It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banned in 160 Nations... Yet U.S. FDA Regards it as Safe?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+39 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
articles.mercola.com...

Quote from source:
A livestock drug banned in 160 nations and responsible for hyperactivity, muscle breakdown and 10 percent mortality in pigs has been approved by the FDA.

The beta agonist ractopamine, a repartitioning agent that increases protein synthesis, was recruited for livestock use when researchers found the drug, used in asthma, made mice more muscular.

Ractopamine is started as the animal nears slaughter.

How does a drug marked, "Not for use in humans. Individuals with cardiovascular disease should exercise special caution to avoid exposure. Use protective clothing, impervious gloves, protective eye wear, and a NIOSH-approved dust mask" become "safe" in human food? With no washout period?

The drug is banned in Europe, Taiwan and China, and more than 1,700 people have been "poisoned" from eating pigs fed the drug since 1998, but ractopamine is used in 45 percent of U.S. pigs and 30 percent of ration-fed cattle.

Yummy!!

The FDA is a joke. This is outrageous that this even got passed. Although really, our countries seem to love Aspartame and BHT. Why not poison the ones that are still stupid enough to be drinking/eating this garbage?

I think if you do not take the time and at least learn what you are eating maybe you get what you deserve. Maybe I am just being an a$$, but people should really start to take an interest in what we are eating.

Anyone want a steak with a side of poison?

Any thoughts?

Pred...

Modified the source link to lead to the original article, not a repost.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Do you know to what company "Elanco" belongs?

It is a division of Eli Lilly...

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

G'day predator0187

Thanks for posting this interesting information

Have you considered posting this in the Medical Forum?

You get some interesting discussion in there from people who might otherwise miss it in here (i.e. like me.....I only found this by chance....)

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
This is sickening news!

Even more sickening is that it no longer surprises me!

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

Sorry, I was thinking to do it, but I wasn't sure if it would be considered medical.

Thanks for the tip and maybe a mod can move if if they see fit.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
People, this is just typical America. Get used to it. When NWO is put into effect, the whole world is going to be like this, minus the whole other 160 nations. More just like the NWO does whatever the hell it wants.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
No doubt the FDA is a joke, but I'm not sure what to make of this specific instance. After doing some quick reading, it looks like Paylean(Ractopamine) is used also in Canada, Australia, Mexico, Japan, Brazil and dozen other countries, with more considering approval.

It was first approved back in 1999. So, to assume something is bad, just because it hasn't been approved in 150 countries, doesn't mean it is.

That being said, just because something is approved, doesn't mean it is good for you either. People just need to do their own research on products and never assume the government will protect you.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
Do you know to what company "Elanco" belongs?

It is a division of Eli Lilly...

What company was it that gave syphilis to half a million indigenous people in South Africa in the 50's to sell there new myacin or cillin?

It just escapes me right now....

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

I don't know about syphilis.

Maybe you're talking about the Tuskegee Experiment?

But HIV-tainted blood was distributed by Bayer and Baxter primarily.

[edit on 10-3-2010 by jjjtir]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Now I grew up on a dairy farm a few decades back. When we had a cow that developed mastitis (infection of the mammary glands) we had to inject them with antibiotics to clear up the infections.

Now, being that many people are allergic to certain antibiotics the milk had to be either dumped or what we did with it, is feed the calves.

What I am finding more and more bizarre nowadays, is that the FDA and other regulatory agencies are not looking at the safety issues anymore.

They are looking at the profit potentials in regards to their regulations.

I find it abhorrent the stories I read about the interactions between government regulatory agencies and big business.

I myself do everything in my power to buy local produce from the source. I feel sorry for people that have to buy from the mega marts around the US when I hear of stories such as this.

We still have a butcher that gets all of his meat from local producers. He requires that all of his sources be free and clear of any Growth Hormones and the like. Yes, his prices are about 35% higher than the grocery stores, but I would rather have my food-poison free.

Thanks OP. S&F

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

You are spot on.

Toxicology is becoming the most ignored and mocked scientific field.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

The American People no longer run America.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The largest U.S. doctors' group and one of the biggest American pharmaceutical companies reported spending more money than other health care organizations on lobbying in the second quarter of this year.
With the fight over President Obama's effort to revamp the nation's health care system escalating, the American Medical Association said it spent $4 million in April, May and June, according to reports to Congress due Monday. Eli Lilly, the Indianapolis-based producer of numerous drugs, ranked second in the health care sector at $3.6 million.

OBAMA: Vows to fight for health care overhaul

In reports filed by 5 p.m. ET Monday afternoon, 15 health-related associations and companies had reported spending at least $1 million each lobbying during the quarter.

The stakes are huge for the health industry. Congressional Democrats are pushing legislation that could cost roughly $1 trillion over the coming decade, paid for in part by cuts in federal health care programs such as Medicare. Lobbyists have been flooding Capitol Hill for months, and many interest groups have already invested millions of dollars in ad campaigns favoring or opposing various portions of the emerging bills.

According to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics, the health sector reported spending $127 million in lobbying during the first three months of this year, more than any other area.

It can take many days for all the reports to be filed. In the second quarter of 2008, 28 health care concerns reported spending at least $1 million lobbying.

Source: www.usatoday.com...

ShareYahoo! Buzz Add to Mixx Facebook TwitterMore Fark Digg Reddit MySpace StumbleUpon Propeller LinkedInSubscribe myYahoo iGoogleMore Netvibes myAOL
By Fredreka Schouten, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — The recession has battered the U.S. economy, but the lobbying industry is humming along in the nation's capital, even for companies that have shed thousands of jobs in the past year.
The 20 trade associations and companies that spent the most on lobbying increased their spending by more than 20% in 2009 to $507.7 million, up from $418.2 million a year earlier, according to a USA TODAY analysis of reports compiled by the non-partisan Center for Responsive Politics.

The top 20 include oil giant ConocoPhillips, which announced nearly 1,300 layoffs in January 2009, and drugmaker Pfizer, which shed 4,200 jobs since completing its merger with drug company Wyeth last fall.

ConocoPhillips and its subsidiaries more than doubled lobbying spending to $18.1 million last year as Congress worked on climate change legislation, the review of recently filed reports shows. The oil company had $8.5 million in lobbying expenses in 2008.

Pfizer and subsidiaries spent $24.6 million to lobby Congress and the Obama administration last year, up $12.2 million in 2008.

When asked about its stepped-up lobbying activity, Pfizer spokeswoman Kristen Neese said in an e-mail that the company is "committed to making our voice heard and to be constructively engaged in our nation's health care debate."

Officials with ConocoPhillips did not return telephone calls.

"Companies have made the decision that they are going to have to spend money today in order to protect their bottom line tomorrow, even if they are in the midst of layoffs, even if their profits are dwindling," said Dave Levinthal of the Center for Responsive Politics, which tracks money in politics. "When Congress is debating sweeping legislation ... they are going to come out in force, regardless of economic conditions on the ground."

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce led spending, pumping $144.5 million into lobbying last year, according to the center's tally. That's a nearly 60% increase over 2008 and came as the business federation battled Congress and the White House over legislation dealing with health care and financial regulation.

Spending jumped because the chamber also launched an advertising campaign last year, including TV ads slamming a congressional proposal to create a new consumer-protection agency to oversee lending, said R. Bruce Josten, the chamber's executive vice president for government affairs. The chamber needed to respond to "critically important, top-tier issues to the business community" coming out of Congress, he said.

More than half of the top 20 companies increased lobbying activity in 2009.

www.usatoday.com...

Our government is run and operated by "Corporate Ameria" and they don't care about you or your kid, bottom line: all they care about is profit.

[edit on 10-3-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by minute2midnight
No doubt the FDA is a joke, but I'm not sure what to make of this specific instance. After doing some quick reading, it looks like Paylean(Ractopamine) is used also in Canada, Australia, Mexico, Japan, Brazil and dozen other countries, with more considering approval.

It was first approved back in 1999. So, to assume something is bad, just because it hasn't been approved in 150 countries, doesn't mean it is.

That being said, just because something is approved, doesn't mean it is good for you either. People just need to do their own research on products and never assume the government will protect you.

Well that is a pretty sensible attitude. At the risk of sounding like a broken record What do you expect from the current economic system? It is all about profits over people. I saw the entire Mad Cow thing unfold in the UK. Why do we need to adulterate our food supply. I heard somewhere that over 98 % of the USA'a pork production is generated by 9 corporations. Most Americans do not have the benefit of pork production.

The trouble is that we do not know safe dosages for these chmicals and we persist in the assinine LD50 test mentality any. What is sad is should anyone experience any harmful side effects of this drug should they try a legal solution without being millionaires they will fail.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   

You'd be suprized. Many of the foods you eat every day have tons of crap in them. How do you think they have such a long shelf life?

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   

the plight of animals raised for food already makes me want to go vegetarian...then there's hormones, antibiotics, and this

everytime I eat, I imagine how the animal used live, love, and play...yes, even fish

the guilt alone is driving me insane

[edit on 10-3-2010 by reject]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Great post, OP...s & f..this needs to stay on top forever , in my opinion..get this out there..to everyone!!!!

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by BtotheG
People, this is just typical America. Get used to it. When NWO is put into effect, the whole world is going to be like this, minus the whole other 160 nations. More just like the NWO does whatever the hell it wants.

We shouldnt have to get "used" to it, though..there is no reason why anyone should have to be subjected to it..even the animals, themselves..but ask me how to solve it, I dont know..but Im willing to try!

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Good thread.
This reminds me of Monsanto and Aspartame.
Donald Rumsfield(spelling) and his contributions.

But the chemical, aspartame, is banned in other countries.
But its safe for use here.

With all the chemicals they inject into cows, pigs and other animals, its no wonder that people are becoming more complacent. Kids are maturing faster, boys are becoming girly, etc.

Natural chem-free food.

Man-made chemicals

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

If you haven't seen it yet, you might want to watch a documentary called Food Inc.

www.imdb.com...

[edit on 10-3-2010 by Phlegmi]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
What a rotten poison to feed livestock with

Given its use in pork production in Australia, I think I'll be buying organic pork products whenever I can from now on...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join