It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Highest Frequency you can Hear? 20hz - 20khz Test.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

NOPE... just waves of air pressure

I had an instructor in school that said things do not make sound unless a human ear is there to interpret the air waves into sound.

Just a little something to think about...

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Frakkerface

No, I didn't. My apologies, as I'm exhausted and really need to get to bed. But thank-you for your informative post!

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Ill run it through pro tools...

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jinx880101

I heard it up to 15khz and now I can't stop hearing it....

it's bouncing around inside my skull.. arrghh!!!

oO

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedBird
I could sense the vibrations starting at 40hz, but could not actually hear it until 50hz.

I lost the sound at 14kHz, but continued sensing the vibrations until 16kHz.

Some of the frequencies caused me physical discomfort. starting at 3 kHz my heart began palpitating, and I started to feel nauseous, but this gave way by about 7 kHz and I felt fine for the remainder.

Very neat, and also strange. I was surprised to find that I had physiological responses to some of the frequencies.

EDIT - I'm 24, and I've got slightly below-average hearing thanks to the military!

[edit on 17-3-2010 by RedBird]

Yikes, I too felt heart palpitations about that freq. and I started hearing it about 60hz but was slightly aware of it just before.

im 37..

it also left me a bit spaced out, which was nice

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I feel much better now.

I'm not gonna say much, as I dont want to offend anyone. But at exactly 4:56 there is no longer any proper waveform visable. This is just after 18khz flashes onscreen....
Perhaps those who could hear the "20khz" are hearing ringing from the annoying (inaccurate) test.

I still want a Neve though

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ppk55

being a conspiracy site and all, I think this might be a great way to obtain people's age. 20hz was very clear.

Okay, that is soooo NOT what I was doing!

My gosh, if you guys don't want to post your age, you are not obligated to. Seriously, it was just for interest sake....

& Good for you on the 20hz! Wish I could hear it too.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
As a hifi freak this test is always interesting to do (I use NCH tone generator and make my own sweep however). When I was about 19 I could hear all the way to 20khz, nowadays at 23 its 18-19+khz depending on if my ears are having a good day (got a wax build up at the moment). I've spent far too much time working in dance gigs around 10,000w plus sound rigs (with earplugs mostly) and cranking my own beasty hifi at home >_<

Bass wise i'll hear it down to 20hz then after that I still 'hear it' but not.. it gets infrasonic. It's more of a 'feel hear'. Because of living next to a train tunnel for almost half my life i've become incredibly sensitive to infrasonic sounds and will be bothered by them much easier than most people. When I'm on form I'll pickup on the low vibrations coming through the earth of an approaching train (where ever I am) which will normally be either wheel or resonant under 20hz engine sound, about 4 or 5 minutes before i'll hear the air horn or engine noise. As a train comes through the tunnel when at home it builds a standing wave which starts incredibly low, down around .5hz or so.

Most interesting thing about a journey into the world of hifi or lasers or colour intensive artwork of any form is that for me working on a specific sense attribute seems to sharpen it immensely. Even though I'm older I reckon my ears are better on average for picking up on things than when young. I guess your brain learns patterns and refernces better over time and this helps.

Speaking of trains here comes the 1am frieght... it'll be here in about 10 minutes lol

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

It feels like my brain want's to explode (and all thinng bengin to move on my desk)

Hi!

Thought I'd add 40hz made me feel like I was gonna faint...made me kind of light headed & my jaw drops & relaxes more than usual.

60hz- breathing got heavier but shorter breaths.

100hz- Everything in the house is making funny noises and it seems like the walls are moving (really).

After 100 hz, I don't feel uncomfortable anymore, just sounds like a plane taking off.

Uuum just to add- we have a NAD amplifier, so I think he sound is pretty good.

Today I could hear up to 18khz as opposed to yesterdays 17khz.

[edit on 23/01/2010 by jinx880101]

link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Got the same result through a freq analysis in PT.

You tube cant capture the bit depth needed to produce those frequencies.

Think pixels on a screen in terms of digital audio resolution.

link   

Originally posted by jinx880101
I found this while looking for a sound file of 62hz. Reason being, 62hz is the frequency a perfectly healthy human body resonates at. Couldn't find it.

In any case, I found this you tube video, which is a hearing test of some sort... & was fascinated by the comments.
The 13 year old could hear all the way up to 20khz!
Most others averaged at around 17 khz.
Apparently, the older you are, the lower the frequency you can hear...let's see if that holds truth.

It doesn't take long, & PLEASE be considerate to your pets if you have any

I'm 22 years young.
I could hear from 20hz up to 17 khz.
I think it disappeared at 18khz.
But when I first tried I could only hear to 15khz
(My ears have been blocked for 4 days now, due to sinusitis) but I don't think that would really make a big difference)

This should be quite exiting.

And would love to see what the hearing range of the members here are. Just for fun.

PS.
If anyone can direct me to that 62htz sound file, I would be really grateful.

Nice fun test to do but this test IMO is unvalid because:

1. It's a YouTube video (YouTube has BAD audio capabilities.)

2. You would need a fairly quite room to concentrate on the tones. (Doesn't have to be perfect.)

3. People need proper linear speakers for this. Some speakers can't even play that tonerange. (If it can, then fine.)

4. Acoustics play a BIG PART. If your room is shaped in a certain way, tones can become dim and others can be louder. (My room has that problem.) Solution = Sound absorbers. But I'm guessing that when you heard the youtube video, the sound went up and down in volume, no?

3. It's a YouTube video (YouTube has BAD audio capabilities.)!!

--

Haha, I can't stress it enough, youtube sucks for that kind of stuff.. I'm a producer and a soundtechnician and I can hear untill 20khz, but only under good circumstances with linear sounding speakers and a fine room.

But, I've done this test myself and it's really interesting! It's funny to think how much 20khz is more like air then sound.

When you go real down below to 50hz, it's physics playing in! As in airpressure etc.

The 16-18khz is sometimes known as the "breath" area for singers etc. Because when you boost that frenquency area of a singer, the singer gets spacious (In a good way!) and is much more pleasant to listen to, unless of course you are looking for a different result!

Nice test though!

But I can't gurantee you of proper resuslts from other members which can propably hear something else than that video.

PS: I'm sure some members aren't sure what to pay attention to in the deeper and higher frenquencies, lol!

[edit on 18-3-2010 by SalkinVictory]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
17 was the highest i could hear.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lombardy Inn
reply to post by Qumulys

Got the same result through a freq analysis in PT.

You tube cant capture the bit depth needed to produce those frequencies.

Think pixels on a screen in terms of digital audio resolution.

Thanks mate for double checking my claim. Some ppl may want to go back and edit their responses.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SalkinVictory

2. You would need a fairly quite room to concentrate on the tones. (Doesn't have to be perfect.)
3. People need proper linear speakers for this. Some speakers can't even play that tonerange. (If it can, then fine.)
4. Acoustics play a BIG PART. If your room is shaped in a certain way, tones can become dim and others can be louder. (My room has that problem.) Solution = Sound absorbers. But I'm guessing that when you heard the youtube video, the sound went up and down in volume, no?

Yeah, I get you.
There is another site my boyfriend uses for this, but they only had 3 frequencies available out of the dozens that were displayed.

I agree, the volume does vary, sounds as though it goes up & down.

Our lounge acts like a huge bass bin if we close all the inter leading doors, it's fun to hear the difference in sound when you open & close them!

Your input is much appreciated. I'm sure it makes those who can't hear the higher frequencies feel a bit better.

So, thanks!

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
What has just happened to me?

That was mental! I heard up to about 15-16 khz, maybe 17 at a push.

Sooooo, could this thing do some serious damage to, oh lets say....a cat? Just a hypothetical question of course

Also, was anyone else expecting something scary to jump out at them at some point?

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SalkinVictory

Originally posted by jinx880101
I found this while looking for a sound file of 62hz. Reason being, 62hz is the frequency a perfectly healthy human body resonates at. Couldn't find it.

In any case, I found this you tube video, which is a hearing test of some sort... & was fascinated by the comments.
The 13 year old could hear all the way up to 20khz!
Most others averaged at around 17 khz.
Apparently, the older you are, the lower the frequency you can hear...let's see if that holds truth.

It doesn't take long, & PLEASE be considerate to your pets if you have any

I'm 22 years young.
I could hear from 20hz up to 17 khz.
I think it disappeared at 18khz.
But when I first tried I could only hear to 15khz
(My ears have been blocked for 4 days now, due to sinusitis) but I don't think that would really make a big difference)

This should be quite exiting.

And would love to see what the hearing range of the members here are. Just for fun.

PS.
If anyone can direct me to that 62htz sound file, I would be really grateful.

--

Haha, I can't stress it enough, youtube sucks for that kind of stuff.. I'm a producer and a soundtechnician and I can hear untill 20khz, but only under good circumstances with linear sounding speakers and a fine room.

But, I've done this test myself and it's really interesting! It's funny to think how much 20khz is more like air then sound.

When you go real down below to 50hz, it's physics playing in! As in airpressure etc.

The 16-18khz is sometimes known as the "breath" area for singers etc. Because when you boost that frenquency area of a singer, the singer gets spacious (In a good way!) and is much more pleasant to listen to, unless of course you are looking for a different result!

Nice test though!

But I can't gurantee you of proper resuslts from other members which can propably hear something else than that video.

that 16-18kHz is best heard in mariah carey.

I think im going to have to break the tone generator out and at least make a proper 44.1 16bit wav file for people to listen to.

I compared this video to an HQ sine wave. Youtube just cant capture those frequencies.

Myself as an engineer, i dont even listen to Mp3s because of the quality loss. Most people dont realize it though.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Im 27 and since the age of 16 ive spent almost every weekend in a night club next to giant bass bins !

I can hear from 20hz to 14khz

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I'm 38, heard everything until 18..

Those low LOW rumbles piss me off.. like trucks on our street idling.. it drives me nuts if they sit there for a while... (Red necks.. they all love poor mufflers I think). dorks.

LOL And they 'rev' their engines sometimes when people are around.. hahahahaha.. like "oooooh look at me! I can really make a loud noise with an engine! give me a cookie NOW! don't ya wanna be JUST like me?

Pffft. lamers.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I'm 34 years old, and I know I've done damage to my ears, playing drums in a heavy metal band with Marshall Half stacks all around me in a small basement room all day for years and years and years.

Plus going to underground metal shows in NYC, and sitting right next to the amps when I had backstage passes to a Pantera show at Nassau Coliseum on Long Island.

So it didn't sprise me I didn't do too well on this test, although my hearing is fine for daily living. I have no permanent problems.

I was only able to barely hearthe intial 20hz (then I turned the volume on my speakers, headphones actually I wore during this), and I started over.

I heard the 20hz clearly all the way to only 14khz. When it went to 15khz I couldn't hear anything.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThenThanCorrectionMan
If you have tinitus the high frequencies never leave.Trust me I know.

Tell me bout it, i can hear them right now.

so frustrating, then again i do listen to loud music alot of the time so i cant really complain.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join