It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists break fundamental law of nature

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
American scientists at the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) managed to do an experiment that seems to have broken the universal law of parity in an experiment where gold nuclei were smashed together at fractions below speed of light, showing how up- and down- quarks seem to "understand" up and down despite it being thought impossible....

Sandweiss and the team — which includes Yale physics research scientists Evan Finch, Alexei Chikanian and Richard Majka — found that quarks of a like sign moved together: Up quarks moved along the magnetic field lines, while down quarks traveled against them. That the quarks could tell the difference in directions suggested to the researchers that symmetry had been broken.

The results were so unexpected that Sandweiss and his colleagues waited more than a year to publish them, spending that time searching for an alternative explanation. The physicist is still quick to point out that the effect only suggests parity violation — it doesn't prove it — but the STAR collaboration has decided to open up the research to scrutiny by other physicists.

"I think it's a real effect, but we'll know more in the upcoming years," Sandweiss says.

Source: opa.yale.edu...

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
So what does that mean? Seriously? Anyone know? I think somone posted this yesterday on ATS. Better do a quick search.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
it means i need a degree in astro-physics ahahaha

I dont think theres anything to understand. From the sound of the article, the scientists barley know whats going on.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
double post

sad day for the edit button

[edit on 21-3-2010 by SPACEYstranger]

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
There is already a thread about this here;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SPACEYstranger

That's true most of the time, only they don't realise it.

2nd.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Oh, if it has already been posted I didn't know it. Seems like ATS should do some serious upgrades to their terrible search function. I'm normally better off using google when searching for topics here.

As for what the research results may mean for the future of physics, I honestly have no idea, other than at subatomic level, buildingblocks of sub-atomic particles seem to defy any theory and even nature's laws in this experiment. I'm not a physicist, and my knowledge of quarks and such is limited to their names and how they are what protons and neutrons etc are made up from. Worth looking into I guess....

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
It means that your DNA knows the deferents between your head and your A$$.

That the quarks could tell the difference in directions.

This shows DNA as a hole is highly intelligent, as is all other forms of matter in the universe. Just because it doesn't have a brain does not mean it's not aware of it's own existence.
All matter in this universe is alive.

Yes this is a little forward thinking, but in a time, a short time this will be proven to be so.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jsettica

Quarks do not have DNA in them.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Please post in the ongoing discussion located here:

Original Thread

Closing Duplicate

Thank you

Semper

top topics