It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Kindness Contagious?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Is Kindness Contagious?

health.msn.com

Acts of kindness spread rapidly, and it takes only a few people acting cooperatively to influence dozens of others, U.S. researchers report.

...This spirit of generosity persists in people who've experienced it.

"You don't go back to being your 'old selfish self,'" (says) study co-author James Fowler...

...The study was published online in this week's issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.healthfinder.gov
www.usnews.com
www.intelligencer.ca
www.sthuberts.org

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
It's the "Golden Rule" - studied, verified and validated.

The energy we put into the world is magnified. It's picked up, passed on and it spreads like wildfire.

Single acts of kindness generate a domino effect - that grows exponentially by tripling. ...Kindness spreads from one to three to nine people, then eighteen, thirty-six and onwards.

What we do counts. What we say makes a difference.

Nice to know, isn't it?

health.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I wish that case were true with some of my friends...

I am constantly giving and don't request anything back and my friends just seem to keep taking without question!

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Explanation for the contagiousness might be oxytocin, which is:

Oxytocin (pronounced /ˌɒksɨˈtoʊsɪn/) (sold as Pitocin, Syntocinon) is a mammalian hormone that acts primarily as a neurotransmitter in the brain. Also known as alpha-hypophamine (α–hypophamine), oxytocin has the distinction of being the very first polypeptide hormone to be sequenced and synthesized biochemically by Vincent du Vigneaud et al. in 1953. Oxytocin is best known for its roles in female reproduction: 1) it is released in large amounts after distension of the cervix and vagina during labor, and 2) after stimulation of the nipples, facilitating birth and breastfeeding, respectively. Recent studies have begun to investigate oxytocin's role in various behaviors, including orgasm, social recognition, pair bonding, anxiety, trust, love, and maternal behaviors.

I read an article from a science magazine that excretion of oxytocin in human brains increases whenever we experience nice social emotions such as trust, love and confidence.

Who knows

-v

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Kindness contagious ?

In my experience it can be. Depends of the individuals involved. Some are evolved sufficiently to be postively influenced by others' kindnesses. And some exploit that kindness and consider the kind to be 'weak and stupid'

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I have set aside money that is to be used to give to street people, winos, bums and those just down on their luck.

There but for the Grace of God go I.

I also leave coins in places where only kids would look. Conceptual Art Treasure.

I also have been taken advantage of by "friends" and it is a challenge not to become resentful, cynical and jaded but as I look back on my life; I also wasn't perfect and at times took advantage of my friends and family.

We Learn........

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freq Of Nature

I am constantly giving and don't request anything back and my friends just seem to keep taking without question!

I give everything to my cousin but he doesn't for me aswell and it really bothered me but Iv learned that a LEO will always think about him self and a pisces will give anything.

And yes kindness is contagious, on youtube just resonding kindly to an agressive someoen will sometimes totaly turn his behaviour around.

I had the exact same thing.

When i was commenting really agressive and bad someone reply'd with a very peacefull comment and right then I noticed what kind of an ass-H I was, and Im now keeping the circle going by doing the same.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The old adage of doing a good deed has almost been forgotten by many, if not most people.

It doesn't have to be materialistic either for that matter. But maybe helping a person to change a tire, or as simple reaching an item too high for a little old lady to in the grocery store.

I am one who still subscribes to such beliefs as well as the fundamental belief of What goes Around, Comes Around.

Thoughts are things and are comprised of energy. If one thinks of positive things then it is conveyed telepathically to others.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I would like to think so. The world would be a much better place if kindness and generosity were a little more pervasive. It's too bad it wasn't as popular a notion as being popular or successful or a go getter or getting educated.

The pay it forward concept seems relevant
:

Watch them grow!!

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
It might not work on everyone right away and some people it will take longer to show but I think people treat others the way they are usually treated. So if people took a little more time to be patient and understanding of other people then we'd all be much happier.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Thanks for your comments everyone.

...Sorry for taking so long, the thread got moved and I forgot about it.

QUESTION

Does anyone know of any studies that look at "negatives" in terms of exponential spread/growth?

...I know individual and cultural abuse is recognized as spreading vertically as well as horizontally - but don't know of any work to quantify the effects....

In any event - it's great to know that kindness is contagious, not just war.

...SeeingBlue said,

"It might not work on everyone...."

...I suspect the energy behind the kindness needs to be real - not manipulative. ...In my experience, people respond to real motivation/emotion - and manipulation just breeds more manipulation. Make sense?

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
the point is that what is free truly is always itself reality positive life, so others expressions infront dont count, it is not that it is contagious at all but it is just that others see it and act neutral geniunly as they see no relation with their lives

that is where the misjudgment comes from, what you dont know you would judge it according to what you are as a reference to what is not against but else

so not opposition but else, so inferior for inferiors and superior for superiors free too

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Just to offer a flip side...
Mobster wiseguy Anthony (Anthony Elmont) Mannone was found of the saying

"No good deed goes unpunished"!

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Is Kindness Contagious?

I sure hope so!

Basically, we should all try to be role-models of kindness....especially in front of kids. I'm very lucky to have a job that requires kindness to others. Studies and research can come to any conclusion they like, but I believe *most* people accept kindness is important. It's relevant to self-esteem and society at large.

SnF for a positive thread.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freq Of Nature

Real giving "pays forward," dontcha think?

...At least, that's what the study seems to prove.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Late one night I built a sculpture in a park of stuff that I didn't need or use expressly for the purpose of people helping themselves.

Old guitars, spare tires, tools, auto parts, clothes, books, gardening equipment, CDs, DVDs, Tapes, beads and cheap jewelry, electronic gear, skateboards, ski's, poles, all good usable stuff, no junk

I hid in the van and made a film of the people discovering the stuff and loading up in the morning. Submitted the film to festivals...conceptual art, fun and beneficial to all. Less clutter for me and a film and stuff for folks.

I guess I could have taken the stuff to Goodwill but Artists make Art.

Remember.....Art saves Lives!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Late one night I built a sculpture in a park of stuff that I didn't need or use expressly for the purpose of people helping themselves.

Old guitars, spare tires, tools, auto parts, clothes, books, gardening equipment, CDs, DVDs, Tapes, beads and cheap jewelry, electronic gear, skateboards, ski's, poles, all good usable stuff, no junk

I hid in the van and made a film of the people discovering the stuff and loading up in the morning. Submitted the film to festivals...conceptual art, fun and beneficial to all. Less clutter for me and a film and stuff for folks.

I guess I could have taken the stuff to Goodwill but Artists make Art.

Remember.....Art saves Lives!

Big star for you!

I LOVE that project - my kind of art! ...Conceptually, reminiscent of Tibetan sand-painting, with a life-saving twist.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Great topic for discussion

Every emotion is collective consciousness. The main problem that has occurred, particularly over the last 50 years is huge community division, which has caused a general lack of trust and increasing motive suspicion, especially in the western populous.

It is still possible to whip up an angry mob, via collectively induced thoughts from manipulated negative agendas. It's parallel opposite wields the same power, but rarely do you hear about a mass positivity event.

Tells you a lot about human orientation/general social manipulation and why the MSM globally, all focus 75% on negative news dosing.

One very good example is;

if you go out in a bad mood, frowning, whinging etc... you'll attract people in exactly the same state of mind, compounding your own state.

If you go out in a good mood and 'smile' at strangers, shop assistants etc... most will usually give same back as a smile is irresistible to normal human senses of positive emotion. Much research has been conducted into a hive mentality, Oxytocin effect being a major area recently.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Kindness is not only contagious, it is VERY contagious. So be careful of your powers, lol!

But it must be distinguished between Service and True Kindness.

In service, we expect something in return for something done. Example, a waiter expecting a tip for his excellent service. After payment, it is over. The other owes you no further obligation, and you go away happy with your effort, or sad if it is not returned.

In True Kindness, we expect nothing in return, even if we gave away $1million to the poor anonymously or help the elderly across the road.

No national media coverage, no pedestal made of you, absolutely nothing. You did it on your own free will, and go away quietly, but satisfied that within you, you had been able to rise above the common greed filled and apathetic common people, to care, within your ability.

You will leave this planet knowing you had done something wonderful to another, something rare in this world. It will be remembered by those you touched, either immediately or some later date, and will pass it on.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Thank you Velvet1 and SeekerofTruth101.

I was heartened to see this book in the news, The Friends We Keep: Unleashing Christianity’s Compassion for Animals - it talks about how "God’s mandate of kindness and care for the less fortunate includes the animal world."

...Seems many "Christians" today focus on judgment, hate and vengeance - not the kind of Christianity I grew up with... So I was glad to hear about this.

We reap what we sow. Consider the ecological degradation caused by monoculture fish farming when badly practiced. Likewise, inhumane animal treatment inside ‘factory farms’ and slaughterhouses affects consumer health. The disappearance of animal habitats and rain forests is a global scourge.

At the heart of this is the mistreatment of animals. Hobgood-Oster poses that Christianity offers moral guidance to address these issues. Why a focus on Christianity? As the largest religious tradition, with two billion practitioners, Christians can affect change by applying the workings of their faith to voice concern and take action.

A new voice of Christian reason? A return to Jesus' style Christianity? ...we can only hope.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join