It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stock Up on Incandescent Light Bulbs: In Fact, Buy a Lifetime Supply of Them.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
There is a conspiracy in place to ruin out environment in the name of "saving energy". Or increase our carbon footprint in the name of lowering CO2 emissions (like building hybrid cars with massive lithium ion batteries).

Apparently Congress has passed a bill to phase out normal light bulbs by 2014. insanity!

www.prisonplanet.com...

Our government’s”Green Revolution” is another covert attack on our collective health and environment, largely using their mythical global warming hoax to do so.

Stock Up on Incandescent Light Bulbs: In Fact, Buy a Lifetime Supply of Them.

The new Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) bulbs are a perfect example of this kind of subterfuge. While claiming these new CFL bulbs will reduce carbon emissions,”our” Congress passed legislation stating these new light bulbs must completely replace our everyday incandescent light bulbs by 2014, without telling us of the serious dangers to health and environment, that these mandated bulbs pose.

Most of these new CFLs will make people sick, by emitting radio frequency radiation that contributes to dirty electricity, that can cause migraines, dizziness, nausea, confusion, fatigue, skin irritations, and eye strain.

But far more importantly, CFLs are loaded with deadly mercury, one of the most toxic elements on Earth. In fact, all CFL bulbs contain – at least – four to five milligrams of mercury, about 200 times the amount of mercury in a flu vaccine shot. There is enough mercury in each CFL bulb to contaminate 6,000 gallons of clean water. To break one of these CFL bulbs is to risk ruining the health of one’s entire family, or office staff, with enough released atmospheric mercury to best require the expensive, professional services of a Haz/Mat Removal Team.

Believe not the”clean-up” methods for broken CFL bulbs offered by those in the mainstream media, which tell us to open a window, then leave the area of the broken bulb for 15 minutes; then return with duct tape to pick-up the broken glass.

Then what is one to do? Put the broken glass and duct tape into a glass jar and screw on a tight lid.

What is one to do with the glass jar? Take it to a special toxic dump.

Where are such dumps? Check your local listings.

All of the above, of course, is sheer nonsense. Want proof? Ask your dentist about the Haz/Mat teams that come into their offices to remove their old collection of dental amalgams, which dentists keep in little lead lined boxes.

All Americans will be well advised to practice a”mercury escape plan” in the case of an accidental breakage of one of these CFL bulbs: Grab your cell phone, babies, dogs, cats, and parakeets (if they aren’t already dead), and get well away from your house. Call a Haz/Mat company to completely clean your house before re-entering it. Such are the serious dangers of mercury.

And our environment? This is where mercury laden CFL bulbs do their most serious damage to everyone of us. This is the same environment that our hordes of”Greenies” are so concerned about dying from global warming. But unknown to our greenie friends, already there are hundreds of millions of disposed CFL bulbs that have contaminated personal garbage cans, fleets of garbage trucks (spreading their toxicity near and far), and garbage disposal sites, that are doing irreparable damage to our ground water, except when such garbage is burnt; then, mercury is released into the very air we all breathe. You see there are precious few toxic dump sites in the world equipped to handle mercury, the most dangerous element in the world, after radio-active materials.

With over 100 million American households, and tens of millions of other lighted facilities, all over our country, and with each of them disposing of even just one CFL bulb a month … can anyone imagine how much mercury will poison our disposal dumps, our ground water, our air, our lungs, and our entire bodies. If one did not know better, mercury is the perfect chemical/weapon for genocidal madmen: Mercury is in dental amalgams, vaccines, corn syrup light bulbs, and who knows what else.

Are our lawmakers simply without a shred of common horse sense, or are they driven by a sinister power, intent on not only destroying our environment, but our very lives.

In any case, something inhuman drove our CFL horror, and is driving the”Green Revolution,” and its off-shoots of global warming, and the entire climate change circus of death.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I really don't see CFLs lasting all that long. HID is already making a HUGE impact on the market. They are solid state, smaller, and brighter than CFLs and will generally last longer than the devices they are housed in.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
i dunno man, do you think the world really is that fragile. what about asbestos and lead based paint and mercury thermometers etc. the world hasn't come to an end yet. seems like you're stretching the severity of it all just a little.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I do agree that fluorescent lamps are potentially dangerous. And the idea of mercury anywhere near me also greatly bothers me lol.

en.wikipedia.org...

Here is some info on gas discharge lamps, down near the bottom you can see a chart of different types of gases used for various reasons. Some are obviously safer than others.

I do agree that we should make wiser choices and utilize safer alternatives, as you can see there are old, current, and emerging alternatives. Who knows what some brilliant scientist is inventing right now...

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...(element)

[edit on 11-3-2010 by muzzleflash]

[edit on 11-3-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Do you really think that normal lightbulbs should be illegal to sell???? Are they detrimental to the environment?? NO!! They simply use a little more electricity, which you have to pay for anyway!

What happened to "land of the free"?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
LED is even more "green" than HID or CFL. But, I hate hearing the "Mercury Argument." Of course Mercury is poisonous if ingested in Liquid form, but as a kid, we often played with the stuff. It is basically harmless unless you drink it. It is not absorbed through the skin in most cases. I suppose if you submerged a hand in it, it would eventually leach through, but it is a fairly large element, so it isn't readily absorbed.

A great many things that we put into our bodies are toxic, and we get them in large doses on a regular basis and we do it voluntarily. Mercury in a light bulb is the least of my worries.

Also, people can generally ignore all these "toxicity" warnings, because every major study shows that poisons, such as radiation, or arsenic, actually increase vitality and lifespan if they are given in small doses. One of my Physics professors has a popular study posted on his office door where rats were given lethal doses of Arsenic. If it was given all at once it killed them. If it were given over 30 days, it made them sick, but they fully recovered. If it were given over several months, it increased their lifespan 30%!

I always go back to the Dihydrogen Monoxide example. That molecule is a the major component in acid rain. It is found in all cancer cells. It is lethal if inhaled. It can be lethal if ingested in mass. It results in billions of dollars of property damage every year. It is considered a mild acid. It is corrosive to most metals. In solid form it can burn skin. etc., etc. Should we ban it?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by seattletruth
They simply use a little more electricity

Yes, a little more electricity. And compared to LED's, incandescent bulbs use alot more electricity. LED's are the way to go.

Also, more electricity means more stress on our power grid. So, that means YES they are detrimental to the environment. Do your share and go green.

Of course, I would expect these comments and this type of thread from someone like you. Not surprising in the least....

[edit on 11-3-2010 by _BoneZ_]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
they are already (incandescent) unavailable in oz since last september.

i suspect the mongrels have a special body of people/NWO thugs/scientists, who make up a think tank to unearth ways to screw the public in a multitude of ways.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Those new bulbs really suck... they are expensive and do not produce quality light. It really bothers me that congress would get into what a consumer uses in their household, and if the consumer wants to burn an incandescent bulb, who really cares? They don't pay the electric bill around here.

You know that for congress to get involved in something like this, there must have been some tap dancing lobbyist greasing their palms, because these bulbs cost 10 times more than regular bulbs and their claims that the bulbs last years is complete bull. They can burn out just as quickly as any bulb.

I am not sure about the LED bulbs... might be better, but if you consider the cost factor, you can burn through a dozen incandescent bulbs for the same price as 1 of the new bulbs. The savings on energy efficiency is lost on the front-end purchase of the bulb.

Congress is a joke for even taking up such an issue. What's next?

[edit on 11-3-2010 by mapsurfer_]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Ive broken some CFLs and I just sweep them up. I didnt even open a window. They must not be that bad if Im still alive. Also someone told me theres not enough mercury in them to hurt you.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mapsurfer_

The savings is not wiped out by the upfront cost. The CFL bulb is the far better economic choice. You should research the cost savings of CFL bulbs a little more. Also, newer CFL bulbs are entirely equal in quality of light. Some of the older and/or cheaper versions take a while to light up, or they hum, or they have a "washout" effect, but not the better/newer versions.

www.energysavers.gov...=12060

Table 2. Cost Comparisons between CFLs and Incandescents 25-Watt Compact Fluorescent 100-Watt Incandescent
Cost of Lamps CFL $3.40 Incand. $0.60
Lamp Life CFL 1,667 days (4.5 years) Incand. 167 days
Annual Energy Cost CFL $6 Incand. $25
Lamps Replaced in 4.5 years CFL 0 Incand. 10
Total Cost CFL $29 Incand. $134
Savings Over Lamp Life CFL wins $105

These savings also have a cumulative effect because of the latent heat that does not have to be overcome by the houses AC system. The lower amount of solid waste from the 10 bulbs that were thrown away is a factor, as is the amount of raw material that does not have to be used in manufacturing.

My entire house, including my flood lights in the yard and my decorative candle bulbs in the chandelier, are all CFL bulbs, and they all work wonderfully. No headaches, no noise, no inconvenience. I did have to give up my dimmer switch on the chandelier though, and I did make the mistake of buying some cheaper bulbs once, but I learned that lesson and now I only buy good ones.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by getreadyalready]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The longest living incandescent bulb is the one in Livermore (?) that burns
since 1904 (?) in a fire department.

No mercury bulb will ever beat that.

The incandescent bulbs are being taken progressively from European
markets. The 100 W are already no longer available. I bought a stock of
50 in time. I have to stock up on the 60 W bulbs now, because I prefer
those old bulbs for their softer tone and greater brightness.

The incand. bulbs are producing a lot more heat that is in 8 months out of
12 not wasted in my country and helps heat the house. The heat production
is normally used as a counter-argument when comparing it to the mercury
light.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Udo Hohnekamp Lux.

Those old incandescant bulbs are not the same as the ones we have now. The filament in that thing is probably larger than the wires in our walls at this point!

I wonder how much heat that thing produces, and how much electricity it wastes?

This electricity issue is a power-grid problem. Homes used to have 25 Amp service, and then 50, and over the last 15 years or so they have jumped from 100 to 200 amp service! We have far more electronics in our homes now, and our grid is still designed for the 50 amp service of the 50's.

Our cars are seeing a similar transition. The Auto Repair industry is gearing up for the 42-volt version of automobiles that is soon to come. 12 Volt car batteries are going by the wayside, they cannot keep up with today's electronics.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Despite being an old Greenie, I agree this is one more crime against humanity. The question is, qui bono? Who is "making a killing" from this huge new market for mercury?

There has to be money involved, because a forced switch to dangerous fluorescent now when cheap, safe LED lights are phasing in is illogical.

Sadly, we can no longer buy incandescent globes in Australia, only fluorescent ones.
And the worn out ones all go in with the ordinary garbage. Perhaps there is something safer I should be doing with them, but I don't know what.
- I am open to advice.

I just checked and our government's answer to the problem is to hope the manufacturers might like to solve it.

“With import restrictions and retail sales ban of incandescent lights, we expect to see a rise in the number of compact fluorescent lamps being purchased and the subsequent disposal of these mercury-containing lights,” explained Mrs Roper.

“I encourage the lighting industry to develop a free and permanent take-back program to encourage more householders to safely dispose of lighting products and help to reduce Victoria’s overall environmental impact,” said Mrs Roper.

secure-au.imrworldwide.com...(CG)&ci=(CID)&tu=http://www.sustainability.vic.gov.au/resources/documents/EWTF_SV.pdf

I've also just rung the local council. They have a depot which will accept fluorescent globes, but it is miles from any public transport, impossible to get to without a car. And they won't do pick-ups. The lady I spoke to said not to worry, it's fine to just wrap them in newspaper and dump them in the regular bin, (not the recycling bin,) like everyone else.
. . .

I had a little chat to her about the dangers of mercury, and she was actually very nice and interested.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
You can always buy some of these, they are LED light bulbs.
www.ccrane.com...

I no longer like compact fluorescent lights because they are so bad for the environment and I hear the light they emit is not healthy.
So no wonder they want to switch ban regular lights. If its bad for us they want us to have it.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
As someone who recently went solar (wind genny just arrived, not yet installed), L.E.D. bulbs are not the heartache that they once were. Now, myself, I've always liked LED. Did you know that when you wear an LED headlamp at night that all animal eyes are illuminated like little diamonds? It's similar to the "red eye" phenomenon in photographs -- it's the angle between your eyes and the target, so a headlamp is the way to go. I can step outside my house at this very moment and literally see where all (or most) of the spiders are, frogs, etc.etc. Good for finding your pets at night.

Okay. LEDs are now made in "daylight" or "soft" light. It's sort of a soft yellow, and looks pretty natural at night -- much like, say, a 60W incandescent bulb. Pleasing, even. Don't forget too, that LED bulbs rarely burn out. My dive light is an LED, and I've had it for more than 15 years, still working. Energy efficient too. My primary headlamp (I have several....... it's an illness, I suspect).... generates 1 watt, and is plenty to see whatever I need to. I runs off 1 AA battery. I use rechargeable batteries, and haven't replaced the battery for months. I use the light every night for at least 15-20 minutes.

We have several of these in our house. Also have a couple of these for utility lights, and our night light in the bathroom is a single white LED that is inside a conch shell. Purdy.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I don't like the idea of mercury being within anything I use... but I will admit I remember back when I was in like 6th grade, we were given plastic bags with mercury in them to play with. I know now they don't allow children to play with mercury but I don't remember anyone getting sick from playing around with the mercury.

But I do understand mercury can pollute our water and such, which I dislike very much. I think the whole mercury in the bulbs should not be allowed. Is there even a reason it's there? Forgive me for not knowing if it's a big reason the bulbs work, but I haven't studied them that much.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

Agree with you, especially if we're talking about mercury gas/vapor. Does it do measurable damage if we break one? Probably not, but then most cumulative poisons don't lend themselves toward measurable damage initially. I also played with mercury in school.

I know this -- I used to work with semi-precious gems and did a lot of lost wax casting (mostly silver)... when I worked with cinnabar -- the ore of mercury -- I had to be very careful and vent the fumes caused by shaping the ore. It's beautiful, and polishes nicely, but I once got very sick from cutting it -- pounding heart, shortness of breath, headache, and the already-present ringing in my ears was LOUD. I was fine, I was working with cinnabar for several days, fine, still fine, WHAM! Not fine.

I choose to not dance with mercury gas, and therefore those bulbs are not allowed in our house. Executive decision,and all that.....

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Everybody seems to get in an uproar about this whole CFl thing and some of it isn't making sense to me and some of it makes absolute sense.

Has anyone considered that fluorescent lighting has been widely used in almost all office and commercial building structures as well as residential housing for nearly 50 years now.

If you work in an environment everyday that uses fluorescent lighting you are exposing yourself to the same dangers that some tend to think is a new idea and conspiracy to poison the general population.

Most of these new CFLs will make people sick, by emitting radio frequency radiation that contributes to dirty electricity, that can cause migraines, dizziness, nausea, confusion, fatigue, skin irritations, and eye strain.

Any type of ballast load especially fluorescent lighting gives off stray radio frequency's and electromagnetic fields. in electrical terms it causes a phenomenon called harmonics, that CAN cause dirty power/ fluctuations in the sign wave.

Even though everyone knows that fluorescent bulbs should be disposed of properly, just as everyone is in an uproar over the disposal of CFL's.

The fact of the matter is I would bet my bottom dollar that most of the fluorescent tubes that have been replaced over the last 50 or more years have been tossed in the dumpster like any other wasted trash. And depending on the size of the tube, contains just as much if not more Mercury than the little CFL hanging in your light fixture.

What I don't agree with is when the government steps in and says you HAVE to use these . there definitely is a liberty issue there.

Also remember how nice it was to walk over to the wall and hit the dimmer to set the mood for the night and relax? well CFL's aren't dimmable. So all of those 20-30 dollar dimmer switches you had put in are now worthless. Up until recent as 8-10 years ago was the technology ready available to dim flourescent lighting. But that gets into some big bucks, and everything from the dimmer to the ballasts have to be compatible with a dimming application. The typical home owner just can't afford it and most likely cant afford it for some years to follow.

But the big question is do you really want to dim a fluorescent light.... I personally love the light an incandescent puts off far more than a CFL.

But the reality is that are power grid is ancient and in dire need of serious repair and upgrade...big time...
I can see CFL's helping out in that respect...hell I put them in my garage, basement and they do a good job of producing light. I don't like how they take a while to warm up especially when the temperature starts decreasing, but unless you have High Output fluorescent lighting your gonna have that.

I also see a valid argument for the increase in Mercury waste when this goes into effect as law.

It would seem we are screwed either way. Either continue to stress the electrical grid or deal with the waste of extra Mercury....

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Are you talking about red LEDs? Yes, it is very efficient. Are you talking about white LEDs? It is not so much efficient.
It is bellow 0 for 4 month here. I'm f... happy with every Watt burned in my room. CFL are scum. Quality of light is bad, declared lifespan is lie, price is high, it is toxic ... I'm afraid that CFLs hype have nothing to do with environmental responsibility.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join