It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My boss told me I can't visit ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+74 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I work weekends at a grocery store called Winn Dixie. Yesterday I was on a lunch break and the store supervisor walked up to me while I was sitting on a bench and on ATS via my laptop and he walked over and leaned against the wall. Then he leaned forward and told me that he doesn't want me visiting these websites because they lie and distort facts. I was stunned and did not reply, and then he started to walk away and told me if he catches me on this website again I will be fired.

First off why does it even matter that I am on ATS while on break? Second how could he fire me for just visiting a website that is perfectly safe and legal? What is this guy’s problem and can he legally fire me for this. I don't understand what the problem is I was on a lunch break.

I want to make it clear for everyone.

I am using my own internet service through a Sprint wireless Datacard.
I am using my own personal computer.
I am on the companies property.
I was on my unpaid lunch break.

[edit on 3-15-2010 by SkepticOverlord]

+90 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Depends on your state laws. It could be one of those states that they can terminate you for any reason they want (or no reason at all). I would suggest looking for another job immediately and then tell your boss he is a closed-minded idiot and can find another obedient cog for his workforce.

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I would find out what your employment rights are. I wouldn't have thought following your boss's political beliefs is part of your job requirement. If you are allowed to view the net on your lunch break, i cant see that your boss has the right to say what you can do.

keep an eye out for another job, you dont want to be working for someone like that.

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Plain and simple I would tell him if he tells me what I can and cannot do on my own private time with my own personal items that him and my Louisville Slugger are going to have a meeting with his kneecaps. If this was during working hours with a work provided laptop I would say he is justified in his actions but if its your laptop and your not getting paid for lunch then he has no right. A better course of action would to just keep doing it till you get fired then call a Lawyer.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blazer
Depends on your state laws. It could be one of those states that they can terminate you for any reason they want (or no reason at all). I would suggest looking for another job immediately and then tell your boss he is a closed-minded idiot and can find another obedient cog for his workforce.

In Florida I think they can fire you for any reason.

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure there haven't been many tribunals from grocery store workers who feel they were unfairly fired (mind you there probably should be).

He's just a 'commonly shortened version of the name Richard' and to be honest can't say squat to you with regards to your break time activities (unless it's his internet).

Chill out bring in a copy of Mein Kampf and read that instead - see what he says then.

-m0r

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
he doesn't, and he can't.

Unless he uses some random reason like your scanned in this product wrong.

Tell him to go to hell.

I don't let my employees use ATS at work, but not because I don't want to.

It's a liability issue. We work with credit cards and personnal information, so message boards are a big nono.

Yeah, your fine, I would look for another job though, and tell him where to go.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensdoexist
reply to post by Misoir

Plain and simple I would tell him if he tells me what I can and cannot do on my own private time with my own personal items that him and my Louisville Slugger are going to have a meeting with his kneecaps. If this was during working hours with a work provided laptop I would say he is justified in his actions but if its your laptop and your not getting paid for lunch then he has no right. A better course of action would to just keep doing it till you get fired then call a Lawyer.

Great post.

This is my laptop and there were 3 other people out there on their laptops too. We are not paid for a lunch break. Actually I should turn him in because he makes people work overtime with their average hourly pay and people are not allowed to take their promised paid time off or they will get fired. But where I live either you keep the job you have or you have no job.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Wow that is so out of order

...Telling someone to Not go onto a website (in their own free time) just because they don't agree with what is being said.

Normally I would tell you to tell him where to go but it seems finding a job is so hard these days (especially where I live anyway) so if I would you I would secretly look for a job while remaining where you are.

And If you ever find a new one then you can happily go and tell your old (close minded) boss where he can go!

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Apparently you live in Florida, which is NOT one of the "no cause" states mentioned by the second poster. Your supervisor is ignorant of the law and obviously not on the cutting edge of HR policies. He's no doubt also an establishment type. If you were on Winn Dixie property during your lunch break, he could make a (weak) case that you were violating corporate rules regarding "objectionable/controversial websites", but this is usually limited to corporate computers. My advice is to update your resume and put in an application at Publix. The benefits are 100% better and the management is professional. (I am not an employee or shareholder of Publix Supermarkets.)

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

I have my own internet through a spring datacard. I don't think he could tell me not to visit here unless he personally doesn't like ATS.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Office 4256

I really like Publix because they start you with good pay and many other benefits. It just irks me that he truly believes he can say that and get away with it.

+23 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I am surprised nobody has told you this yet. GO ABOVE HIS HEAD! Report him, his actions, and the threat to the district supervisor above him. Make sure to explain that this is a family friendly website that does not even allow dirty language and that the incident happened on your own time.

Florida is an "at will" state meaning they can fire you for any reason so long as it is not illegal. Ideological discrimination could be considered illegal. You can not be discriminated against because of your political views. You have the right to visit this website on your off time with out fear of reprisal.

Report him, Win Dixie seems like a good company to me. Frankly I am surprised. If you do get fired over this post it and send me a U2U so I can be sure to get it. I don't want to shop at a grocery store that will fire its employees over visiting a website like this.

Florida Workers Rights

[edit on 14-3-2010 by Flakey]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

What!! WOW! I am always on ATS at work and I work in a Gentleman's Club! lol If I am not on my laptop I am on via my iPhone and believe it or not I get asked questions about what I am reading by co-workers and customers. I have had some awesome conversations at work because of ATS and with the customers that come in from NASA it's even more entertaining and interesting. I dont believe they can fire you for reading ATS. It's your right and sounds like your boss is a bit nosey. I would go above his head and talk to his boss or email corporate. He cant fire you for this!

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Flakey

I know Win Dixie takes out life insurance on their employees and when they die they cash in on them.

[edit on 3/14/10 by Misoir]

link   
reply to post by Flakey

double post.

link   
reply to post by Flakey

triple post

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The most important thing you need to do is know your rights.

1. Get a copy of the Company's IT Policy. Some companies have rules about what can and cannot be viewed while using their network. Yes, you were on your own personal notebook. But, you were using THEIR network, so their rules apply. Review their policy and ensure you are following it to the letter. Otherwise, you don't have a leg to stand on.

2. Find out if the state you live in is what is called an 'At Will State'. If it is, (such as Oklahoma), that means they can terminate you 'At Will' with no reason at all. However, that doesn't mean you don't still have recourse for a wrongful termination suit.

Your best course of action is to simply find another job. But, we all know that's near impossible these days. However, should you choose to 'fight the good fight' then make sure you are following 'Company Policy' to the letter. If your boss continues with his 'warning' then show him the Company Policy that governs Internet Usage on breaks, acceptable and unacceptable websites, ect. Inform him that according to the Company Policy you are doing nothing wrong and request a 'written warning'. While this may go on your record it can be used later should things become Legally entangled.

From then on, do NOTHING to provoke him. Document everything your told to do and conversations he has with you. Especially ones that stray from the normal instructions that may be construed as 'punishment' for not doing what you were told.

Then, should you be terminated, you'll have all the evidence and documentation to back up a wrongful termination suit. But, remember, YOU have to be 100% clean and w/out fault, follow the rules, no talk back, no threats or showing of anger or violence or you lose everything.

Just my 2 cents. I hate people that think they can bully their employees and get away with it...makes me sick.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
This supervisor is on a power trip, You say unemployment is quite high so i assume he is taking advantage of his position,
I am not trying to encourage you to break the law in anyway, (wink)
But you know that dodgy shelve or lose flooring, Or the fact he has not give you a manual handling or backcare course...
Enough said matey

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I think I would find somewhere else to sit during lunch to where you would be able to see him coming. As the other posters have stated, you need to find out what your rights are. Call an attorney, they are required by law to provide so many hours free consultation per year.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join