It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So now we are told that computers CAN read our thoughts.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
While I am inclined to disbelieve this, from what I have learned in my studies as a student of psychology, this is the real deal.
A lesser known study correctly correlated certain brain activity with certain images relative to computer predictions, but it was not so bold as to state that computers are able to read an individual's thoughts.

Here is a teaser from the article:

WASHINGTON (AFP) – A scan of brain activity can effectively read a person's mind, researchers said Thursday. British scientists from University College London found they could differentiate brain activity linked to different memories and thereby identify thought patterns by using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI). The evidence suggests researchers can tell which memory of a past event a person is recalling from the pattern of their brain activity alone. "We've been able to look at brain activity for a specific episodic memory -- to look at actual memory traces," said senior author of the study, Eleanor Maguire. "We found that our memories are definitely represented in the hippocampus. Now that we've seen where they are, we have an opportunity to understand how memories are stored and how they may change through time."

Link to sourced article.

We are at the precipice. The changes that we will see will only accelerate and I am beginning to see the idea of transhumanism reinforced as acceptable in pop culture motifs.

Good luck everybody.

[edit on 3/11/2010 by Josephus23]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Well, while interesting, the implications of this particular study are actually fairly limited. They can tell which particular memory from a previously established set you are accessing, and only for people who have played along.

The way that this technology works is that you let them look at your brain while think about, say, playing tennis, then playing golf, then playing football. Then, later on, they say, "call to mind one of those three memories we worked with before." And they can tell you which of the three you are remembering.

In the study, Maguire and her colleagues Martin Chadwick, Demis Hassabis, and Nikolaus Weiskopf showed 10 people each three very short films before brain scanning. Each movie featured a different actress and a fairly similar everyday scenario.

The researchers scanned the participants' brains while the participants were asked to recall each of the films. The researchers then ran the imaging data through a computer algorithm designed to identify patterns in the brain activity associated with memories for each of the films.

Finally, they showed that those patterns could be identified to accurately predict which film a given person was thinking about when he or she was scanned.

It's not like they could take someone who hasn't been a part of the study, plug them into the machine, and figure out what they are thinking about. The technique they describe only works with individuals and for specific memories for which they have an established baseline that can be used for comparison.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Duplicate deleted.

[edit on 3/11/10 by OnceReturned]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

I probably employed a bit too much hyperbole.
I was not in any way stating that this was the next coming of Christ or anything.

I should have been more informative in the OP, but the eventual application of this technology is the driving point to this thread.

At the rate that technology currently advances (a rough estimate with a ton of confounding variables), I think that Ray Kurzweil predicted that we will have a 3 dimensional full computer map of the human brain that we can then replicate by the year 2025.

The intention of this thread is more about our advance toward the technological singularity than the story itself, and it was intended to reflect that we are much closer to it than we are further away from it. (the singularity that is)

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Josephus23

Good, I get to escape being called 'crazy, for a few weeks, maybe.

I read a police training manual once. It used to be that they watched your eyes. If you look left you are lying, right, then you are reading an actual memory that is in your brain...or vice versa. They had a section on 'try-sexuals'...who would try anything. Then they had a poster with the crossed out 'do not touch' symbol crossing out a syringe, a piece of poo, and a thin person with an angry expression on his face.

Of course they can. In a utopia, there would be no withheld info anywhere. You'd know just what you were getting either through psychic impressions, or voluntarily, because society may just trend that way as a means of tossing off gov., or by force. Unfortunately we chose the latter. Remember when the jews invented a personal voice stress lie detector? It was just a portable polygraph. Since people who are good at lying can beat this stuff, they decided to perfect it a little more, by using mkultra tech to market more items. Let me tell ya...the future sucks. Welcome to the ever widening injustice chasm! As if the handlers of these tools will be worthy of making such judgments! Just because they can does not mean that they ought to!

I have to wait for some valid opposition rules, at the moment. The machine is moving too fast. At any rate, all they are telling you is just enough that the branchesof this same technology will be accepted by the public and therefore justified. The public will buy in to it, somehow. This is exactly why tptb are spraying us with poison, jabbing us with time lapse death, and selling lies on all 96% jewish owned media outlets. Remember when they sold us the one that is 'whatever kills you'? It was that which greenlighted all these nefarious events. It is the same with electronic weaponry. We don't realize it yet, but we been had.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by davidmann

I am not one to blame the Jews for our problems.
I will state that I am highly critical of the policies of Israel, but I do not think that it is merely the Jews.

They tend to be the historical scapegoat, and their cause has been hijacked by the Mystery Schools of Babylon.
Being Jewish merely means that one belongs to a religion.

This group of Jews understands the problem just as well as you or I.

The Mystery Schools are humanist luciferians. They believe that we are here to rebuild the Tower of Babel, which will take us to Heaven where we will become Gods.

Of course that is all allegory and metaphor.

The tower is technology, and with it we will assimilate and become trans-human, which will allow us to theoretically live forever.

But all that comes at a price because nothing is free.

This technology is just the tip of the iceberg and it's coming right at us.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Perceptual experience consists of an enormous number of possible states. Previous fMRI studies have predicted a perceptual state by classifying brain activity into prespecified categories. Constraint-free visual image reconstruction is more challenging, as it is impractical to specify brain activity for all possible images. In this study, we reconstructed visual images by combining local image bases of multiple scales, whose contrasts were independently decoded from fMRI activity by automatically selecting relevant voxels and exploiting their correlated patterns. Binary-contrast, 10 × 10-patch images (2100 possible states) were accurately reconstructed without any image prior on a single trial or volume basis by measuring brain activity only for several hundred random images. Reconstruction was also used to identify the presented image among millions of candidates. The results suggest that our approach provides an effective means to read out complex perceptual states from brain activity while discovering information representation in multivoxel patterns.

Link

There was a link awhile ago showing a digital representation of a brain scan when someone was shown the word "NEURON"...I sadly only have the picture though...will link in the report when I find it...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a8b42c33d0e0.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on Thu, 11 Mar 2010 20:15:59 -0600 by MemoryShock]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Memory Shock....

Good to see your words.

Check your gmail account.

I just sent you a ton of information.

That is a good find that you have just posted. I will soak it in and comment soon....

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Josephus23

I am not one to blame the Jews for our problems.
I will state that I am highly critical of the policies of Israel, but I do not think that it is merely the Jews.

They tend to be the historical scapegoat, and their cause has been hijacked by the Mystery Schools of Babylon.
Being Jewish merely means that one belongs to a religion.

This group of Jews understands the problem just as well as you or I.

The Mystery Schools are humanist luciferians. They believe that we are here to rebuild the Tower of Babel, which will take us to Heaven where we will become Gods.

Of course that is all allegory and metaphor.

The tower is technology, and with it we will assimilate and become trans-human, which will allow us to theoretically live forever.

But all that comes at a price because nothing is free.

This technology is just the tip of the iceberg and it's coming right at us.

It takes a certain sleight of hand to present the invisible side of dangerous, Constitution shattering technology, and you can count on anything coming out of jewish spheres of influence to present them as such. Let us remember all the films that were like setting yourself down before a machine gun in order to view. Forrest Gump, Philadelphia, over and over again, because woven in them is the reminder that you agreed to the terms. I need not tire myself googling the hundreds of cultural artifacts that attest to this. They are there, in place, and the rest follows. This is but one example of how hollywood gangstered a'sensation' for profit, regardless of the recklessness they embraced, with no thought to the repercussions new technology would allow along these same vectors. (more than likely they knew and approved).

They pick and choose as if by some innate fascist coexist instinct, and it affects us all.

The new key words are 'race does not exist'. We are all the same. Now when I see this thought expressed in a blog, I suspect a new member, or at the very least, one who is taking a cue. The perfect melting pot for a new world order. Race does not exist. We are all the same.... At any rate, I don't believe a nwo is inevitable. America may be in the crucible of temptation, but they did awaken a sleeping giant putting her there.

I would like to remind myself to comment on cfl lightbulbs, and the mandated end of incandescents. There is a very important reason for this move, and I should like to present my thoughts. It is along the same lines of shadows first creating the final image.

I will add that I would not be happy if, say, all media were controlled by, say, Christians. I would likely be immediately remanded to a mental institution for refusing to accept that all life forms outside of Earth were 'demonic'. Getting to this point would be a lot of fun too, let me tell you right off. Every sinister thing that tech could come up with would be slithered right under our noses, with it being 'proof of God's judgment' etc. When did the Christians ever not hump for anything that nwo has pulled? Aids™, 'global warming', and so on.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by davidmann]

[edit on 12-3-2010 by davidmann]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   

You are 100% correct regarding Hollywood and their role in what has become our socially engineered society.
We live in a society where the framework is essentially a propaganda matrix.

This is a a reactionary fascist result however and not revolutionary nor premeditated. Individuals with power saw an opportunity and took advantage of the opportunity.

Most people see life as their next meal and rely on very concrete reasoning skills. Life is very black and white to these people and they are more easily lead because they fear freedom.
True individuality isolates an individual, and it can be horribly frightening to someone who is not used to the idea of making their own decisions.

Erich Fromm referred to this as the escape from freedom, and he stated that it is achieved through what he called automaton conformity.

I have heard others say that two types of people exist in the world:
power people and brain people.

The brain people create what the power people desire.

This was the way of evolution, but with technology we are decommissioning ourselves from the process of natural selection.

Who is gonna make the cut?

Technology has increased the ability of corporations to cater to any and all of our most basic desires, but consequently keeps us limited to what only they can give. They want to own us. Literally.

[edit on 3/12/2010 by Josephus23]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Josephus23

We are at the precipice. The changes that we will see will only accelerate and I am beginning to see the idea of transhumanism reinforced as acceptable in pop culture motifs.

Good luck everybody.

Now that we've seen where they are, we have an opportunity to understand how memories are stored and how they may change through time.

Precipice? You mean like a memory augmentation that might slowly become mandatory, in a future society, much like cellphones have become at ours for example?

I think that biomedical chips will be coming first, regulating diseases and drag dosages and will be some form of trans humanism but yet again there is where the lines are or will be drawn, just before the Big Brother chip At least this is the consensus among people believing in the Apocalypse.
This technology should be simpler and much sooner available than any memory augmentation/storing altering tech. etc.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by spacebot]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by spacebot

I honestly do not know which way it is going to go spacebot, and I am not making any predictions.

The world is either much more frightening or much more enlightening than what nearly all people see.
I feel fairly confident stating that.

I am only commenting on what I see around me and the constant subtle cultural reinforcements regarding individual privacy and self-determination.

A slow process of changing our behaviors and attitudes towards these two aspects of the American identity appears to be in process.
Yes, I am 100% referring to future shock.

This is coming, in one form or another.

Threads like this don't get much attention because these ideas are too frightening for most people to realize.
I posted another thread that breaks down the behavioral conditioning techniques developed by BF Skinner, which are proven to work, and are currently employed in the design of video games. The gamers are literally put directly into a skinner box.

This is hardly different than the modern media propaganda matrix.

Modern social engineers have slowly built and imprisoned we the people in a metaphorical skinner box with the social matrix that surrounds us by using rewards and punishments.

Slowly the state is creeping into our lives. At first by proxy and we allow it. Paychecks, Taxes, Audits, Statutes and Codes that are all completely meaningless because the money is fiat and the crimes are victimless, but yet we allow them to control us with these silent weapons.

And reward us with monopoly money.

Soon it will no longer be a choice and it hardly is now.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Just to reinforce my statement on the subtle cultural reinforcement of trans-humanist values, any readers should pay attention to the advert currently on ATS regarding the movie "Repo Man"

Subtle cultural reinforcement of trans-humanism.

And it is so blatant.

We are being prepared. Make no mistake about it.

[edit on 3/13/2010 by Josephus23]

top topics

join