It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uh oh..Lookout...Many quakes on the Juan De Fuca Plate...Oregon

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by gallopinghordes

When the clay becomes saturated with water it becomes very unstable;

This quote just had me busting out laughing. Seattle's been over-saturated with water since before it was a name on the map. Let's not get hysterical people.

peace

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Hehe, I guess JustMike and Phage are brothers.

Thanks JM for all that info... Hopefully as you say these are not uncommon, and for now they appear to have subsided.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
In light of the growing active volcano some 300miles SW of portland which is recieving a lot of attention. As a denizen of the central oregon coast I have kept abreast of earthquake "swarm" activity. That things are building to a crescendo is without doubt.
For just over a year I lived in a house on a cliff directly south of heceta head.
During that time i witnessed intense military activity including large crane ships depositing "items" on the ocean floor.As well as two new homeland security bases created within 60 miles of each other.
So in this matter it is not just the whim of the earth we need consider but also the wants and whims of those who control the military.
The PNW is a military test zone and I personally have witnessed experiments with energy weapons on ships and seen a hundred fold increase in military presence. That an earthquake is imminant is a foregone conclusion what is vague is if it will truly be a natural occurance.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Just a sidenote.

Take precautions - Live life normally but watch the skies for auroras. It's a sign that the solar winds( highly charged ionic particles) have penetrated through our atmosphere and bombarding the ground. As you are close to the plates, there will only be minutes before the shift happens.

I may be wrong, and hope to be wrong, but data reocrds around the world is showing otherwise, so take care folks and spread the word.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by N.of norml
In light of the growing active volcano some 300miles SW of portland which is recieving a lot of attention.

Can you please provide a link to that news story? I have never heard about this. I was familiar with the bulging of one the Three Sisters moutains in Eastern Oregon but I never heard of one happing south of Portland.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
We have been following these quakes along with others over in Quake Watch 2010. IMO these new quakes along, within and around the JdF plate boundry began with in January 10, 2010 with 6.5 quake. IMO it appears that this 6.5 quake triggered along with all the other larger quakes of late the JdF plate into motion. This is very distressing indeed.

Here are the first two trigger quakes

Magnitude 6.5
Date-Time Sunday, January 10, 2010 at 00:27:39 UTC
Saturday, January 09, 2010 at 04:27:39 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 40.652°N, 124.692°W
Depth 29.3 km (18.2 miles)
Region OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

Magnitude 5.9
Date-Time Thursday, February 04, 2010 at 20:20:21 UTC
Thursday, February 04, 2010 at 12:20:21 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 40.412°N, 124.961°W
Depth 23.6 km (14.7 miles)
Region OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
Distances 58 km (36 miles) W (280°) from Petrolia, CA
62 km (38 miles) WSW (253°) from Ferndale, CA
72 km (44 miles) WSW (255°) from Fortuna, CA
79 km (49 miles) WSW (238°) from Eureka, CA
364 km (226 miles) NW (306°) from Sacramento, CA

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace

Originally posted by N.of norml
In light of the growing active volcano some 300miles SW of portland which is recieving a lot of attention.

Can you please provide a link to that news story? I have never heard about this. I was familiar with the bulging of one the Three Sisters moutains in Eastern Oregon but I never heard of one happing south of Portland.

www.encyclopedia.com...

WASHINGTON - A series of underwater volcanoes has begun rising from the sea floor off the coast of Oregon, researchers said yesterday.

The volcanoes have appeared during the past 10 years, forming a line about 300 miles off the coast, according to Dr. Robert Embley of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory.

Several of the volcanoes are more than 100 feet high and a half-mile wide, according to Embley and researchers from Oregon State University.

Embley said the the underwater volcanoes may be related …

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by N.of norml

Thanks for the link N.of normal.

When looking at Google earth it looks like 300 miles off shore from the Oregon coast would be the Juan de Fuca plate subduction zone. This is where the JdF meets the North American plate.

The Tectonic plates of the World

en.wikipedia.org...

I guess where ever two plates collide there should be some moutain building. However, it looks like the North American plate should be moving away from the JdF plate in a southeast direction. That would imply they are not colliding.

It looks like the JdF plate is a small fish in a big pond when you see it compared to the rest of the world plates. I wonder if it's going to be squished out of existance in a few million years.

[edit on 13-3-2010 by lostinspace]

[edit on 13-3-2010 by lostinspace]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Here's a question from a neophyte. Are there any examples of subduction zones where land was engulfed? The photos in the news feature tears as if the earth is expanding.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

If Phage and I are in some way related, then I can assure you that this sad news has not been revealed to me.

Okay, I've presented some info in rather Phage-like fashion, which is based on fact and on observations by people more learned than I, but I feel it's better to state what is known, especially as you asked for any reassurance. This region tends to get mostly smaller quakes but mag 4's and bigger are truly not that rare.

However, I have to admit that this fault zone is a worry and frankly it's the one that concerns me the most -- more so than the San Andreas Fault (or fault system, as it's in fact many interconnected faults) -- or even the New Madrid. That's one reason I keep an eye on it and study about it and have done for some time. That might not sound so reassuring but to be honest, just because I know that this region has little quakes pretty often it doesn't make me any less nervous about it, especially for the people I know who live in that region. The simple fact is the longer it takes until the next megathrust quake happens there, the more powerful it's likely to be. That's just the way these things work, when plate systems are still moving as they are right in that area.

Oh, here's a little map from Colorado.edu which shows the region and the relative plate movements: [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bdba3a52b506.gif[/atsimg]

Mike

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea

Originally posted by dgtempe

will there be an earthquake on that day ?

Cleverbot:

I have no clue. I've seen some crazy stuff happen, but I do know if there is an assasination it won't be caused by me.

Spooky stuff. Don't know why the 16th strikes you like that. But I have always been a bit superstituous about the 15th. You know, those famous last words..."Beware the Ides of March."

I posted in the "a strage feeling thread" about a dream I had pointing out March 15th as something happening. Just thought I'd throw it into the mix. My feeling was earthquake as well.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

If you take a look at my post just above this one you'll get a better picture of where the subduction zone is. It's in near the coast, not 300 miles offshore. The other side of the plate is the Juan de Fuca ridge. That is not subducting.

The movements in this regions are quite complex. Even it appears that the Juan de Fuca and the Nth American plates are moving in much the same direction, a collision can still occur if the Juan de Fuca's movement relative to the Nth American is greater in that direction. It's not quite a "head on" collision but the effects of past events are available to geologists and have been studied for some time.

Scientists have little doubt that the plates are colliding, and that the Juan de Fuca is being pushed under the Nth American plate. That's why it's referred to as a subduction zone. The mountains in the near-coastal (onshore) region there are believed to have been created or at least added to by this subduction process.

The latest observations of new, undersea volcanoes are a bit of a worry. They will probably help to expand that local region and put more pressure on the subduction zone.

reply to post by silo13

I don't see anyone getting hysterical. It is a fact that some of the ground in the Seattle region could become unstable if subject to serious shaking in a major quake. This would especially be so if the ground is sandy, and we know this because it's happened there before. The fact that the area's been over-saturated with water for a long time just makes liquefaction a greater likelihood and a bigger threat.

Here is a report from UCLA Berkeley, that details soil liquefaction and ground failure following the Mag 6.8 Nisqually Earthquake of Feb, 2001.

Soil liquefaction is always a factor of concern during and after larger quakes, in areas where the soil is susceptible to such effects. Buildings can literally sink into the ground or simply topple over. This is why such studies are done, to identify high-risk areas of soil liquefaction and provide data to develop building codes and zoning rules that might alleviate some of the risks.

Mike

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

So I'm assuming you made your account just to tell us that?
Sorry.
Don't believe ya.
Pics or it didn't happen.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I hadnt seen this, but i am predicting a huge event in the Oregon, Washington state area for Tuesday the 16th.

That date has been on my mind for a long time.

I hope it doesn't hit Washington the 50 ish year old mostly wood former hotel wouldn't be to earth quake friendly. I lose confidence in a building when you can hear the upstairs neighbors cats walking around.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdJohnAdams

I have nothing to prove to you or any one who can use google. as for my accnt...grasp troll, grasp. LOL
N.

To those who wish more than the news bleep to google from here is somehing from the first page off a google search of oregon undersea vlocanoes

www.greatdreams.com...

[edit on 13-3-2010 by N.of norml]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Thanks for the link N.of norm.

I looked up a number of web sites on the Axial Seamount, Cobb-Eickelberg Seamount chain and the Cobb hotspot and learned a great deal about the activity going on in the Juan de Fuca Ridge.

Here's the location of the Axial Seamount in Google maps.
Axial Seamount

It looks like a distorted alien face when you zoom out.

[edit on 14-3-2010 by lostinspace]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

The JdF plate has subducted under the N. American Plate creating what is refereed to the Cascadia subduction zone. As to Mountains you are asking about, that would not happen in subduction what does happen is volcano's. The result of the JdF plate subducted under the N. American plate has resulted in the formation of the Cascadia Volcano's which are in a line from Washington down to N. California. This explains the process better as I have not yet finished my coffee and am rendered pretty much useless until that occurs.

In the above link it states: In 1999, a group of Continuous Global Positioning System sites registered a brief reversal of motion of approximately 2 centimeters (0.8 inches) over a 50 kilometer by 300 kilometer (about 30 mile by 200 mile) area. The movement was the equivalent of a 6.7 magnitude earthquake.[5] The motion did not trigger an earthquake and was only detectable as silent, non-earthquake seismic signatures.[6]

Is this what we saw the other day? Is this why the Seismo's didn't register?

[edit on 14-3-2010 by Anmarie96]

So, maybe it would be better to take a look at the volcano's to see a reaction. This is a look at Mt. St. Helens seismo, which shows activity.

[edit on 14-3-2010 by Anmarie96]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tk2dsky

Well a recent CME will hit the earth around this time -17th, we will see if it follows the recent big quake trend.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Magnitude 4.6
Date-Time Monday, March 15, 2010 at 12:37:51 UTC
Monday, March 15, 2010 at 03:37:51 AM at epicenter

Location 44.204°N, 129.262°W
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region OFF THE COAST OF OREGON
Distances 408 km (254 miles) WNW (289°) from Bandon, OR
409 km (254 miles) WNW (285°) from Barview, OR
411 km (255 miles) W (270°) from Yachats, OR
491 km (305 miles) W (274°) from Eugene, OR
542 km (337 miles) WSW (257°) from Portland, OR

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 10.3 km (6.4 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST=121, Nph=121, Dmin=425.5 km, Rmss=1.45 sec, Gp=187°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=7
Source U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center:
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver

Event ID us2010twau

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Yeah, thanks for posting that new 4.6 quake. It occurred in the same spot as these last bigger ones.:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Looks like we have another mini swarm going.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join