It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi School District Cancels Prom Amid Lesbian Date Controversy

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Now, can you answer my question? How, specifically, did Constance try to impose her lifestyle on the school.

[edit on 4/7/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

I've said it once and I'll say it a thousand times - she wanted to bring a same-sex date to the prom. That's a GAY/LESBIAN lifestyle, TYVM. The school didn't want it in the prom and had set the rule a year, maybe longer in advance. It's very interesting that this was never a big issue until the rules directly inconvenienced her. Constance knew about the "opposite sex dates only" rule the year prior - she even said so in one of the news stories.

Why not just say - "Last year the was fine, but this year I actually want to go to prom with my girlfriend so this rule is now an issue!"

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
The rule in itself is 100% unconstitutional and in violation of civil rights.

At this point - - anyone who does not understand that - - does so because they Choose to.

And deliberately and intentionally choose to wear blinders. Seeing only what and how they choose to see.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
I've said it once and I'll say it a thousand times - she wanted to bring a same-sex date to the prom.

Yes. That's not forcing anything on anyone. That's just expressing who she is. If the school had a rule that no praying was allowed at the prom, you'd be on the other side of this issue so fast your HEAD would spin. And you know it. And I would be there with you. The existence of the school rule was a violation of the first amendment. Period.

The school didn't want it in the prom

That's too bad. And they KNEW it! They KNEW they had no legal standing. That's why they canceled the prom.

Why not just say - "Last year the was fine, but this year I actually want to go to prom with my girlfriend so this rule is now an issue!"

That IS what happened! Last year, the rule didn't affect her, but this year, she wanted to do something about it because it DID affect her.

I've seen you stand up for people's first amendment rights SO many times. But now, because it a gay person that is demanding them, all your support of the first comes to a screeching halt. Loosen your blinders.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Why in the heck does it matter when the young woman decided she wanted to challenge a rule that is blatantly unconstitutional? We don't get to pick and choose which rules apply to us or anyone else. It would not have hurt a sinlge person there to witness a lesbian couple dancing/kissing. Live and let live.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Can we just include this in this thread?

SCHOOL SENDS TEEN WEARING 'GAY' SHIRT HOME

School Board Says Shirt Would Escalate Prior Disruptions

Nashville News - 4-6-10 - by Sara Dorsey

WHITE HOUSE, Tenn. -- Just about anything is printed on a T-shirt, but a certain slogan has sparked a fight over free speech at a local high school.

It isn't a four-letter word that's the problem; it's a three-letter word: gay.

Cole Goforth's mother said the school is violating her son's freedom of speech and expression rights because kids who wear religious shirts and rebel flag shirts aren't sent home. The school said a shirt he wore is a disruption.

"I got it at the Rivergate Mall," Cole said.

The 15-year-old doesn't try to hide his sexual orientation. But his actions drew the attention of Greenbrier High School administrators on Monday. When they saw the shirt, a takeoff on performer Lady GaGa's name, they sent him home to change. The shirt said "I Heart Lady Gay Gay."

"She said I had to remove the shirt that it was going to cause disruption in the school," said Cole.

Cole's mom said he's worn shirts that say "gay" to school in the past with no problems and feels that this is less about the shirt and more about her son's look and orientation.

"I think they are singling him out, I really do, and they've made statements that if he wore this in California, he'd fit in just fine," said Julie Gordon.

The Robertson County School Board dress code does not specifically ban shirts with the word "gay" on them. But it does say that each principal can interpret the dress code and take action if a student's dress causes a disruption.

Administrators said they stepped in Monday because of a fight that happened the week before.

"We've had a few disruptions the last few days, and we thought the slogan on that shirt would continue to escalate those incidents that had occurred," said Danny Weeks, assistant director of the school board.

www.wsmv.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I guess since he couldn't wear the shirt to school, he should get $30,000 in free tuition, a job offer t.v. appearances and and a potential settlement from his school as well. Once a group latches onto a money making scheme that works, they sure seem to make the most of it.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
In the case of the Tennessee Gay Shirt boy, the school set a precedent by allowing him to wear gay shirts before.

This issue is completely different than Gay prom Girl.

Gay Shirt Boy's case needs to be addressed so their can be a uniform dress code in place.

This highlights imo the issue of school uniforms. I support them in high schools. I dont support discrimination based on sexual orientation but this boys issue is not with his gayness but the official dress code.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

This is not a clear cut case of discrimination.

"We've had a few disruptions the last few days, and we thought the slogan on that shirt would continue to escalate those incidents that had occurred," said Danny Weeks, assistant director of the school board."

Sounds to me like the decision was for the boy's own protection and the parent and the media are the ones making an issue of this one.

Wearing a shirt that advertises "gay" can cause a problem. If the boy had been attacked as a result then you guys would be blaming the school for doing nothing.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by sos37]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
The school board says his shirt was "causing a disruption" and that's why he was sent home to change.

If someone wore a shirt that said, "I love Jesus" and it "caused a disruption", we all know who would be saying, "Too bad! It's Freedom of Speech"!

More political correctness BS. "Causing a disruption" is another way of saying that someone took offense at his shirt.

These kind of "disruptions" are going to become more and more common and the hypocrites who protect the rights of those with whom they agree, but would violate the rights of those with whom they disagree don't support free speech AT ALL.

I approve of disruption to the status quo. It makes people think.

Lady Ga Ga Gets Involved

Lady Gaga has now reached out to her teenage fan, writing on her Twitter page: “Thank u for wearing your tee-shirt proud at school, you make me so proud, at the monsterball, you are an inspiration to us all. I love you.”
“I love you cole, you just be yourself. You’re perfect the way God made you.”

[edit on 4/8/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

reply to post by hotbakedtater

This is not a clear cut case of discrimination.

"We've had a few disruptions the last few days, and we thought the slogan on that shirt would continue to escalate those incidents that had occurred," said Danny Weeks, assistant director of the school board."

Sounds to me like the decision was for the boy's own protection and the parent and the media are the ones making an issue of this one.

Wearing a shirt that advertises "gay" can cause a problem. If the boy had been attacked as a result then you guys would be blaming the school for doing nothing.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by sos37]
Please show me where I claimed Gay shirt boys case was a clear cut case of discrimination.

It is clearly a school policy issue being unevenly enforced.

It is in part discriminatory policy if he is allowed to wear gay on his shirt one day and not the other, and the policy needs tightening up. His rights were not violated like the lesbian prom girl.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I grant that this can be looked at from different viewpoints. It is possible the school was/is trying to be open/protective/and accommodating to all. The fact it is Tenn (bible belt) - does lend for suspicion.

Many schools have a policy of No Shirts with writing on them. There have been cases of parents suing the school for sending home their child with a T-
Shirt that said "I Love Jesus". In those cases the child was breaking a rule.

But this school had no such rule.

If there had been an incident - - was action taken against those who created the incident?

I can see talking to Cole & his parents - explaining "we are doing everything to protect you and your rights - - but there was an incident - - and you are making yourself a target wearing "gay" reference shirts."

It should be Cole's decision then to wear it or not. Since Cole is already openly gay - how does it make any difference if he wears it or not? It really doesn't.

The school is wrong. The real question is: What was their real intent?

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Annee]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

It is in part discriminatory policy if he is allowed to wear gay on his shirt one day and not the other, and the policy needs tightening up.

Completely wrong. The fact that he can wear the shirt one day but not another should tell you that they have no problem with him wearing the shirt and maybe, just maybe, they really are looking out for his well-being when they say a fight broke out the previous week that had to do with gay-issues and they fear that his shirt could spark another incident.

Geez, people! Do you want school officials looking out for the well being of your children or don't you?

Like I said before, if the school had done nothing and a fight did break out because his shirt sparked some kind of outrage, you would be criticizing them because they took no action beforehand to stop it! Theree is just no pleasing some of you people.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

It is in part discriminatory policy if he is allowed to wear gay on his shirt one day and not the other, and the policy needs tightening up.

Completely wrong. The fact that he can wear the shirt one day but not another should tell you that they have no problem with him wearing the shirt and maybe, just maybe, they really are looking out for his well-being when they say a fight broke out the previous week that had to do with gay-issues and they fear that his shirt could spark another incident.

Geez, people! Do you want school officials looking out for the well being of your children or don't you?

Like I said before, if the school had done nothing and a fight did break out because his shirt sparked some kind of outrage, you would be criticizing them because they took no action beforehand to stop it! Theree is just no pleasing some of you people.
Actually I think kids who get in fights and are disruptive should be kicked out. Schools shouldnt have to referee fights.

If banning the shirt is their answer to the problem of bullying then they fail. Thats a cowards way out. But in my opinion it doesnt violate civil rights, its a policy issue.

Quit trying to think for the both of us, Ill do my own thinking thanks.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Like I said before, if the school had done nothing and a fight did break out because his shirt sparked some kind of outrage, you would be criticizing them because they took no action beforehand to stop it!

And you're still wrong. I believe in personal accountability. If a fight broke out, I'd blame the kid who stated the fight and his parents. I'd also hold the school responsible for not being able to protect the children from bigoted bullies.

I suppose if a boy sexually attacked a girl, you'd blame her for growing breasts.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Like I said before, if the school had done nothing and a fight did break out because his shirt sparked some kind of outrage, you would be criticizing them because they took no action beforehand to stop it! There is just no pleasing some of you people.

He is already openly out gay.

He is not "today" announcing he is gay - by wearing a T-Shirt.

He is gay. Apparently everyone already knows he is gay.

Telling him he can't wear a gay T-Shirt sends a message all right. Being gay is wrong.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Like I said before, if the school had done nothing and a fight did break out because his shirt sparked some kind of outrage, you would be criticizing them because they took no action beforehand to stop it!

And you're still wrong. I believe in personal accountability. If a fight broke out, I'd blame the kid who stated the fight and his parents. I'd also hold the school responsible for not being able to protect the children from bigoted bullies.

I suppose if a boy sexually attacked a girl, you'd blame her for growing breasts.

No way, you're wrong on this one.

What are you going to do - a brain scan on everyone in the school to make sure that they don't harbor anti-gay feelings and that cue-words like "gay" on a teeshirt can't set them off? Because if one kid causes a fight because of a tee shirt it can happen again with another, different bully.

So yes, the school can punish the attacker after the attack comes, but like you said, YOU would hold the school accountable. So the school is in a no-win situation as far as you're concerned. Let the kids wear what they want to wear on their shirts and only punish bullies after the fact, after an attack happens - don't be pro-active about the problem, only be reactive.

Great philosophy there, BH.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

What are you going to do - a brain scan on everyone in the school to make sure that they don't harbor anti-gay feelings and that cue-words like "gay" on a teeshirt can't set them off? Because if one kid causes a fight because of a tee shirt it can happen again with another, different bully.

So yes, the school can punish the attacker after the attack comes, but like you said, YOU would hold the school accountable. So the school is in a no-win situation as far as you're concerned. Let the kids wear what they want to wear on their shirts and only punish bullies after the fact, after an attack happens - don't be pro-active about the problem, only be reactive.

Great philosophy there, BH.

Ahhh...once again, the 'B*tch made me do it' defence. How very sad...blame the victim. I suppose it doesn't register that your particular brand of rationalisation only embeds the problem...and the problem is decidedly not homosexuality...it is bullying and intolerance.

Both curable...as opposed to being gay.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

What are you going to do - a brain scan on everyone in the school to make sure that they don't harbor anti-gay feelings and that cue-words like "gay" on a teeshirt can't set them off?

I don't care HOW THEY FEEL. All I care about is the ACTION they take. There's a difference, you know.
We can't go around removing all the triggers that might set one of these bullies off. That's catering to the bullies, which I definitely do not condone.

The school does have some responsibility to provide a safe environment for the kids. But the bulk of the responsibility goes to the bully and his parents. I'm not big on preemptive attacks, so there should be education about the consequences of fighting in school. And if the bully starts a fight, he's outta there.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
CELEBRITIES SPONSOR GAY-FRIENDLY PROM IN MISS.
Lance Bass and Green Day are among the stars chipping in

TUPELO, Miss. - Green Day, former 'N Sync member Lance Bass and celebrity chef Cat Cora are among those helping to pay for a gay-friendly prom in Mississippi next month.

Organizers say the event is open to everyone but geared toward gay students.

The American Humanist Association also will contribute $20,000 for the May 8 event in Tupelo.

The annual prom is organized by the Mississippi Safe Schools Coalition. This year's event has drawn attention because of the case of Constance McMillen a high school senior who challenged her school district's rule banning same-sex dates at proms.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

And I'm sure there will be lots of gay boys and girls kissing and groping all over the place. Bring your own throw-up bag. Lots of music by Melissa Ethridge and Ricky Martin!

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join