It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi School District Cancels Prom Amid Lesbian Date Controversy

page: 40
<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
No, the ACLU pretty much has a liberal, political correctness agenda -

That's just misinformation. I don't always agree with the ACLU, but they fight for people's rights, regardless whether they're right or left, conservative or liberal.

ACLU Fights for Christians

These links represent just a few of the many examples of the ACLU defending the free speech and free exercise rights of Christians (for purposes of this list, the word “Christian” means a person who self-identifies as “Christian”).

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Right back at you

ACLU Pros and Cons

The "pros" are almost all from the ACLU itself - what else would they say?

And the "cons" are from basically everyone else.

And from the ACLU's own website:

Immigrants' Rights
No Human Being Is Illegal
The Constitution guarantees the fundamental rights and civil liberties of every person in this country. Upholding the rights of the politically disenfranchised is vital; when the government has the power to deny legal rights and due process to one group of people, it puts all our rights in danger.

A statement contrary to the laws of the U.S. and the beliefs of a majority of its citizens when it refers to illegal immigrants - until amnesty grants enough illegals citizenship rights anyway ...

[edit on 3/29/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Right back at you

ACLU Pros and Cons

The "pros" are almost all from the ACLU itself - what else would they say?

And the "cons" are from basically everyone else.

And from the ACLU's own website:

Immigrants' Rights
No Human Being Is Illegal
The Constitution guarantees the fundamental rights and civil liberties of every person in this country. Upholding the rights of the politically disenfranchised is vital; when the government has the power to deny legal rights and due process to one group of people, it puts all our rights in danger.

A statement contrary to the laws of the U.S. and the beliefs of a majority of its citizens when it refers to illegal immigrants - until amnesty grants enough illegals citizenship rights anyway ...

Please explain in legitimate terms - how that is contrary to the laws of the U.S.

Belief has nothing to do with it.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I saw this article a while back on some other site .... Even though I disagree with the practice of proms (seems unnecessary and overrated to me!) I was very shocked by this. What did they think she was going to do? By this point all the other kids know she's gay, so its not like they're going to freak out. Their generation is far more tolerant than that of those running the school board ....

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I was curious about that, too... People in this country aren't guaranteed civil rights? Since when? I guess he thinks only citizens have rights. The others, we can do whatever we want to to them.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic/
reply to post by Annee

I was curious about that, too... People in this country aren't guaranteed civil rights? Since when? I guess he thinks only citizens have rights. The others, we can do whatever we want to to them.

Exactly! No where is there a reference to citizen. Civil/Civilian is quite clear - - as it is part of the name.

Like I said up-thread - I did not "get" the ACLU at first. With maturity I did.

I'm not crazy with them protecting the rights of the KKK - but I get it.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

They also represent pedophiles, convicted murderers etc.....seems they don't really care as long as they are making that mighty dollar....they still seem to me to be professional extortioists.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

They also represent pedophiles, convicted murderers etc.....seems they don't really care as long as they are making that mighty dollar....they still seem to me to be professional extortioists.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
reply to post by Annee

I think that the ALCU is there to remind folks that, up to this point, even the bad guys have rights. The public at large may resent that fact, but that's the system you swear allegiance to, right?

Don't forget, it's not beyond the capabilities of any elected official to ignore that fact, in keeping one eye on the next election. Was it Liz Cheney (not elected, I know) who decried the lawyers defending terrorists of late? Ultimately, you decide what kind of country you live in...under the rule of law, or judicial process only when it suits you.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Johnny, you are absolutely right. Even convicted criminals (and illegal immigrants) have rights, no matter how many would like to think they don't. This lip service to the Constitution is one of my pet peeves. People believe in the Constitution, but only for some... Bah!

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

And people like the aclu members/lawyers make sure and twist the Constitution to fit what every screwed up idea they have. It's all a money making scheme...time was they had a place in our judicial system, now they are just well paid extortionists.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Johnny, you are absolutely right. Even convicted criminals (and illegal immigrants) have rights, no matter how many would like to think they don't. This lip service to the Constitution is one of my pet peeves. People believe in the Constitution, but only for some... Bah!

Exactly. Civil Rights is Civil Rights - period.

EVERYONE has the same Constitutional rights. That's the part that took maturity for me to "get". I don't always like it - but I "get" it.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Is Constance at the private prom tonight? I guess we'll find out tomorrow. I read that she would attend with her girlfriend and her father, but I don't know how reliable the source is.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Constance went to the prom. However - the "alternate" prom at the Country Club was a fake distraction - that only 7 people showed up at - including a couple learning disabled kids - who were also not invited to a SECRET prom at an undisclosed location - - put on by parents - WITH the schools approval.

These people are unreal.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Constance went to the prom. However - the "alternate" prom at the Country Club was a fake distraction - that only 7 people showed up at - including a couple learning disabled kids - who were also not invited to a SECRET prom at an undisclosed location - - put on by parents - WITH the schools approval.

These people are unreal.

There were 2 articles in the NMiss Commentor about this; one today, one yesterday, both linked below...

What Happened At Constance McMillen’s Prom

Constance talks to the Daily Journal about prom fiasco

Edited to correct the 2nd link (thanks for the heads up, Annee).

[edit on 4/6/2010 by Kennit]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Thanks for the links.

My info comes direct from OutQ radio today - in a discussion and confirmation direct from Constance - on the Michaelangelo Signorelli show.

Which is why I had no news links.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by Annee]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I'd bet the kids who did go to the secret prom - - will be haunted by it in the future.

The parents may get the opposite results they'd hoped for.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Kennit

reply to post by Annee

Thanks for the update and links.
This is the kind of thing that gay people have to deal with in these backward clumps of our society. Some people will never catch up. I honestly feel that Constance will just get stronger and stronger as a result of these people's ignorance.

First, there’s a cowardice and dishonesty to this that I would hope even folks who don’t accept Constance McMillen’s right to be herself would find reprehensible.

I say don't count on it. Those who don't accept her right to be herself are going to be gleeful about this as already displayed in this thread. That's OK. Constance is going to be fine.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Just another note on this. This shows the heart of Constance McMillen.

Two students with learning difficulties were among the seven people at the country club event, McMillen recalls. "They had the time of their lives," McMillen says. "That's the one good thing that come out of this, [these kids] didn't have to worry about people making fun of them [at their prom]."

Source

Also, the ACLU is far from finished with this case.

The ACLU has also spoken out regarding the fake prom. They are outraged and plan to take legal action against the Itawama school district again:
At the least, Bennett said the details about Friday’s prom would be used in the organization’s damages suit against the district, which is still being developed.
“Whatever we find will be brought to the court’s attention, whether it is in the damages trial, or whatever. There will still be a trial on the merits. The case didn’t end in the preliminary hearing.

Source

I wonder if the ACLU would have dropped this if the district had complied... In any case, this isn't over.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
There still is no gay rights, no matter what you people think.

Its sick that a school decides who students talk to or not and go to a dance with.

I wonder how her class mates treated her.

top topics

<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join