, in a district with a heavy registration advantage for Democrats; granted, they're traditional, conservative Democrats. My representative voted against the bill, as I had hoped he would. I don't know the poll numbers on this district, and considering that its a poor, rural district, I doubt any public polling firm even bothered, but I suspect he was flooded with calls to vote against. I personally have not seen or heard of much support for the bill around here.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
My Rep voted against it because he votes along party lines. Our district was against it because the wealthiest citizens are in that party.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Thanks.

So your voice was heard...and your rep listened despite his party being for this bill.

So you should be happy...right? Your represenatative did his job for your district.

Shouldn't you also be understanding that if other districts supported the bill...and the rep voted "yes" that they are doing their job too?

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I have Max Butt kiss, he's the one that came up with fining people for not getting insurance, and IRS collecting the debt. I hope he chokes to death on something...ANYTHING!!! ARG

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I don't know the answers to these questions. (I'm not even American) I did read in the news, however, that ZERO republicans voted for the health care bill, so I strongly suspect at least some of them, maybe many or most, voted against their constituents. Zero votes by one party indicates that they voted along party lines rather than going with what their constituents want.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
1) What is the name of your representative? Sam Johnson

2) Is he Democrat or Republican? Republican

3) Which way did he vote on health care? NO

4) Did he vote the way you wished? NO

5) Did he vote the way your district wished? I assume he did (trying to find a poll for this district is like pulling teeth). Given that the Dallas area is heavily Republican, I can't imagine any poll showing the majority in this district being for health care. However, I find the lack of information on poll numbers highly suspect.

Good Thread!

S&F

P.S. I just sent Sam Johnson an email requesting Poll statistics on the health care reform bill. Or any other indicator to show that his vote was representative of the majority in his district.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by oppaperclip

So no proof or facts...just angry ranting???

This is your chance to prove he did something against his constituents...and all you can do is rant???

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
My representative in central Texas, Chet Edwards, who represents a heavily Republican community voted against the bill. Whether or not that was the will of the majority is hard to say as many people refuse to talk politics out of fear of reprisals. It's not a community that has a high tolerance for those that differ.

If your wondering how a democrat can represent a Republican area, he is a graduate of Texas A&M. Which makes a huge difference here. Add to that most of his Republican challengers were out of towners who moved to the community just so they could run.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Am I happy? Not with the fact that it passed. Am I angry with my own representative? Not really.

On a national basis, I do not know what the situation was in every individual Congressional district. That said, when virtually all national level polling was showing that opinion was somewhat negative towards the bill, as a generality, I think its virtually certain that the will of the people in a significant number of districts was ignored. That said, its a problem that those particular districts are going to have to address this fall at the polling booth if they're unhappy about it.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by vor78]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

1.) Tim Holden

2.) Democrat

3.) No.

4.) Yes.

5.) Impossible to tell.

You see, some districts aren't exactly well off enough to hold polls on every issue. What I can say is what I have seen and that was four different rallies outside of the representatives office. There were two rallies for him to vote yes and two for him to vote no, with the no voting rallies populace far out numbering any "yes" rallies.

However, having correspondence with Mr. Holden in the past I received a letter which showed me that regardless of the will of the people he would vote how HE wanted. Luckily, this time, his will was in line with that of the people.

You say not to quote national polls but why not? Obviously is statistically, national polls state that (hypothetically) 64% of the people were against the bill, and yet it passed - doesn't that state that OBVIOUSLY representatives would of have to vote outside the wills of their district? It takes simple logic to realize that fact.

We can argue about which representatives scorned the voices of their districts but nothing will prove it unless you lived there and you understand each district. The voting on November will go on to give us THAT statistic.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The VOTE was bipartisan.

Ask yourself, which vote had BOTH parties in it?

Of course, monumental votes like the Federal Reserve, 16th Amendment, SS, Medicare etc etc etc, supposedly for the GOOD of the PEOPLE always seems to stick the people.

1913 was the end of the US of A. We now are the Slave state of the Federal Reserve and the IMF.

I wonder if anyone actually studies history anymore?

Probably not, because than people might actually KNOW something.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
You think your representative voted against the will of the people??? Here is your chance to prove it.

Let's see if the claims that this was done against the will of the people is true or not.

For that last question...you will have to show proof. Show a local poll from your local district that shows the district was against it.

If you can't show this...then you haven't done your homework and have no right to complain. Don't refer to the national polls...those shouldn't represent the individual districts or dictate how an individual representative should vote.

Why use national polls when we have a community of individuals spread out over the country that can show local politics???

I'm interested to see the results.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by OutKast Searcher]

1) Bob Filner of California
2) Democrat
3) He voted for it.
4) No
5) That is hard to say as it is split right down the middle. He voted the way the Unions wanted him to vote, but I do not think he listened to what the people were saying. During his town hall meeting, there was a huge turnout and the people were against it.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Carol Shea-Porter (D) voted for it.

I got a form letter response and automated phone call as a "get back to you on that topic" response from her office.

She was voted in on the ignorant wave of "Bush is bad so I'll vote (D)" hysteria.

Her district is too large and varied. The more populous areas love her. The less populated areas despise her. City trash have a way of clinging to this kind of bull. Why they have to constantly drag the rural down with them is beyond me.

How is it remotely fair that trash living in Manch-Vegas get to decide who represents all of us by virtue of their sheer government dependent drug-addicted numbers?

For the record not once have I ever felt represented in Washington.

Found a poll stat from the Union Leader:

In a University of New Hampshire poll last month, 58 percent of Granite Staters said they disapprove of Obama's handling of health care reform. Reps. Carol Shea-Porter and Paul Hodes, who damaged themselves with their previous votes for health care reform, are being asked to support their President by voting against their constituents. Will Hodes and Shea-Porter vote with Obama again? What will Jeanne Shaheen, who is not up for election until 2016, do?

I'll keep an eye out for more info.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
1. Bobby Scott
2. Democrat
3. In Favor
4. No
5. Difficult to find a poll specifically for VA’s 3rd district so far. But statewide poll dated Oct. 2009 by the Richmond Times-Dispatch show that:

· 57 percent oppose a public-option, government-run insurance program as part of health-care reform, while 30 favor it, and 13 percent are undecided.
· 48 percent oppose requiring all Americans to have health insurance, while 39 percent believe coverage should be mandatory. Thirteen percent are undecided.
· 81 percent say health-care reform will lead to higher taxes to cover its estimated 10-year, $1 trillion cost. Seven percent say the initiative will not push up taxes, and 12 percent are not sure.
· 52 percent believe health-care reform will result in the rationing of health care, while 29 percent think otherwise. Nineteen percent are not sure.

I tend to think that the 3rd district would probably lean more conservatively than most of the state. We have a large military presence here, which for some strange reason tends to go conservative / republican, as opposed to Richmond and northern VA. I’m pretty sure that this is Bobby Scott’s last term, but I’m sure he doesn’t care. The damage is done and it won’t be undone, and Scott’s congressional retirement plan means he’s set for life. It’s not like this insurance bailout bill will affect him personally.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Am I seeing a trend here that so far no representative actually voted against an overwehlming majority of his district?

Can we even say for sure any have voted against the majority of their district?

So far...we can't...very interesting.

Come on ATS...I know more of you have complained loudly about this being passed against the will of the people...let's hear it.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

It's national freaking news he was the creator of this bill. How much proof do you want from me huh. I'll tell you what tell me where you live and I'll hold your hand while you check out fox news.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

So far, we haven't had enough responses to determine any trend. Plus, most of our evidence, including my own, as to 'the will of the people' in any given district is merely anecdotal.

Again, the only way we're going to know for sure is based upon the results of the vote in November. If the Democrats lose 40-50 seats in the House and four or five in the Senate, you'll have your answer.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Henry Cuellar.

Democrat.

Aye.

No.

No. There's a movement now to run opposition to get him voted out this year. I was just hearing about it on the news. The fuss was created over him even admitting he wasn't keeping track of the people's opinion on it:

However, Cuellar says he's not keeping track of how many are "for" or "against" it.

He was undecided on it at first but at the last minute, decided to vote for it. People I've been talking to down here are pretty pissed about it.

[edit on 3/23/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Online poll from KARK

arkansasmatters.com...

Local newspaper confirms how Arkansas reps voted

www.blakesthinktank.com... aign=Feed%3A+BlakesThinkTank+%28Blake%27s+Think+Tank%29

[edit on 23-3-2010 by derek_m24]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join