It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get out of here, atheists!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Get out of here, atheists!

richarddawkins.net

The governor of Illinois has been playing some games with state money, shuffling a million dollars to benefit a Baptist church, and an atheist dared to testify to the legislature against this. The response from one legislator was unsurprising: she shrieked at the atheist to get out.

Rep. Monique Davis (D-Chicago) interrupted atheist activist Rob Sherman during his testimony Wednesday afternoon before the House State Government Administration Committee in Springfield and told him, "What you have to spew and spread is extremely dangerous . . . it's dangerous for our children to even know
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I dont know if this has been posted before but WOW! i could'nt belive what i was hearing!! listen to the wav file!!

Just highlights her complete hostility towards atheists with quotes like
"it's dangerous for our children to even know that your philosophy exists! "

I live in the uk and can't even imagine anyone in politics saying anything like this in public, even if they thought it.
According to this www.ilga.gov...
shes still works for the government????

crazy.....

edit sorry this is my first post and it gone into the breaking news bit, the storry is a coupla years old could a mod move it to the religion section?
richarddawkins.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-3-2010 by loglady]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Hmmm...typical of the 'true Christian' manner to treat others as you would like to be treated... She gives Christianity a bad name. & Once again, she is showing the intolerance and self-righteousness that is Christianity.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Bad politicians in Illinois. Not surprised at all. They should take this woman and shove the Constitution up her you know what (probably wipes with it anyways). This is coming from an agnostic btw.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by ventian]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
Bad politicians in Illinois. Not surprised at all. They should take this guy and shove the Constitution up his you know what (probably wipes with it anyways). This is coming from an agnostic btw.

Thanks for the post but if you read or listened to the link, you would have realized that "Monique" , although a very popular boys name , is actually a woman..

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by loglady

Originally posted by ventian
Bad politicians in Illinois. Not surprised at all. They should take this guy and shove the Constitution up his you know what (probably wipes with it anyways). This is coming from an agnostic btw.

Thanks for the post but if you read or listened to the link, you would have realized that "Monique" , although a very popular boys name , is actually a woman..

Maybe he/she/it was actually talking about the atheist? You never know on ATS.

Religion should never mix with politics. That's the bottom line.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Goathief

Agreed. Politics and religion should never be in the same house at the same time. She has differing opinions but she is a representative of the people so she should at least respect the people she represents. Not much of that going on nowadays.

@OP I fix'd it. Quick to punch in what I thought about her with no regard to her gender.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Goathief

Hmmm... that had'nt even crossed my mind that they were refering to the atheist, but the more i read that post, the more i'm starting to think your right.

EDIT: hmmm cross posts(is that what you call it)!! apoligies for having you down as a crazy!

[edit on 23-3-2010 by loglady]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by jinx880101
Hmmm...typical of the 'true Christian' manner to treat others as you would like to be treated... She gives Christianity a bad name. & Once again, she is showing the intolerance and self-righteousness that is Christianity.

No she simply affirms the bad name christianity has - this is exactly what christians are.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
From the Chicago Tribune

Davis: I don’t know what you have against God, but some of us don’t have much against him. We look forward to him and his blessings. And it’s really a tragedy -- it’s tragic -- when a person who is engaged in anything related to God, they want to fight. They want to fight prayer in school.

I don’t see you (Sherman) fighting guns in school. You know?

I’m trying to understand the philosophy that you want to spread in the state of Illinois. This is the Land of Lincoln. This is the Land of Lincoln where people believe in God, where people believe in protecting their children.… What you have to spew and spread is extremely dangerous, it’s dangerous--

Sherman: What’s dangerous, ma’am?

Davis: It’s dangerous to the progression of this state. And it’s dangerous for our children to even know that your philosophy exists! Now you will go to court to fight kids to have the opportunity to be quiet for a minute. But damn if you’ll go to [court] to fight for them to keep guns out of their hands. I am fed up! Get out of that seat!

Sherman: Thank you for sharing your perspective with me, and I’m sure that if this matter does go to court---

Davis: You have no right to be here! We believe in something. You believe in destroying! You believe in destroying what this state was built upon.

Sherman didn't budge, continued his testimony related to Gov. Rod Blagojevich's oddly misdirected $1 million grant intended for Pilgrim Baptist Church, (story) and later told me he "felt like Rosa Parks."

The thing that strikes me is that she is a political representative, yet is utterly unaware of the separation of church and state! Last time I checked, that applies down to the smallest jurisdiction.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Son of Will

Thanks for posting this transcript, it just shocks me every time i read/listen to this, i bet she did'nt realize she was being recorded!

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by loglady
What you have to spew and spread is extremely dangerous . . . it's dangerous for our children to even know

It's not quite as dangerous as misappropriating tax dollars to fund a religious institution, which is illegal. Also, I have never met any atheist that was inclined to "spew and spread" anything.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Nice find, but it doesn't look like anybody caught this:

Monday, April 7, 2008

link

This is pretty old news, 2 years to be exact.

According to wikipedia:

Davis' remarks drew great controversy.[12][13][14] For example, the Council for Secular Humanism said it was "appalled by Davis’s apparent belief that atheists and other non-religious individuals are not entitled to the same rights and liberties as other citizens."

and...

That same night, MSNBC journalist and commentator Keith Olbermann, on his show Countdown, declared Davis the "Worst Person in the World,"[15][16] calling on Davis to either apologize or resign.

then it goes on to say..

On Thursday, April 10, it was reported on Countdown with Keith Olbermann, that Representative Davis called him personally to apologize for her remarks, and that he accepted her apology. She stated that she was angry because of the shooting deaths of two students earlier that day

Doing a little digging, I found that a week after the incident, Davis called Sherman to apologize as well.

Yesterday, State Representative Monique Davis (D-Chicago) called me from the Floor of the Illinois House of Representatives to apologize for what she had said to me at last Wednesday’s hearing of the House State Government Administration Committee...

Rep. Davis said that she had been upset, earlier in the day, to learn that a twenty-second and twenty-third Chicago Public School student this school year had been shot to death that morning. She said that it was wrong for her to take out her anger, frustrations and emotions on me, and that she apologized to me.

link

Pretty sorry excuse in my opinion, but hey, at least she apologized...a week after it happened

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
That's the problem with Christians, they believe that any offense can be smoothed over with an apology. A public apology after what she said is insulting and quite obviously ingenuous. That's just another sign that the government has been taken over the the religious right. Not that we need to be reminded of that anymore.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by warpcrafter

Yeah the government has been taken over by the religious right. Hence the state mandated religions and why every classroom of every public school has a cross hanging behind the teachers desk right?

top topics

join