It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Continued Profits Are a Lock for the Prison Industry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Continued Profits Are a Lock for the Prison Industry

seekingalpha.com

Interesting data from your federal government:

The average wage of the 15.2 million employees in California, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, is $48,090. That's about $23.12 an hour.

Very low on the scale: Private security guards, at $25,950. Also bailiffs, who earn just under $49,000.

Yet relatively high on the scale is state prison guards, who can, with overtime, easily earn more than $100,000 a year. By contrast, a kindergarten teacher in the Golden State can expect to pull down an average $56,540.

If that makes you crazy, try this statistic on for size: Fully
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
This is simply despicable.
I know I have to write down a personal comment but often times I'm simply at a loss for words when it comes to the greed and corruption rampant in the higher ranks of society.

In 1980, 319,598 people were in prison. At the end of 2008, the latest year for which the Department of Justice has data, the total U.S. prison population stood at 1.5 million, a gain of +375%, exceeding the growth in the general population -- +32.4% -- more than tenfold.

Low costs, strong margins and an endless supply of "customers" is as good as business models get.

seekingalpha.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

“According to the US Department of Justice, approximately 30-40 percent of all current prison admissions involve crimes that have no direct or obvious victim other than the perpetrator,” the report finds. “The drug category constitutes the largest offense category, with 31 percent of all prison admissions resulting from such crimes.”

Source

Why is everyone talking about the coming police state when it is already here... and privatized?

How can anyone take any government official serious when they talk about budget cuts when so much money is wasted on prisons, or oversees in endless wars and aid to Israel?

There are so many ways to save money and to help this country back up to it's feet, but I'm increasingly becoming more convinced that the opposite is being worked at, hard.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by Conspiracy Pianist]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The police state is here, indeed.

Infrastructure? Check.

Indecipherable legal code? Check.

Indoctrination and intimidation? Check.

Mandatory minimums overriding judges? Check.

top topics

join