It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New glasses allow blind soldier to 'see' with his tongue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
"A soldier blinded in battle has become the first member of the armed forces to test a special pair of glasses which allow him to 'see' using his tongue.

Lance Corporal Craig Lundberg, who was blinded in a grenade attack in Basra, is trying the glasses which turn pictures into electrical impulses that are felt on the tongue.

The different sensations mean he can distinguish between light and dark and negotiate his way around objects. "

news.bbc.co.uk...

There is a video at that link. I thought it was kind of interesting, allthough hard to imagine what this might feel like.

Maybe someday this will be available for non-military people as well

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
While at a very early stage of development, I find the technology incredible. It is like we are one step closer to Star Trek levels of technology of direct interaction of the visual cortex and optic nerve.

Who knows how far this will lead.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Cool, but will he remain blind to his manipulation as a political pawn, can he really see

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
So this guys has to walk around with his tongue sticking out?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
i think he feels it on his tung. so probably not

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Sergeant: EYES FRONT PRIVATE!

private sticks out tongue

Sergeant: What are you looking at?

I don't think the Girls on the beach are going to appreciate a look from him

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Anything to get them back in the field.

it doesn't say former-soldier anywhere folks.

/Sarcasm off

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
While the technology itself is nice for sure, it isn't such new device. I recall reading about this in couple years back, and with effortless search on google I could find 2009 article:

Scientific American, august 2009.

Gotta agree with polarwarrior.

Also, people need to learn how to read and familiarize themselves with the material that OP presents. Some comments are again astronomically stupid and shows that some people don't read the content at all, but only the tittle of the thread.

-v

[edit on 16-3-2010 by v01i0]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

If you feel my comment is stupid, explain this?

A soldier blinded in battle has become the first member of the armed forces to test a special pair of glasses which allow him to 'see' using his tongue

Why is he still in the armed forces?

He should have gotten a honorable discharge and a nice sum of money imho.

Now this article looks like the research is funded by DARPA itself.

And watching with your tongue? come on you need it for other stuff, even when you are blind.

There have been far more interesting concepts with sound and implants.

Edit to say that to me this is Army propaganda, therefor my sarcasm.

It is like hey, we're sorry you're blind, can you test some stuff for us?

Reminds me of the weapon test scene from the recent movie District 9.

[edit on 16-3-2010 by Grey Magic]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

Oh noes, don't get offended, the stupid comment on my previous post wasn't directed at you at all.

It was just a general remark that people should familiarize themselves with the presented material before commenting. Well, of course sometimes mere topic arouses ideas within one's mind, but commenting without reading the material can lead into the embarassing results.

But besides of that, about the soldier still maybe being on payroll, I'd say that he could be used to test various things for army. He's not totally useless, although he must be ignorant because he's a soldier. But not useless. No.

-v

new topics

top topics

join